PDA

View Full Version : Saws & Axes info.

Pages : [1] 2

carcajou garou
08-25-2007, 08:33 PM
I have tried to find some info on this forum on the use of axes or hatchets and who if any use them on any regular basis.
I have carried a canoe ax for years when hunting or on the line or when trekking and find it extremely usefull but I wonder how many today still use axes or have the saws (folding or swede) taken president?

FVR
08-25-2007, 10:19 PM
I have two that I may carry every now and then. One is a bag ax, little with a good heft to it. Works well for small wood, pountind stakes, roughing out and tillering a bow.

The second one is a throwing hawk that a Cherokee Indian made me many years ago. Had the long handle on it for the longest time but then when it broke, the new one I cut down. It is alot more versatile now and alot easier to carry on treks. Both are kept razor sharp.

Sarge47
08-25-2007, 10:53 PM
I have a small Back-packing hand-axe made by Buck Knives, and a larger axe, just not a full size job, a small & large bow saw, and Gerber's folding hand saw with extra blade.:cool:

WildGoth
08-25-2007, 11:52 PM
i have a small boyscout axe that my dad had and i have a hand saw and a wooden axe and they are good for cutting small fire wood

smokelessfire
08-26-2007, 10:06 AM
how do you sharpen an extremely dull axe? grinding wheel? or whetstone for hours lol?

FVR
08-26-2007, 10:35 AM
File, diamond stone, then leather strap.

Well, that's how I do it.

Sarge47
08-26-2007, 02:30 PM
I do not carry an axe.
I do however carry a folding saw, and a machete.
The machete has proven to work very well for me, and is probably the tool i use the most when "out there".

Hmmm, a machete, you & Owl girl might have something in common here.:D

FVR
08-26-2007, 03:00 PM
I use to carry a WWII short machete during deer season. Worked great for getting through the thickets, since have traded that in for a pair of pruners. Lot less movement, snip, nip, nice and quiet.

Fog_Harbor
08-26-2007, 05:49 PM
I carry a small hand axe in my Jeep, but not generally with me unless I plan to be out for a longer time.

What I DO carry is a Ka Bar Kukri, which is heavy enough to use as a hatchet if one is needed. The only saw I carry is the small one on my Leatherman Core.

trax
08-28-2007, 03:42 PM
A small hand axe where ever I go "out there" as volwest put it. I sharpen it with a file. I keep a larger splitting axe in camp, not usually quite as sharp.

Friends usually bring me their axes and knives for sharpening. I use a diamond stone or Arkansas stone on knives, depends on the knife they usually tell me which they prefer. Sharpening is like therapy for me.

scabbyota
08-28-2007, 04:39 PM
I have a full size ax, hand ax, small bow saw and machete.

ATough
08-28-2007, 11:11 PM
I have a hatchet. got it for $35.00, and I must say it works verywell.

spiritman
08-29-2007, 08:30 PM
I've got a small older Scout hatchet that i found when I went backpacking that I usually keep with me.

carcajou garou
08-29-2007, 08:40 PM
In the last few years I have started to carry a GB hunters ax a bit lighter and smaller than the canoe ax and will do the job in a few strokes more.

ATough
08-30-2007, 11:22 AM
what do you guys think is the best axe?

trax
08-30-2007, 12:10 PM
There's plenty of good ones out there, we could get into that whole "depending on what you're doing" thing again too. The most important thing is to make sure you're using it properly for your own safety and the axe's and those nearby. Some guys really swear by these new composite/fiberglass handles, I've only used them a couple of times and I think they're ok, but mine are all wood handle except my little hand axe is all steel with a rubber grip.

I avoid getting into name brands, look at the excitement it caused in the knife forum, what I swear by FVR or someone might call crap and vice versa. But like anything else, if you spend a couple of extra bucks you'll probably be glad you did.

Sarge47
08-30-2007, 12:11 PM
what do you guys think is the best axe?

That's not gonna have an easy answer, dude. Everybody will have their favorite.:rolleyes:

ATough
08-30-2007, 01:23 PM
thats true.

FVR
08-30-2007, 11:27 PM
I have the best ax. Well, it's not mine it's a good friends.

Custom made weighs in about 1.5lbs. All stell, looks like an 1800's French trade hawk.

This thing is awsome, sharp, can throw it and it chops good also.

It is designed like the military combat hawks.

trax
08-31-2007, 10:31 AM
Personally, I think that the tomahawk or trade axe is the best overall designed axe. sounds like a good one FVR

robneville73
08-31-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm with volwest and owl girl apparently....I don't carry one. Usually carry a full-sized kukri (like a machete but more versatile IMHO). Makes very quick work of reasonable size wood and doubles as a large fixed-bladed knife and is fairly lightweight. I have a machete too, but for some reason, I'm personally not as proficient with it.

HOP
09-02-2007, 10:21 AM
I like axes and think that if the workmanship is there it is hard to beat, I have several swedish axes that are of good quality that I like a lot, some of the CS hawks are interesting with a little modification. I like folding saws also but again they need to be of high quality to work efficently. In camp axes and saws are great but in the survival role a large all purpose knife may be the better choice.

kufitar
09-02-2007, 03:09 PM
As a Finn I perfer a traditional Lapland leuku instead of an axe. I usually carry just a puukko knife if I'm out and about for a day trip. For a longer trip I carry a combo of puukko and leuku. Leuku is big enough to use as an axe and with puukko I can do everything else I need to... simple and practical tools in a same sheath!

