PDA

View Full Version : Field Dressing Moose.

Sourdough
10-03-2010, 05:44 PM
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/87695-quot-Gutless-quot-Moose-Field-Dressing-pt-1?p=812655#post812655

If one of the Moderators wants to move this to the other thread on Gutless processing, that be OK with me, or it can stand alone. No that is not me. But he does a good job of keeping the meat clean, which is damn hard to do.

crashdive123
10-03-2010, 06:29 PM
The thread is cool as a stand alone, but you can't see most of the pictures in your link unless you are registered and logged on. Now, if we had moose in Florida, I'd be registering and looking.

Batch
10-03-2010, 08:52 PM
I use the same blades shown in the post for gator.

BTW, gutless processing does make sense to me and is getting more and more common for hogs and what not down here.

Camp10
10-04-2010, 05:54 AM
I've been fortunate to get the moose within 500 ft or so of a place I could get my truck. I've never had to lug one out of the woods, so I've just gut them and hauled the carcus home for processing. I can get a 600' reel of rope from work and with a few running blocks and some good rigging, I can get them out of the woods alone using the truck for muscle. I have a rack with side bars on the back of my truck and I can tie the final block to it and suck the moose up into the truck without much effort also.

If I ever knock one down way out in the woods, I'll use this method though.

Sourdough
10-04-2010, 08:44 AM
I packed one out NINE (9) Miles one time, it two of us three days, eight-teen miles per day, about 90 to 110 pounds per load. Note: I was a much younger and stupider man back then.

Rick
10-04-2010, 09:14 AM
What did you do with the meat left behind until you could get to it? I assume this was winter so bears would be in hibernation but what about wolves? I would think the smell would draw them like a magnet.

Camp10
10-04-2010, 07:13 PM
I packed one out NINE (9) Miles one time, it two of us three days, eight-teen miles per day, about 90 to 110 pounds per load. Note: I was a much younger and stupider man back then.

It must have been one impressive animal to have chased it that far into the woods! Maine is all cut up with logging roads and you would have a tough time getting 9 miles away from a road, 4 wheeler trail or waterway even in the most remote parts of the state.

Now, here is a stupid (potentially) question...how to you size up your moose? Here it is usually dressed weight but if you cut it up in the woods and only cart out the meat, how do you answer the question "how big was he?" Yeah, I know that you measure the spread but that is secondary in Maine.

My last one was a cow and she weighed nearly 700 lbs. My son also drew a cow permit and his was 540 lbs.