PDA

View Full Version : Closer to finished.

kyratshooter
10-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Last year, right after I bought the shack, someone gave me a load of insulation and the dropped ceiling that had been holding it.

The insulation went into the new stud walls I built, and now the ceiling is going up.

If I am not careful I will have to stop refering to the place as a shack. I even got fresh paint on the drywall I put up.

One of the neighbor ladies even brough me some curtains she had replaced. Curtains for petes sake! I will get thrown out of the Geezers Association if I put those lace curtains up!

I had really planned on camo drapes with ammo box end-tables, a love seat made out of an army cot and one of those nice morter-shell-crate coffee tables. Some cat tails in a bucket to add to the decor and such. I was really wanting to go for an "early duck blind" motiff.

Now she's going to ask how I like the lace drapes and I need to stay in good graces with my neighbors. They invite me over for real woman cooked food on occasion.

:confused1:

NCO
10-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Well, try to do a compromise of both.. hang the curtains and get the mortar-shell-crate coffee table. The end result will be (probably) psychedelic or at least odd, but you achieve both goals. Keep the neighbor ladies happy and get some of that manly look in there.

BENESSE
10-16-2010, 11:11 PM
I think she's putting the moves on you kyrat.
First it's the lace drapes, followed by a casserole and an invitation to church on Sunday.
The rest, well...I don't need to set it to music do I?

BENESSE
10-16-2010, 11:18 PM
BTW, I like your idea of "Survival Casual" for decor.
Very underrated, but always in good taste.

Pal334
10-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Listen to what B says, next thing you know, you will be taking your boots off before you go inside! Sheesh,,,,

Rick
10-17-2010, 07:05 AM
I don't think she's putting a move on him. She's just tired of seeing him walk past the windows naked!!!

BENESSE
10-17-2010, 08:28 AM
I don't think she's putting a move on him. She's just tired of seeing him walk past the windows naked!!!

...when all she's trying to do is watch...you know, to make sure he's taking his vitamins. :kiss:

Rick
10-17-2010, 11:17 AM
It's probably the thong that got her attention.

NCO
10-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Or the lack of the thong?

SARKY
10-17-2010, 12:47 PM
you made your bed .... now sleep in it!

kyratshooter
10-17-2010, 10:07 PM
My shack has become the neighborhood "project". It truly was a shack and had been an eyesore on the road for ten years. I bought it, gutted it out and completely rebuilt it from the inside out.

But, when spring broke I immidiately put new siding on the outside. Clean and white with black trim. Folks stopped and thanked me for sprucing the place up!

Folk up and down the road started dropping by, watching the work progress, offering loan of tools, tractors, bobcats.

The neighbor lady has a good husband all her own and keeps very proper around me. Second best Mexican cook I have ever known (first best was my late wife).

I think she is thankful to me for talking to her husband about my experiences when my wife died. We did not have our will in order and the probate was a disaster. She said after talking to me he made an appointment with an attorney and reworked their will and estate planning.

Good folks on my road. Hard workers and well trained individuals of all kinds. Got a desil mechanic across the road, metal fabricator on the corner, custom farmer two doors down, Doctor 1/4 mile, down by the lake. I even have a judge on the corner. In between are us retired guys that keep an eye on the place through the day.

BENESSE
10-17-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm glad for you kyrat.
It's just the kind of community movies are made of.
Heck, I hope one day when we move we'd move among people just like that.
Well, you too.:)

Winnie
10-18-2010, 03:55 AM
Here's a compromise on the Curtains... Dye the ones your neighbour gave you camo colours, and presto! You're both happy! :DJust say to her the colour wasn't right.
Oh and you're one very lucky chap to have such a wonderful community to live in.:thumbup1:

Rick
10-18-2010, 06:16 AM
Camo lace curtains. Hmmmmm. Hang on a minute. Hey, Honey, on the forum they said.......

kyratshooter
10-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Here's a compromise on the Curtains... Dye the ones your neighbour gave you camo colours, and presto! You're both happy! :DJust say to her the colour wasn't right.
Oh and you're one very lucky chap to have such a wonderful community to live in.:thumbup1:

That would do the trick! Tie-dyed lace curtains! I bought a camo quilt I can use for a throw over the day bed. I need to find something to put over the Lazyboy and I will be set.