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l135/cloudberrymarket/woodsknife/tupla1.jpg

Beo
11-02-2007, 10:24 AM
I got a great Hawk I take everytime I hit the forest, also have a hatchet that works well but don't use it as much as my Hawk.

MCBushbaby
11-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Only reason you'd need an ax over a knife, or in addition to a knife, would be if you are trying to fell or manage large chunks of wood. If you are doing some major bushcrafting by building a canoe or permanent structure, yes by all means bring one. But other than that a folding saw will suit most needs.

Hatchet should never be brought unless space is an absolute concern. For each 6" of handle gives about 100lbs or more PSI on the downstroke, not to mention 6" of half-wrist-thick wood doesn't weight much and should never be undermined by a hatchet. Let's put it this way, a 1.5lb head on a hatchet may take you an hour to chop thru a tree. But the same head on an armpit-to-hand length ax handle will do the job in at least half the time, and with less stress on the arms. The weight difference is only the small amount of extra wood you have in the handle.

Now that I've said my peace, the best ax would be multipurpose ax of the length described above. 1.5-2.0lb head is the best, anything more should be put on a longer shaft and be used for felling. The 1.5lb head on a 2-3ft shaft can fell, cut, limb, pound (though I do not recommend ax heads for pounding as it can destroy the eye), etc. Carbon steel, of course, ground to a concaved razor edge using file, stone, leather in that order.

Beo
11-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Nope take my Hawk everywhere :D

eddiec
11-06-2007, 09:22 PM
I always carry an axe when I'm out camping. Once I forgot it, and had to break all of the fire wood by hand. Needless to say, it was a small pile of wood,(sticks and twigs) and barely got me through the night.

Sarge47
11-06-2007, 11:14 PM
I've got a small, Buck Backpacking hand axe as well as a "Boy Scout size Axe. Add one large and one small Bow Saw to the mix and I'm ready for as much firewood as I can handle. If I was going to build a cabin I'd want a chain saw, but lacking that a full-size double-bit axe w/ maul & wedges. Can't be to prepared. I also have a Gerber folding saw that has two blades as well as the smaller ones on my Victorinox Swiss-Army knives.

dilligaf2u2
11-07-2007, 02:55 AM
I have a Mini Axe. Pre 1900, 8oz, little thing. It is too light for throwing. It is for cutting. I also carry a folding saw in my pack and TDW(The Dear Wife) has one too. TDW has a Vaughn sounding 8oz hatchet on her BOB and a Estwing Sportsman's hatchet in her pack.

An axe is a great tool and I never thought that throwing one was an option. What if you miss? You just gave someone, with an attitude, a weapon! IMO not a good thing!

I also think knowing the proper way to use one is important. Like any tool it has its uses. It takes skill to use one right. Smacking a tree freely, without thought is dangerous. Like a tool we need to learn how to use it, keep it in good working order and respect it.

Don

marberry
11-08-2007, 11:14 PM
its just my personal preference but i carry a kukuri magnum (18") and think it works way beter then any hatchets i have used (albeit i never bought expensive ones) though it isnt as good for chopping wood i have a great need for its brush clearing skills so depending on where your going (you wont need to clear brush in a camp)try either out for a bit and find which you prefer

Sarge47
11-09-2007, 12:20 AM
its just my personal preference but i carry a kukuri magnum (18") and think it works way beter then any hatchets i have used (albeit i never bought expensive ones) though it isnt as good for chopping wood i have a great need for its brush clearing skills so depending on where your going (you wont need to clear brush in a camp)try either out for a bit and find which you prefer

I've been checking out the Cold Steel stuff and they sell 3 Kukri Machetes. !st one for about $20, 2nd one for about $125, and the third one for about $500. which one do you have?

marberry
11-09-2007, 12:32 AM
i have the longest one , i dont think they have it on there sight i got it from SIR for $50 at 75% off , its epoxy coated with a 20'' blade

Beo
11-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Good ole hawk is best to me :D
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/8825/myhawkey5.th.jpg (http://img161.imageshack.us/my.php?image=myhawkey5.jpg)
$175.00 but thats just my choice.

marberry
11-09-2007, 12:47 AM
thats a throwing axe isnt it ?

Beo
11-09-2007, 01:07 AM
Yup, also got a camp hatchet but no pick as of yet :( this does the trick every time I use it for other uses though.

HOP
11-09-2007, 06:29 AM
Beo thatis a nice looking hawk I have a large book on knife and hawk fighting that is real informative. I take some of the cold steel hawks and modify them to suit my taste for actual utility use iI prefer a hammer poll over a spike but a spike is got cool written all over it.

MedicineWolf
11-09-2007, 09:51 AM
Don't let Beowulf fool you guys, he's great with a knife and can make them as well but it takes him like 2 weeks for one knife cause he'a a perfectionist. I still got a skinner he gave me back in 89, looks good and holds a fine edge but as with all his stuff he tends to go traditional or from the 1700s which I'm sure he's ranted on.

ISHKO
11-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Nice hawk,Beowulf,although I question the utility of the backspike.I prefer a carpenters hatchet for survival/camp chores.That would be a fine weapon to have at hand once the bullets ran out.

flandersander
11-11-2007, 12:57 PM
I've been checking out the Cold Steel stuff and they sell 3 Kukri Machetes. !st one for about $20, 2nd one for about $125, and the third one for about $500. which one do you have?

