PDA

View Full Version : Failure IS an option!

your_comforting_company
10-14-2010, 08:37 AM
When you try something new, and fail miserably, do you give up? Do you try again, taking in the quirks and nuances of your failure into account? Do you get discouraged and smash things?

Me, personally, I view every failure as an opportunity to learn. I've had many projects lately where I outright failed. I never let failure stop me. I never capitulate to inanimate objects, for I am human, and to be human is to err.

I hope that by posting my failed attempts, you can see that failure IS an option, and an opportunity to learn and grow. There is no shame in failure, in fact, I take great pride in my failures because every time I make a mistake, I learn something about the project, the materials, and myself.

I encourage every one of you to get out there and try something new. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, it is the nature of new things. Lets see some attempts at failed projects on the boards! I'm sure that every knife Crash has made was not the beauties he's been posting lately, just as I'm sure that every suit or sled or bag that AS has put together was ideal for him. It is largely through trial and error that we learn, practice, and become masters of our skillsets. Only through failures can you teach another what NOT to do, and only through failure can you gain the actual "boots in the field" experience that is built into "wisdom".

Never do this>> :surrender:

BENESSE
10-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Couldn't agree more YCC.
But at times I do wonder (in my case only) if it borders on hardheadedness & stupidity.

Winter
10-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Thomas Edison was asked if he ever got discouraged over his failures trying to make the light bulb.

Edison said they weren't failures, the were discoveries of what didn't work.

Sourdough
10-14-2010, 11:51 AM
When I served my apprenticeship the company had a ledger for each apprentice that recorded the parts we were machining that got scraped, the amounts were beyond belief.

crashdive123
10-14-2010, 01:47 PM
You haven't failed until you've given up. Everything prior to your success is just learning.

hoosierarcher
10-14-2010, 04:05 PM
You haven't failed until you've given up. Everything prior to your success is just learning.

Exactly! Very well put CD!

Ted
10-14-2010, 06:48 PM
So uh... what you all are saying is...uh.... I should start dating again????? LOL!!!!

Rick
10-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Well, Ted. There's failure and then there's failure.

Ted
10-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Well, Ted. There's failure and then there's failure.

Gee..... thanks for your support! Actually I never failed in that area, they did! LOL!!!!!

letslearntogether47
10-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Do I really have to post a picture of my first bow drill set?
It's 40 ft. up in a tree.:stupid:
But seriously,since I got my high blood pressure lower I've had a lot more patience.

rwc1969
10-14-2010, 11:10 PM

that right there is the truth.

The only shame in making mistakes is not learnig from them, even if it means making the same mistake 20 times before you do.

I feel the videos have helped me see my own mistakes much better, just like a sports team might look over video of lost games. It works!