Got to find one of those floor lamps made out of a double barreled shotgun.

Rick
10-18-2010, 01:53 PM
Just use a real one and stick a candle in both barrels.

BENESSE
10-18-2010, 02:26 PM
If you wanna go all classy, this is it. I'd dig this myself.

http://www.wetanz.com/tommy-gun-floor-lamp/

Winnie
10-18-2010, 02:39 PM
That would do the trick! Tie-dyed lace curtains! I bought a camo quilt I can use for a throw over the day bed. I need to find something to put over the Lazyboy and I will be set.

Got to find one of those floor lamps made out of a double barreled shotgun.

One of these any good;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAMOUFLAGE-PRINT-FLEECE-BLANKET-THROW-ARMY-NEW-/220683531020?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Bedroom_Bedding_PP&hash=item3361c3730c

Rick
10-18-2010, 04:32 PM
No, no. He'd rather have a Snuggie!

http://www.snuggiefanclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/styles_CamoMaster-400x400.jpg

Winnie
10-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Oh I've got to get me one of those! Do they do one in Lilac?

Rick
10-18-2010, 05:58 PM
http://www.mysnuggiestore.com/p-2010-snuggie-true-fun-peace-love.aspx

hunter63
10-19-2010, 04:20 PM
So, anyone find camo bath towels?
No, not the little camo panel, full camo, big bath towels.

KS, congrats on "The Shack", we are kinda going for the trappers cabin motif, at "The Place"

crashdive123
10-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Here ya go.

http://www.kimlor.com/pattern/Advantage/Bath-Towels.html

kyratshooter
10-29-2010, 12:52 PM
It went down to freezing last night and is still in the mid 40s. That means I go under the house to work on a drain I have been waiting on.

You do not go under my house untill the temp goes down far enough to quiet down the creepy crawly things. Even now I have to check and make sure there are no skunks, possoms or coons under there.

When you see a stray cat running from under the house while looking over its shoulder you know there is something that needs killing under there

If you do not hear from me in a few hours you will know I am under the house, dead and partly eaten. That or I am in jail for driving to town while high on the PVC glue fumes.:punk:

kyratshooter
10-29-2010, 04:12 PM
I'm out and still alive. Sure is creepy under there. :surrender:

Winnie
10-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Well I'm glad to hear it! Find anything interesting?

crashdive123
10-29-2010, 05:42 PM
I guess we can call off search & rescue.....you DID say you'd be out in two hours.

hunter63
10-29-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm out and still alive. Sure is creepy under there. :surrender:

I can't tell you how many house trailers, crawl spaces, attic I worked in, trick is don't look around, or shine your light on stuff............just keep moving.
LOL, glad you made it out alive!

kyratshooter
10-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Well I'm glad to hear it! Find anything interesting?

It warmed up before I could finish so I had some company. Several thousand daddy longlegs and a couple of evil looking little brown spiders. We are covered up with Brown Recluse here.

I have lost three friends to brown recluse spiders over the years so I take spiders seriously. The brown recluse causes both tissue decay and organ shutdown.

No big critters that I saw.

I am going to need to go back under there again before long. I need to run the line for the cable tv/internet to the other side of the house. The underpinning also needs some work before the really cold weather sets in.

Wise Old Owl
10-29-2010, 08:00 PM
It's probably the thong that got her attention.

Theree was a thong? Rick... Put away the binoculars and the heat seeking stuff. Iquiring minds do NOT want to know.

Winnie
10-30-2010, 08:16 AM
To keep the spiders out of the house put some Conkers(Horse Chestnuts) in the corners of your rooms and one or two on each windowsill. It really works!
It's something to do with the smell apparently.

kyratshooter
10-30-2010, 06:49 PM
I will sure be glad when I get things settled down around here. I grabbed the 1911 to stop by the range and try a new load I had built and couldn't find a magazine anywhere!

That is going a strech too. I have a shoebox full of those things. Not a single one in sight, not even one stuck in the glovebox of the Jeep. Makes me wonder how long it has been since I poped a cap on the .45. I have been shooting mostly .38 lately.

This calls for a trip to the flea market after church tomorrow. There's a guy that sells mags there.