I Have a Kukri machete also. Mine is a KA-BAR 17" long machete with a 12" blade. I love it for cutting down small trees. Me and my dad had a race who could cut through a tree faster. He had a hatchet and i had the machete. I won! I won because i keep it sooo sharp, you could drop a greasy hair and it would split iut right up the middle.

Nativedude
11-12-2007, 02:03 AM
This is the knife I carry. And these are the hatchets and axe I used to build my cabin and furniture. ;)

marberry
11-12-2007, 10:16 AM
wow nativedude thats impressive , how big was the cabin?

Nativedude
11-16-2007, 03:07 AM
Thanks Marcraft! ;)

It is 16'x20' with 7 1/2' side walls and 9' ridge beam. I fell the trees in the early summer of '04 and built it in the late spring of '05. I just finished the final touches on the dunne and food cache this past summer. I have lived there full time for the last year and a half.

wow nativedude thats impressive , how big was the cabin?

Beo
11-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Quite impressive, good to know someone round here other than WrEagle69 is living off the land :D Will be me in a few years.

STB
11-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Possible to get some pictures? Id love to see that cabin sounds nice and warm.

Nativedude
11-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Possible to get some pictures? Id love to see that cabin sounds nice and warm.

I will try to dig up some pics. It is the first place that has ever felt like and I have ever truly called "home" in my 43 years.

dilligaf2u2
11-19-2007, 05:11 PM
I carry one and was wondering who else carries them. What kinds and how often you use them? I use mine every time I go out. The Sven Saw folds flat and weighs next to nothing. 1&1/2 inch wide and 22 inches long. It has made getting fire wood ready fairly quickly.

Don

HOP
11-19-2007, 05:27 PM
I have a folding saw similar to the sven saw and also one that fits in a tube andsets up like a buck saw they both work very well.

MCBushbaby
11-19-2007, 05:49 PM
I used to carry one but then I started making my fire with long logs and letting the fire cut them for me. But a folding saw is definitely useful, don't get me wrong.

survivalhike
11-20-2007, 12:01 PM
I love my folding saw. I didn't even buy the best one out there either. Mine is a Coghlans sierra saw, and it really tears through logs. I like it because cutting a log is safer than trying to break one by hand, and there is something nice about having fresh cut firewood for your fire. It's really light too.

swampyankee
11-20-2007, 01:17 PM
I carry the Sawvivor (available from Campmor.com). It's pretty rugged and collapses into a small package. There's also a bone saw blade available for it if you needed it for quartering game.

trax
11-20-2007, 01:30 PM
I used to carry one but then I started making my fire with long logs and letting the fire cut them for me. But a folding saw is definitely useful, don't get me wrong.

Yep, what he said.

Beo
11-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Carry a hatchet so no need for a folding saw. Then again I find wood the size I need to I don't to cut as much.

HOP
11-20-2007, 04:35 PM
A saw can be so much more in the woods . It can keep pointy stick ups down and cutting slots for frames and things you want to have a good fit a lot of uses for a saw even if it is on your swiss army knife.

survivalhike
11-20-2007, 06:04 PM
I don't mind letting the fire cut the logs but it seems like I need to watch it more when the wood is hanging out of the fire ring. I know it can't travel that fast but it makes me feel better knowing that every piece of wood is inside the rocks and less likely to travel.

Rick
11-24-2007, 10:11 AM
I prefer to carry a modified Ghurka over a hatchet. It's pretty light, inexpensive, tough and works pretty well for chopping. Saves my straight blade, too. Of course, I'm not building a cabin out there, either. But for a debris shelters and such it works just fine. I posted some pictures and a write up on:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1034&page=2

Post #30 if you're interested.

FVR
11-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Okay, three pages in I'll tell ya, I carry one full size custom hawk the Danny made me. It is a copy of my H&B that was given to me by an old friend who won it in Friendship. Donny's hawk is made of steel horseshoes, razor sharp and I decor. the handle. Good for chopping, throwing, and fighting.

The second is a little bag ax, it has a little pole on the back of it, and it is also razor sharp.

FVR
11-28-2007, 11:32 PM
Here is a pic of my large hawk and my bag ax.

http://http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/MVC-002S-2.jpg

And, you can shave with either one of them.

Nativedude
11-30-2007, 11:13 PM
I see posts all the time where people state that their knives and axes are "shaving sharp", why would anyone try to shave with a knife or axe? One slip and you're the headless horseman!! :D

I have a straight razor that I use (when I used to shave.) Now that I keep "razor sharp", but my knives, axes, & hatchets are sharp enough to shave bark off of a tree, but if I slip shaving a tree I don't have to worry about bleeding to death or being the headless horseman!! :eek:

FVR
11-30-2007, 11:41 PM
It's an expression. You've been out of the woods too long.

Jay
12-10-2007, 12:52 PM
I have two small hand axes. Whether I carry one or not depends on where I'm going and for how long I plan to stay out. I carry it on my belt.

FVR
12-15-2007, 10:58 AM
One of my favorite throwers.

It's really a nice backpack ax/hawk. It's flat, sharp, has a hammer back, up-sweep tip and very good weight. Good for throwing, chopping, pounding, and fighting.

http://http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/MVC-033S.jpg

Unfortunately, it's not mine. LOL. Good friend lent it to me, I did track down the maker and he will be making me one soon. He sells them for a whole 50 bucks, not a bad deal.

