PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Veggies.

2dumb2kwit
10-09-2010, 05:03 PM
I first started getting frozen veggies, because they are cheap and easy to store. Now that I have been using them, I have come to the conclusion that they taste better than the veggies most grocery stores sell as "fresh". I know that what they call "fresh" is not what I call fresh, but I'm surprised that frozen ones taste better.

Does anyone else think this way, or have I lost my mind?....Wait, don't answer that.:blushing: Does anyone else think that frozen veggies taste better than what they sell as "fresh"?

Justin Case
10-09-2010, 05:23 PM
I Like those ones you just put in the micro and steam ,, Mmmmm,, those are always good :) Must be a different way they are frozen ?

BENESSE
10-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Well, I don't like the taste better in general, but I'm told they retain more nutrients--unless you pick your own and eat them right away.
Also, some frozen veggies (at least to me) taste better than others: corn & soy beans taste real good, whereas string beans, broccoli, spinach & cauliflower taste too waterlogged no matter how you cook them. I suppose it's all subjective but one can't go wrong with stocking frozen veggies no matter what they are.

Rick
10-09-2010, 06:27 PM
The draw back to stocking frozen veggies is both the length of time they can be stored and the problem you run into if you loose power for an extended period of time. I'd suggest having the ability to dehydrate if you've had them a while.

As for the taste, I'm not very picky when it comes to food and I'll eat just about anything. If it isn't fresh out of my garden then it all tastes about the same to me. I think you miss the heavy sodium that canned veggies have by using frozen, though.

Winnie
10-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Some things taste as good frozen, corn, brussels sprouts and peas I prefer frozen than fresh. But I agree with Bee, some are just too waterlogged to enjoy. I really don't like tinned veg at all, it's too salty and soggy. I choose fresh veg by the "freshness" of it, and work my menu round that rather than decide what I want to eat, then buy the veg.

LowKey
10-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Most frozen veggies 'steam' in the microwave or in a plastic pouch you throw in the water. How do you cook the real stuff? Boil the bejeezus out of it? Try steaming instead. It only takes getting one of those little hinged leaf baskets to put in the pot so the stuff doesn't sit in the water. You don't have to buy fancy steamers.

Most canned stuff is too salty for my taste. Much over 200mg on canned veggies tastes bad to me.

Rick's right about the freezing though. You can do good frozen beans and squash if you get the blanching right and be sure to drain it good so there isn't a lot of water in the pack when you freeze it. But the stuff tends to freezer burn within a couple of months (usually 3 months, maybe 4) so best to eat it when it's good. Freezer burn isn't like dehydrating, it doesn't boil out. But the veggies are still edible.