I also can not find a 3-12x50 varmit scope.

All this makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong!:angelwings:

Sourdough, if you find that Baretta see if my mags and scope are hanging around with it.

Rick
10-30-2010, 07:16 PM
There's a guy that sells mags there.

That is one tough church! Oh, you said....never mind.

kyratshooter
11-03-2010, 06:02 PM
That is one tough church! Oh, you said....never mind.

Flea market after church!!

Not that you would find unarmed people at my church. After all , this is KY, even my calm sedate Methodist pastor has a CCW. People pull up to the church and don't jump right out of their cars. It takes them a minute to put their guns in the glove box and lock them up.

I found the .45 magazines, but not soon enough to call off the 10 rounder I ordered from Promag. I had a 15 shot mag once but it stuck out the bottom of the gun for a foot and put it so off balance I could not deal with it. I think the 10 round will be better. I always considered my 7 round 1911 equil in firepower to a 21 round 9mm so this 10 round mag should make me equil to two Barettas and a Davis Darringer.

I got the house rearranged today. I am now living in the living room. I moved the bed to the front of the house so I can finish the painting and finish work in the back half.

It took me almost an hour to get all the electronics reattached! Computer, tv, DVD, VCR, modums, phone, I thought I was going to go nuts! The cat is really confused too. Her bed is not where it should be and she is not too sure about taking a nap with George the Deer in the same room. (George is my mule deer head mount.) She has not trusted George since he fell off the wall and scared her.

I don't know if I am going to be able to sleep with the refregerator in the same room with me. I sleep eat.

Rick
11-03-2010, 06:27 PM
This is just not a very good situation at all. You've made some rash moves without stopping to think the whole thing through.

1. Those lace curtains won't hide anything. They won't make anything look bigger either.
2. If you decide to move George and the cat attacks thinking it's saving your from George please consider how that will look from the outside. Police are sure to be called. RE: the lace curtains.
3. With a bed in the living room all the neighbor ladies might assume you are ill and have taken to your bed. If so, they might start showing up with apple pies, dumplings and such. If they see you are out and about they may conclude you have lost your marbles and send their husbands instead.
4. We are creatures of habit, us old guys, you will now have to unlearn the route to the bathroom and relearn a new route. It might be too late by the time you figure it all out.
5. Either tape the ice box door shut or your lips closed. HINT: One of the above requires air to keep running. Test tomorrow.

kyratshooter
11-03-2010, 07:48 PM
George is hanging over the window where the air conditioner is in the summer. It looks like he is sticking his head in the window. That may be part of what has the cat disturbed.

I now have plastic over the windows at the front of the house. I also put solid color pannels and miniblinds over those windows. I have no desire to spend time on Kentucky's sex offender registry. Naked women are works of art, naked men are perverts.

I have not hung the lace curtains yet. I want to wait until the finish work is complete to do that.

The trip to the bathroom should be no problem. I will turn right and immidiately bounce off the wall. That will send me ricocheting to the left and down the hall. I will be OK as long as I do not get my sleep eating and bathroom going confused and pee in the refrigerator!

:wheelchair:

Rick
11-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Well, if it happens, it won't be God turning on the nightlight for you. Just so you know.

kyratshooter
11-09-2010, 07:44 PM
I moved the camper from the side yard to the back yard for the past two days.

Normally you just hitch up and move, right? Not in Kentucky. In KY lots of stuff is straight up and down. My yard for one thing.

My camper in the side yard had the hitch on the ground and the tail end was 5 feet up in the air. The wheels were sitting on double blocks. It took 5 hours to get the wheels on the ground, ten minutes to move it.

It only took ten minutes to move it because when you get a 27' camper hitched to a Jeep Cherokee and point it down hill the transfer in elivation is rather rapid.

Then it took another two hours to level the thing in the new spot. It now has three blocks on the back side and the front side wheels are on the ground.

It will get a new camo paint job in the next few days.

Rick
11-09-2010, 08:06 PM
How long did it take you to get it out of the back of the Cherokee?

kyratshooter
11-09-2010, 11:52 PM
It usually takes quite a while, there is no inside latch for the rear door and you have to crawl across the seats to get back to the front.

I have to get inside the camper tomorrow and put all the stuff that fell off the shelves back in place.