I'm going to have him make it with the back part of the handle that is steel, made to be able to use as a striker with flint.

Nativedude
12-15-2007, 06:12 PM
One of my favorite throwers.

It's really a nice backpack ax/hawk. It's flat, sharp, has a hammer back, up-sweep tip and very good weight. Good for throwing, chopping, pounding, and fighting.

http://http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/MVC-033S.jpg

Unfortunately, it's not mine. LOL. Good friend lent it to me, I did track down the maker and he will be making me one soon. He sells them for a whole 50 bucks, not a bad deal.

I'm going to have him make it with the back part of the handle that is steel, made to be able to use as a striker with flint.

Nice lookin' tool FVR!! :D ;)

bladefrenzy
12-17-2007, 03:21 PM
I do have an axe, a trail hawk and a couple of hatchets as well. But for most stuff I find a nice saw works faster and easier for what I need. For long term survival and axe would probably be a necessity . But for short term a stout large knife, modified machete, and saw are plenty for me.

BTW get familiar with using an axe before you "have" to use it. One bad swing is all it takes for a serious injury. Kinda like using a chainsaw for the first time. A lot of people don't take the time it takes to master an axe, I am only decent with one. I know others who are pros and can do anything quickly and smoothly with one. Including wood carvings and such.

Nice pair ya there FVR.

richard
12-30-2007, 11:11 AM
hey guys, new to the forum and was just wondering if anyone has tried out the atax tool. i'm sorta excited to buy and try it out but also weighing up cost and shipping to ireland.

mbarnatl
12-30-2007, 11:33 AM
I never used it or even heard of it. I did a search and checked it out. Here (http://www.survival.com/atax.htm) is the site I found on it. The blade kind of is exposed for most of the uses of it... that really bothers me. If you look at the first pic on the page you notice the three bloody knuckles... all in a nice stright line with the blade. You would have to add a protection to the blade if not using it for some things. The other thing that bothered me was the $200 price tag.

richard
12-30-2007, 11:45 AM
thanks for feed back. yea saw those knuckles, great advertisment !

Rick
12-30-2007, 11:53 AM
This looks like a modification to the ULU knife. I own one but don't use it much. As mbarnatl said, the blade is exposed and I am more comfortable with a "standard" knife. The up side to the $200 price tag is it comes with a DVD.:rolleyes:

http://www.arcticphoto.co.uk/supergal/ung/ung00/ung0014-33.htm

Sarge47
12-30-2007, 12:21 PM
Welcome! Now get over to the "introductions" thread and tell us more about you. Give us an idea as to your age, what you do, whereabouts you live, etc.:cool:

canid
12-30-2007, 12:47 PM
why it's a swiss army ulu!

richard
12-30-2007, 01:01 PM
born dublin ireland '72.left at 17 and backpacked around b.c.canada,eventualy got caught and opted to go yo the u.s. spent the best part of 10 years checking out washington, arizona and the nice bits of ca.built a house south of seattle, got married, lived abit of the americian dream then left everything to bum around northern india for half a year.now back in ireland wondering what i'll be when i grow up:)

richard
12-30-2007, 01:07 PM
i like to survive, so i work on my kit.hennessey hammock,sog seal elite,ontario short & heavy machette, still and fire kit are my basics.

canid
12-30-2007, 01:53 PM
rock on with the camping hammock. i just use a parachutte nylon amazonas but it's nice being able to sleep off of the ground [not having to find level ground, not having to avoid watershed, etc] in areas with sufficient purchase to hang it. and all for a mere 6oz.

richard
12-30-2007, 02:20 PM
the hammock i got is cool,pretty watertight .was used to using gortex sleeping system (u.s.army type)but humping it around was tiresome ,especially as my kit got more larger and fine tuned.

Rick
12-30-2007, 02:28 PM
canid - Do you use the mosquito traveler? If not, how do you combat the mosquitoes and black flys in the summer?

richard - I've looked at those hammocks a hundred times over. One of these days I'm going to just get one. I use a tarp and build a diamond tent but that hammock sure looks comfortable.

canid
12-30-2007, 03:38 PM
they're not much a problem down here in cali. in Wa/Id smoke does it fine for the squitters but i have a couple yards of netting around somewhere. i haven't needed to bring it out since i bought it.

in Ak, nothing keeps them at bay, looking back, it almost seems i forget to remember them, so to speek.

RobertRogers
12-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Ouch! Those freshly skinned knuckles are great advertisements!

richard
12-30-2007, 04:17 PM
a couple of months back i dragged a buddy to a local national pk. for a break from the kids, after setting up camp ,fire and grub i climbed in the hammock .its got a no see-um net, starrs were out and about 30 deer came out to check us out.took out my red lense kit and lay silently awe struck as 30 pair of deer eyes reflected back ,spooky but crazy. they hung out for about half hour ,the young were curious but then they scattered as my buddy started snoring:mad:
that one night with the stars and the deer was well worth the $ i spent.

flandersander
12-30-2007, 04:20 PM
its a cool gadget but in survival you need something that will get er dun not some toy that will break and wreck on you right away!

richard
12-30-2007, 04:26 PM
yea kinda given up on the atax job,it is gimicky

Rick
12-30-2007, 04:27 PM
I looked at the list of things you could do with it and a lot of the stuff I can do without carrying anything. A couple of sticks in the ground will tell me the time and direction for example. The rest I can do with equipment I have on me already and I don't have to spend the $200. Of course, there is that DVD. :rolleyes:

Cool gadgets are okay if they buy you something. Lord knows I've bought my fair share that sit in the back of the closet and collect dust. If that's what you want and your heart it set on it, then go for it. Just let us know how good it is and whether you inherent knuckles like in the picture. (I'm with RR. Wouldn't you think they'd have taken a picture with some squeeky clean hands or maybe some ladies hands to show how easy it is to use? But bloody knuckles, crikey!).

