PDA

View Full Version : Love the "Blade" Not crazy about the handle

Sourdough
10-03-2010, 03:29 PM
OK, I have had the Ontario "KA-BAR" SP-53 for about a week, and the blade is exactly what I have been wanting, however I am not crazy about the hard rubber handle.

So after the factory handle was removed, Could a "Crash'cartta" be molded into the tang.....? I want to move the tang forward, by removing the back 1 1/4" of the blade. Could the tang be placed in position on top of a stack of epoxy cloth layers, and "C-Clamped" down into the material for a molded fit. Then later do the other half of the handle the same way.

http://www.chestnutridgeknifeshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=51&products_id=935

gryffynklm
10-03-2010, 03:46 PM
SD, it sounds like you are thinking of a solid crashcartta handle with no seam as you would have with CrashCartta scales. That sounds interesting.

crashdive123
10-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Sounds as though you want to do a micarta wrap on it. I've only done it once, but kind of like the was it came out. I believe the key is to use fairly narrow strips (about 1" wide) that are soaked really well in the resin. Wrap them as tightly as you can, constantly squeezing, and rolling the handle in your hand to press it tightly. Make it bigger than you think you will need it. Instead of clamps, I wrapped tape around it as tightly as I could when through. Let it cure at least a day. You can use a file to get most of your shape that you want before you start sanding.

With that all being said, I'm assuming it has more of a stick or rat tail tang than a full tang?

Here's the one I did. (colors are optional)

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Knife%20Making/PimpedMora006.jpg

Erratus Animus
10-03-2010, 04:22 PM
It can be done, however it will need to be oversize so that you can shape it. If you were to just put a stack on the tang the width you want you will have a bulge in the middle where the tang pushes the material up.

Another way would be to make two stack of the micarta that when compressed would be equal to the thickness of the tang then proceed as normal. Reg epoxy , not the 5 min stuff or poly, will give you the longest pot life and strongest bond.

crash you just beat me too it!

Sourdough
10-03-2010, 04:37 PM
So, could I leave much of the existing handle and just wrap it......? Did you put a finish on those, or does it look like that after sanding....?

crashdive123
10-03-2010, 05:08 PM
So, could I leave much of the existing handle and just wrap it......? Did you put a finish on those, or does it look like that after sanding....?

If the existing handle can be sanded or filed so that there is a little left, I believe it would give the wrap something to grab a little better. If the existing handle is removed completely, I would probably pin the handle before wrapping it just to have a more secure handle.

For the handle in the picture - that's the finish. I wanted a large, round handle for some wood working (easier on the arthritis). Before I started sanding, it was quite a bit fatter.

Sourdough
10-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Crash, Could it be done as I layed out in the original post.......or would wrapping be a whole lot goooder..........???

crashdive123
10-03-2010, 06:21 PM
If I'm understanding - you want to lay it out against the tang and then clamp it up? If so, I don't see why it wouldn't work. The only issue may be how much work time you get with your epoxy. I know the heat isn't an issue for you - I get about 7 - 9 minutes working with the epoxy in the heat using only 1/2 the hardner. In the cooler temps I'll get 20+ minutes.

Sourdough
10-03-2010, 07:24 PM
If I'm understanding - you want to lay it out against the tang and then clamp it up? If so, I don't see why it wouldn't work. The only issue may be how much work time you get with your epoxy. I know the heat isn't an issue for you - I get about 7 - 9 minutes working with the epoxy in the heat using only 1/2 the hardner. In the cooler temps I'll get 20+ minutes.

Yes, do just what you do in your video for one side of the scales. But on the top piece of cloth put a sheet of saran wrap then the tang in position, then the block and clamps. Let set 24 hours, and drill three holes through the tang and out the one side of scales. Plug the three holes with clay so they do not fill with epoxy, and lay up the other side of the handle the same way. Later after cured, drill holes through the second side. Shape to personal preference.

crashdive123
10-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Yes, do just what you do in your video for one side of the scales. But on the top piece of cloth put a sheet of saran wrap then the tang in position, then the block and clamps. Let set 24 hours, and drill three holes through the tang and out the one side of scales. Plug the three holes with clay so they do not fill with epoxy, and lay up the other side of the handle the same way. Later after cured, drill holes through the second side. Shape to personal preference.

It should work. Tape the blade real well with masking tape. No mater how much saran wrap you use, epoxy will get every where. I would also extend your slab of micarta about 1/2 to 1 inch further down the blade than you plan on using. I always end up trimming abour 1/2 inch or so off the end, as that is where most of the slop in the construction will be (the ends). This way you can trim off the over lap and have a nice clean edge.

Sourdough
10-03-2010, 11:58 PM
It should work. Tape the blade real well with masking tape. No mater how much saran wrap you use, epoxy will get every where. I would also extend your slab of micarta about 1/2 to 1 inch further down the blade than you plan on using. I always end up trimming abour 1/2 inch or so off the end, as that is where most of the slop in the construction will be (the ends). This way you can trim off the over lap and have a nice clean edge.

WHAT.......Tape WHAT.......Mask WHAT........Hello, all along I figured to just send it to you.........:devil2::devil2::devil2:

crashdive123
10-04-2010, 04:27 AM
WHAT.......Tape WHAT.......Mask WHAT........Hello, all along I figured to just send it to you.........:devil2::devil2::devil2:

That'll work too. If you can, do a mock up on a piece of wood to show the size and shape you want.

shooter_250
10-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Crash...sir i love that Psychedelic hippie knife handle...i do..i do...as an old hippie, it calls my name...

perhaps in a few weeks, need for my health to get a little better...you might pass along some of your wisdom on how to make one...i have a Russell "Ripper" blade it would look very very nice on...

i like the sheath as well...but the handle just turns me on...

God Bless

Lee

shooter_250
10-04-2010, 10:22 AM
dagnabit...i didn't read everything...i just saw the knife and who posted and rushed to post...

ok let me start over...

CRASH...beautiful knife handle and thanks for the above tutorial..

my dumb a##

Lee

Rick
10-04-2010, 02:37 PM
It's okay, Lee. We do it all the time. We spend a lot of time pointing each other back toward the trail. We have a tendency to wander off. Oh, look, butterflies.

shooter_250
10-04-2010, 10:54 PM
thanks Rick,,,when i was younger we used to call it senility, but these days we call it...uuhh...hmmm...uuhh...oohhh....those are pretty colors