PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Winter Bug'Out would have to be a huge bag.

Sourdough
10-02-2010, 07:11 PM
The weather has been bad, and "SJJ" got me thinking about a winter bug'out bag. I have about 30 sleeping bags, and about 15 to 20 back packs so I figure start with a worst case assumption. In the middle of the night, sleeping as I do in winter in hooded sweat suit & sweat pants & socks (Remember the bathroom is outside). Could I have everything I would need in one Back Pack........? I think Not, but I am still working on it.

Now I have back pack camped at -31* BELOW, but the thing is I started out fully dressed in arctic clothing, boots, and parka, and snowshoes. Even compressed (Wool does not compress well) this stuff alone would fill a large pack. I am now thinking a small sled like the "I'Did a Ski" people use.

I am open to your thoughts. I am assuming no car/truck/ski-doo. Just bug'out with what you can carry or pull at -25* to -38* below.

doug1980
10-02-2010, 07:24 PM
I don't think it would ever be doable with just one pack. Even in the military we had multiple bags for our gear. We had our A bag which included our body armor, helmet, sleeping bag etc. The B bag was our cold weather gear like parka, gloves, boots etc. Then was our C bag which had all our chem gear ie: gas mask and suit. The final bag I had was my personal bag. Traveling to and from deployments wasn't an easy task but was necessary.

tipacanoe
10-02-2010, 07:32 PM
I would think, that unless it is a fire, you would be better off where you are at. You have everything you need for the time being, your not in a situation where problems in town or the city are driving you out. Heck, I'm thinking most of us would be heading to some place like yours. I think I would get a XL Jet sled as they pull pretty easy in the snow walking, and are quite stable, even at 50 mph behind a snow mobile (of course it depends on the terrain). The Jet Sleds are really inexpensive, there are others right in your state, but the prices are scary I think. http://www.northernsledworks.com/Northern_Sled_Works-Home.html

Alaskan Survivalist
10-02-2010, 07:37 PM
I do it weekly through out the winter. There are two levels to this. One is minimalist with basic web gear that stays on me all the time, the other is a fully packed sled. I have only met one other guy that does this also. He has a website dedicated to his drills and the one that got me started doing it weekly. Few people here would need to know this stuff but if you would like to get into it you'd be welcome on our training drills. That goes for all Alaskans here.

tsitenha
10-02-2010, 07:37 PM
The sled is a good idea, make sure the floatation aspect is correct fot the type of snow in your area and the time of year.
I have made modification on a regular wood toboggan 6' ...lashing points, side rails, ski poles for stability, pulling harness (I use an outside knife for an emergency cut off, in case sled goes through the ice, so it doesn't drag me in with it)
With a good snow load you could even pull 2 sleds one in the back of the other, like skis a proper wax coating will help a lot.
A snow machine could pull those sleds a lot easier or pull an even larger one if that is an option. Just have the packs pre sorted out as to their placement on the sled, accounting for balance and ease of loading and need.

tsitenha
10-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Something just came to mind, as talking about floatation on different types of snow I thought on adding some thin runners (maybe steel rods)to the bottom of my sled to help in tracking in harder icy crusts, haven't tried this yet but will give it a whirl this winter if all goes right.

Sourdough
10-02-2010, 09:08 PM
I keep everything I would need to survive a cabin fire in the grain barn, which is full of straw and would be a place to survive.

For this exercise I wanted to pretend I was run out, at night either by ten-thousand Zombie gang members on snow machines, or what ever fantasy one can dream up.

AS, I would love for you to do one of your wonderful threads on your survival camping sled contents.

What I did do today was put a pack together with two sleeping bags & a Nylon tarp & some food that is enclosed in three plastic bags inside the pack, that I can carry snowshoeing this winter, in case I got hurt or lost.....

Alaskan Survivalist
10-02-2010, 09:15 PM
I should also add the difference between web gear is minimalist survival gear to make what you need and sled gear is more like camping where you bring your what you need with you.

Sourdough
10-02-2010, 09:47 PM
http://www.otteroutdoors.com/ottersleds.html

huntermj
10-02-2010, 11:10 PM
I think the sled would be the only way to do this. Even at that for one person alone it would be a bit much. two people with sleds i think would be a better bet.

Quote: We had our A bag which included our body armor,

Man, we didnt get body armor when i was in. Now i feel like the army didnt love me.

Alaskan Survivalist
10-03-2010, 01:27 AM
There is too much speculation about things. Just do it then tell us what it took to do it (with pictures). Do it weekly and it does not seem nearly as difficult and a good way to get your blood pumping. You need that for good health.

Alaskan Survivalist
10-03-2010, 02:58 AM
GI Joes sure went to hell after he married that Russian girl and her family took over. $400 for an Akio! They are nuts! Drop Zone is much better and Second Chance is cheaper.

Alaskan Survivalist
10-03-2010, 03:34 AM
SD, keep it simple at first. I have stages to my survival strategy and you should start at the first and most important stage, WARM CLOTHING! With my clothing I have no need for anything else that is not in my normal kit. I use a gortex outer shell and can lay right in the snow bank and sleep. Simple tools for building a shelter, a tarp, swiss army stove, etc. You don't need a ton of crap, just warm clothes and a decent kit. My kit happens to include a tarp and a hammock to get me off the ground. I posted my kit on one of WE's threads.

I have kits set up that includes a tent from Alaska Tent and Tarp with a sheep herders stove and all the comforts of home but all that is for comfort.

Bottom line Warm gear, a good kit and whiskey. All you need.

Rick
10-03-2010, 04:37 AM
I have only met one other guy that does this also. He has a website dedicated to his drills and the one that got me started doing it weekly.

Do you have a link to his website?

crashdive123
10-03-2010, 06:45 AM
Sourdough - I remember you posting pictures of hauling water from the creek in a sled. Do you still have that one, and is it suitable for a bug out sled (or is it too heavy)?

Alaskan Survivalist
10-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Do you have a link to his website?

http://sereinternational.webs.com/

He is a member of this forum just has not done much here. He's more into doing it than talking about it. We are trying to find more people locally that want to train in the field. He also convinced me to start up another website a couple days ago that is up I just don't have much content on it yet and targeting local Alaskans into survival.

Sourdough
10-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Sourdough - I remember you posting pictures of hauling water from the creek in a sled. Do you still have that one, and is it suitable for a bug out sled (or is it too heavy)?

Yes, and now that I have the Ski-Doo Super Wide Track to haul water, The red military Air-Drop via Parachute sled will be perfect size. Plus it has a lock on top that has a rubber gasket.

Rick
10-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Thanks, AS. That looks like a good site. I've bookmarked it and I'll start reading through it this week.

DOGMAN
10-03-2010, 07:49 PM
I have an Otter Sled that I tow behind my snow machine, a small version of it would be great for what your planning