Ooops. We posted at the same time.

Sarge47
12-30-2007, 05:25 PM
$200?:eek: Now I know how he was able to buy the Humvee! He probably skis in the alps with Ranger Rick!:rolleyes: Oh well, it's still cheaper than Bear Grylls' knife!;)

mbarnatl
12-30-2007, 05:32 PM
LOL @ Sarge

Rick
12-30-2007, 06:38 PM
And Bears doesn't come with a DVD!:mad:

Ole WV Coot
12-30-2007, 11:47 PM
$200 ??? That's about the dumbest thing I have seen since the Capt. Midnight decoder ring. If anyone I know whipped one of those things out he would be laughed out of the state. If that actually sells he can buy a lodge in the Alps, or maybe he will just use the darn thing to build one.

Proud American
12-31-2007, 12:01 AM
Why whats Bear's Knife and what does it cost:eek:. Is it like that one blog were that one guy had that titanium 1k knife!:D

Sarge47
12-31-2007, 12:48 AM
Why whats Bear's Knife and what does it cost:eek:. Is it like that one blog were that one guy had that titanium 1k knife!:D

A bit over $700 American!!! Want one?:rolleyes:

Sarge47
12-31-2007, 01:30 AM
Here it is, you can click on "convert" to get the American Dollars.:rolleyes:

http://www.bayleyknife.com/bear.htm

Rick
12-31-2007, 03:30 AM
Am I really a terrible person for wanting to see what would happen if that crusty lava stuff he's standing on would give way? (Can you say computer generated? I knew you could).

canid
12-31-2007, 03:37 AM
you'd be a bad person if you didn't...

[disclaimer: in all seriousness, i wish no harm on any person, even if they are bear grylles]

FVR
12-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Yeh, I'm going to pay 200 bucks for a weird kind of knife that is going to lose all those fancy blade markings. Oh, oh, better yet, pay 700 bucks for a knife that is promoted by some faker.

LOL!

Sarge47
12-31-2007, 11:33 AM
Yeh, I'm going to pay 200 bucks for a weird kind of knife that is going to lose all those fancy blade markings. Oh, oh, better yet, pay 700 bucks for a knife that is promoted by some faker.

LOL!

I gotta watch I'll sell you; It's a gen-you-wine Rolex...or was that Rol-a dex?:rolleyes:

Proud American
12-31-2007, 11:44 AM
That knife dosent even look special:eek: It dosent even say its titanium or somthin cool like that its just a regular knife that comes with a print of Bear's signature for 700:p I think that the titanium knife was better at least it sounded like it was special:D

canid
12-31-2007, 11:49 AM
no no: bear grylles personaly chopped down a coast redwood with each one, and hand carved it into a ballista to hunt elk.

FVR
12-31-2007, 12:06 PM
When the show first came out, wasn't he using a Gerber? I remember my wife saying that his folder looked just like mine.

He saw me stripping muscadines in the mountains with my knife and copied me. Not only is he a faker, he's a copy cat.

LarryB
01-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Yup, I havta agree with Survivalhike on the Sierra Saw as a real cool little woodsman's tool. Handy dandy, light, small and very efficient. Oh, and cheap (under $10) to boot.:cool:

pgvoutdoors
01-01-2008, 06:05 PM
I carry the Sawvivor (available from Campmor.com). It's pretty rugged and collapses into a small package. There's also a bone saw blade available for it if you needed it for quartering game.

http://www.trailblazerproducts.com/products/list/showcase/?id=24

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=49364&memberId=12500226

This has been my go-to saw for years. Very light and durable!!!!

Rick
01-01-2008, 06:36 PM
I just ordered a couple of Gerber sports saws. We'll see how they do.

pgvoutdoors
01-01-2008, 06:58 PM
I just ordered a couple of Gerber sports saws. We'll see how they do.

I have the Browning version of that saw. Very nice, wickedly sharp!!! They both have the same style blades, a sorta offset barracuda tooth with very sharp points plus a bone blade. Nice for light duty work.

Let us know how you like it.

Rick
01-01-2008, 07:03 PM
I haven't owned one before so I'm curious to see how it holds up. I ordered them last week so should arrive this week. The blade slides back in the handle, which I like and it's pretty light overall. About 3.4 oz. from what I've read.

pgvoutdoors
01-01-2008, 07:08 PM
I haven't owned one before so I'm curious to see how it holds up. I ordered them last week so should arrive this week. The blade slides back in the handle, which I like and it's pretty light overall. About 3.4 oz. from what I've read.

The Browning version I have is a folding lock-blade. Good for small limbs, 1-2 inches in diameter. Many of the hunters I know like it.

Rick
01-02-2008, 02:02 AM
I think everyone agrees the little survival saws with the pressed on finger pulls are pretty cheesy. Yes, I have them in my kit just like you. Does anyone own/use Chain Saw in a Can? It looks pretty hefty although the two "handles" look like they could be easily lost since you have to attach them. Thoughts?

