PDA

View Full Version : Reverse osmosis pumps

Tony uk
01-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Has anyone ever consisered useing Reverse osmosis pumps to purify water or to remove salt from it

I was looking at water filters and saw a reverse osmosis one and wondered can it be used to purify water for drinking ?

Ive heard that it is used in the medical industry to get clean water and also on life rafts at sea

Rick
01-03-2008, 08:38 PM
What size are you talking about. Personal to carry with you, home, other?

Tony uk
01-03-2008, 08:57 PM
A personal one, the kind included in life rafts

All i could find however was ones for your home and was wondering if any of you had used them in the field

Rick
01-03-2008, 09:09 PM
I've never even heard of one for the field. I had a friend that had one in his home. About the size of a medium sized garbage can.

Whoa! I did a search on Katadyn filters and here's what I came up with. Pricey!

http://www.basegear.com/survivor06.html

What are you going to use it for?

Tony uk
01-03-2008, 09:29 PM
If i could find one that was a good price then i was going to keep it in case i found a place where the water was salt water or needed to be filterd first

But now that i see the price i think that i will just forget the idea and stick to Haggis

Thanks Rick

Rick
01-03-2008, 09:48 PM
If you are on the coast, can't you dig a hole some distance from the high tide mark and allow the water to fill the hole? The salinity should be reduced or removed by peculating through the dirt. Then use a regular backpacking filter or iodine or boil or whatever you normally use?

I found one a bit cheaper.

http://www.sea-pack.com/seapack.html

Gray Wolf
01-03-2008, 10:18 PM
I found one a bit cheaper.

Actually it isn't cheaper if you're counting the output and how long it lasts and it's limited use.

benefits...

* Produces 0.5 liters of drink in 5 hours at 68 F
* No pumping or electricity required
* High salt rejection – 97%

specifications...

* Volume: 1.8 liters
* Filter life: 10 days
* Filter output:
0.5 liters (one pint) in 5 hours - .5 liters per syrup pack - comes with five syrup packs and more can be purchased
* User effort:
Seconds to fill, no work or electricity required for filtering

I also don't see anything about filtering anything but 97% of the salt :confused:

Rick
01-03-2008, 10:23 PM
I just saw the price and threw the link on there.

Tony - You could probably distill the water or build a standing filter. There's one in the survival manual on the front page of the forum. I think I'd try the hole method and see if you couldn't get fresh water that way.

Tony uk
01-03-2008, 10:25 PM
That was the way i was going to use, but i was seeing if there was something out there to do it in less time

Thanks Everyone :D

Airplane Guy
01-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Osmosis pumps are packed in many life raft kits - even those rafts on board business jets and some airliners and military aircraft. The most common unit for rafts rated for 4 - 25 persons is the Katadyn (PUR) 06 Pump. This pump retails for approximately $750. My company sells them and tests/overhauls them. www.corpairparts.com