Beo
01-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Actually I don't have a chain type saw, I use my hatchet/hawk for everything when in camp and take it everytime I go out. Yes I got a new hawk handle but my son seems to have taken it over, got a new hawk now.

MCBushbaby
01-02-2008, 03:47 PM
I was tempted to throw a chain saw-blade wire saw into my pack but a friend talked me out of it for various reasons.

Just to clarify the various wire saw uses for people thinking about getting one:
* The fine-toothed default "survival wire saw" will cut hardwoods fairly easy but because of the tiny teeth it'll take you a long time. Don't even bother with resinous woods like pine.
* The larger toothed wire saws are multipurpose. simple
* The chain saw-toothed wire saws are the best for resinous woods but the multipurpose middle-toothed wire saw actually beats in on hardwoods.

carcajou garou
01-03-2008, 01:34 AM
One of the flaws with the chain saw blade style, as advertised is that if you wrap it around a standing tree and pull stroke the saw towards yourself, your hand are attached in the loops of some models. When you come close to the end, the tree can close on the hinge and jam the saw. Worse is that if it goes through, the tree can end up butt stroking you in the kisser as it kicks back and being tied to it, you got nowheres to go.
Most peoples would just do the one cut across, rather than also putting in a felling notch.

carcajou garou
01-03-2008, 01:47 AM
In my hunt pack I carry the Gerber folding saw with extra blades in the case. In the canoe I carry a 21" swede saw with extra bolts and blades in a tool roll along with an ax, small shovel, pik/matock and a decrating tool.

Rick
01-03-2008, 03:01 PM
That's a really great safety observation Carcajou and it does happen. Several years ago a friend I and were removing a tree and he wrapped his safety around the tree about 30 feet up. Unfortunately, he forgot to back cut the top and when the tree went over the bark ran down the back side of the tree taking the safety with it. A real rookie mistake and he knew better but just forgot. It sucked him up tight against the tree until the bark broke. I was working on the ground and turned around just in time to see the action. I thought for sure it killed him but he turned out okay. Damned Lucky.

RobertRogers
01-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Never been too impressed with them. I usually can just break or baton wood instead.

Rick
01-03-2008, 08:36 PM
I had thought about tossing one in the truck and using it if I needed to remove a downed limb or two to get past.

Gray Wolf
01-03-2008, 09:02 PM
The ATAX was designed by Ron Hood, and made by Tops Knives from 1095 steel.

Gray Wolf
01-03-2008, 09:20 PM
I bought and have used many times around the house or campsite, Ultimate Survival Technologies SaberCut Saw. It works great for taking down large or small tree limbs. It's the best one I've used, but, it's heavy to trek around the wilderness with. It's made well.

http://www.ultimatesurvival.com/product_view.cfm?product_line_ID=160

Rick
01-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Well, now don't I feel stupid? That's one of my suppliers. Thanks for the link. That's what I'll go with.:(

Gray Wolf
01-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Rick, I would rather use that than my gas powered one. No smell, No noise, No $ for gas, and it doesn't take much longer to do the job!!! I don't think any of the Co's that make these hand saws, expect you to be cutting down large trees.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
01-03-2008, 09:36 PM
tried them few times but the ones I had were the very cheap flimsy type and broke in short order, do most my stuff with hatchet and knife

Gray Wolf
01-03-2008, 09:45 PM
tried them few times but the ones I had were the very cheap flimsy type and broke in short order, do most my stuff with hatchet and knife

Check out the link. This saw is far from flimsy, the web loop handles are bar tacked securely to custom designed steel clips that help prevent the chain from twisting while you cut. The saw blade has bi-directional, self-cleaning cutting teeth.

Rick
01-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Everything that company sells is top quality in my book. That's why I carry them. I'm with you as well on the chain saw. I just wanted something fast and easy to get where I'm going if a limb was in the way. We have a nasty little phenomenon around here called a tornado and trying to make it through the streets after one can be pretty hairy. Once you make it home (if it's still there) you can grab the chain saw but you need something to get you there first if you were gone when it hit. It would also make a nice background saw to get down a fire trail.

Gray Wolf
01-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Everything that company sells is top quality in my book.

I completely agree. Their Wetfire tab's has saved my butt twice!!!

Their SaberCut Saw came with a nylon carry case for your belt.

bladefrenzy
01-04-2008, 09:22 PM
I have a "Pocket Chainsaw" (I think that's the brand) seems to be stout enough, I've used it a few times. Can be sharpened with a chain saw file, or small diamond rod.

canid
01-08-2008, 03:58 AM
depending on conditions, i have a cheapy machete, a cross-cut bow saw, a small tooth keyhole type cross-cut saw with a 10 inch blade and an estwing hatchet.

i'd like to have a full sized axe again but don't have one atm.

RBB
01-08-2008, 08:41 AM
I have tried to find some info on this forum on the use of axes or hatchets and who if any use them on any regular basis.
I have carried a canoe ax for years when hunting or on the line or when trekking and find it extremely usefull but I wonder how many today still use axes or have the saws (folding or swede) taken president?

The hand axe I carry most often is a small hammer-poll axe made by Joe de la Ronde. I've found this to be an excellent camping axe, useful for pounding in tent pegs as well as spitting firewood.

My newest folding saw is:

http://www.duluthpack.com/product_de...=Folding%20Saw

Rick
01-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Dead link, RBB

cyc79
01-14-2008, 03:32 PM
I always carry an axe.Other than being able to make fire it's the most important tool to have in the bush,especially in winter.

dscrick
01-21-2008, 07:07 PM
I got this handy little Gerber for Christmas, the small saw stows in the axe handle and is kept there by a rare earth magnet. You've probably seen the smaller one that has a small fixed blade knife in the handle, but this one with the saw is pretty new. The little saw is double ground and pretty darn effective. Total weight is about 24 ozs. with sheath. Not going to build a cabin with it but it works pretty well.

BatCat
02-08-2008, 07:38 AM
I have a Hunters Axe, a Small Forest Axe and a Scandinavian Forest Axe, all made by Gransfors. All of them are literally shaving sharp and well made

BatCat

Lost Lebowski
02-28-2008, 03:59 PM
I had a marbles safety axe for boy scouts. I broke the thing my first time using it. It was a toy in my opinion cost 80 bucks too! I have a working tomahawk that's light and has a hammer pall on the back for driving stakes etc from fortturner.com. Handle is bomber hickory. Ive beat the heck out of it and it's still going the steel leafs are begining to delaminate from using it like a wedge to split logs cuz it's smithed by hand but it was only like 35. My favorite axes are the snow and neally hudson bay camp axe it's like 50 bucks with a lifetime warantee and a 1.75 lb head perfect for camping and hunting but not so tiny you can easily spilit fire wood. I like the folding Silky brand saws best they are like the cadillac of folding saws all these products can be found on line.

awfoxden
03-17-2008, 01:26 PM
I got this handy little Gerber for Christmas, the small saw stows in the axe handle and is kept there by a rare earth magnet. You've probably seen the smaller one that has a small fixed blade knife in the handle, but this one with the saw is pretty new. The little saw is double ground and pretty darn effective. Total weight is about 24 ozs. with sheath. Not going to build a cabin with it but it works pretty well.

i have one of the gerber pax that has the small knife in the end. its a great size for packing but the handle is tiney. the knife is also very soft metal - it doesn't take much cutting to dull it.

i just got a wetterlings 13" hatchet in the mail today. i'm anxious to try it out. apears to be a good quality hatchet and for less than $30.00 including shipping. comparable from all of the reviews i read while deciding what to buy to the gransfors burk hatchet less $100.00's.

with working with the boy scouts - they don't want the boys carying fixed bladed knifes (not that i agree). so i leave my cold steel srk at home and carry a leatherman wave, swiss army sprotsmans knife and a small hatchet as part of my survival kit when i'm with them. i also always have my kershaw scallion in my pocket regardless where i'm at.

awfoxden
03-17-2008, 01:30 PM
i forgot -

as for a saw - i pack a take down "trail blazer" bow saw. you can use a wood saw blade or a fine tooth saw blade for cutting bone type material. it folds into its handle and weighs somthing like 16-24 oz.

great little packing saw - and sturdy

DOGMAN
04-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Well, I've gone through different phases and opinions when it comes to axes and hatchets...

When I was a scout, no tree was safe from me and my dull little Wal-Mart camping hatchet. I never went anywhere without one in my backpack. I tried to chop everything. I was lucky that I never chopped off a finger, or ended up with a hatchet buried into my shin or knee.

When I worked for Outward Bound they got me away from my chopper mentality, and I started going light weight on everything and just used a stout knife and small saw to get anything done I needed. They really made me realize how bad of an idea a hatchet or axe can be when they are in the wrong hands in the wilderness. Often times they can be more of a liability than asset- quickly turning a camping trip into a Wilderness emergency situation with one wrong swing. So, I decided to move away from them.

Until, I started working for this Old-Timey Hunting outfitter doing wilderness pack trip/big game hunts. This guy always carried a super sharp axe, and a smaller long handled hatchet on his saddle. He tought me how to swiftley field dress an elk or moose using the axe and hatchet, and how to skin them with the hatchet. It is way easier and faster than using a knife and saw. He also showed me lots of other basic campcraft things that made life and camp chores much easier and turned my opinion back to that if you have the right ones and know how to safely use them, axes and hatchets can be a huge asset.

Now, my mentality is if I am carrying everything on my back...I travel light and just get by with a knife and small saw. But, if I am traveling by dog-team, horseback/ pack string, or canoe/raft I always pack along a Gransfors Bruks Scandinavian Forest Axe, and if I am going to be harvesting large game, I also take a GB Hunters Axe. I keep them sharp with a file, whetstones, and a leather belt.

BIG TONE
05-30-2008, 10:21 AM
i have a gerber folding saw and a small fiskars hatchet that looks identical to the gerber pack ax but it was 1/2 the price.just got the hatchet havent used it yet but i love the gerber saw.i broke 1 this winter cutting a branch but the temp. was

crashdive123
05-30-2008, 12:52 PM
i have a gerber folding saw and a small fiskars hatchet that looks identical to the gerber pack ax but it was 1/2 the price.just got the hatchet havent used it yet but i love the gerber saw.i broke 1 this winter cutting a branch but the temp. was

Was? Was? Was what? come on......you can't leave us hanging. (see - we really do pay attention sometimes):D

BIG TONE
05-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Was? Was? Was what? come on......you can't leave us hanging. (see - we really do pay attention sometimes):D

IT WAS 0 DEGREES OUT MY HYDRATION HOSE ABOUT 5 MINUTES INTO THE HIKE.

BIG TONE
05-30-2008, 01:54 PM
And Scheels Replaced It For Free

tipacanoe
05-30-2008, 02:41 PM
I know that you need to be careful when ever you use anything sharp, but I find that the gerber saw, as great as they are, will get you hurt quicker than anything else I have used. I was icefishing and needing some wood to build a tarp shelter on the ice, was cutting some wood, using my gerber saw, my stance was not the best on the ice as I was stretching at an angle against the shore line, slipped of course and cut my middle finger, thought it was never going to stop bleeding. It was the start of a bad day. I prefer a small axe, as I won't work at a bad angle with that.

crashdive123
05-30-2008, 03:11 PM
<note to self - adopt same safety measures that I use with my ax whenever I use my saw>

dragonjimm
05-30-2008, 03:33 PM
I have a Snow & Nealley co. Penobscot Bay Kindling Axe that is great. I am also considering a Wetterlings 13" hatchet. But I also find myself carrying my Ontario 18 inch machete a lot more. Besides being lighter I rarely cut any thing thicker then say 2 inches across and have cut bigger stuff with the machete including hardwoods like oak. How ever i live in the Southern part of the U.S. where we have a more brambles and briar's. I keep it just short of shaving sharp.
my only complaint is that the handle was made for longevity instead of comfort
On the Scout trips I carry a Wal Mart limb saw.

snakeman
07-01-2008, 01:54 PM
I had one of those gerber hatchets with the mini saw but the saw falls out after a good while of chopping and the handle eventually broke (tree fell on it). I traded it for another one without the saw in it and I love it. I carry that and a bow saw in the woods a lot.

tonester
07-02-2008, 07:15 AM
I had one of those gerber hatchets with the mini saw but the saw falls out after a good while of chopping and the handle eventually broke (tree fell on it). I traded it for another one without the saw in it and I love it. I carry that and a bow saw in the woods a lot.

i was researching into getting one of those gerber hatchets, but i think im gonna get the 15" wetterling hunting axe...read a lot of good reviews about them.

Deer Sniper
07-24-2008, 01:38 AM
For me:

hiking - aluminum folding bow saw

Conoe trips - above,
and marbles two sided cut on pull saw
( modern Japanese saw )
craftsman limbing axe

hunting - sometimes a small tomahawk

RobertRogers
07-24-2008, 09:00 AM
A good axe is one of man's best friends, a trusted companion through thick and thin.

In the bush I carry a hawk, as much for offensive purposes when on the defensive as for cutting wood, digging roots, etc.

Rick
07-24-2008, 10:04 AM
RR - What kind of hawk do you carry?

skunkkiller
07-24-2008, 12:29 PM
I carry a hawk and a fixed blade knife with thik blade . not building cabin on trek just small shelter so do need big axe all wood for fire can be broke on tree trunk.

Capt.Canuck
07-26-2008, 05:03 PM
I use an Estwing camper's axe (26"), an Ontario Survival Machete, and a Gerber folding saw. I'm very satisfied with all of them.

I also have a Cold Steel Latin Machete that is collecting dust. Not all that useful for the heavy brush of Canada, compared to the tools listed above.

crashdive123
07-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Sounds like a good selection there CC.

Deer Sniper
07-28-2008, 02:27 PM
I use an Estwing camper's axe (26"), an Ontario Survival Machete, and a Gerber folding saw. I'm very satisfied with all of them.

I also have a Cold Steel Latin Machete that is collecting dust. Not all that useful for the heavy brush of Canada, compared to the tools listed above.

I got ta say, East Wing makes good stuff. You'd have a hard time breaking it!

With that marbles draw saw of mine you could build a cabin! I was turned on to that stile of saw by a guy who builds fitted wood beam and pin construction buildings. The thing is, it ways practically nothing. Ill put some pics on later.

warman87
08-19-2008, 07:06 PM
does this look like it would do a good job on hard wood? http://davesgarden.com/products/market/view/1569/

crashdive123
08-19-2008, 07:13 PM
I've never used one with the "smooth tooth technology" that it describes so I can't say how it performs. My folding saws work well - picked em up at Home Depot for about $10 each.

Capt.Canuck
08-19-2008, 07:23 PM
does this look like it would do a good job on hard wood? http://davesgarden.com/products/market/view/1569/

That one looks like the Gerber I have. I'm not a saw expert by any stretch, but I believe the suitability of the blade for a given would have to do with the design and dimensions of the saw blade teeth.

Rick
08-19-2008, 07:40 PM
That site may be down. I can't seem to access it. Warman, I use the Gerber Sportsman saw and it does a great job. It's lightweight and built pretty solid for a little guy.

http://www.summitcampinggear.com/46048.html

Capt.Canuck
08-19-2008, 08:12 PM
That site may be down. I can't seem to access it. Warman, I use the Gerber Sportsman saw and it does a great job. It's lightweight and built pretty solid for a little guy.

http://www.summitcampinggear.com/46048.html

That's not the same model I have, but the blade appears to be pretty much the same.

Very good deal on your model here:

http://www.knivesplus.com/GB-46048-Gerber.HTML

Capt.Canuck
08-19-2008, 08:13 PM

On further investigation, make sure you get one that includes the coarse cut wood blade, as some are sold with the finer bone blade only.

crashdive123
08-19-2008, 08:31 PM
This is the one that I carry. Didn't buy it here though. It's a bit heavier than some of the others (9 ounces). http://www.amazon.com/Corona-Clipper-7-Inch-Folding-Razor/dp/B0007LXTPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1219192215&sr=8-1

sobeit
08-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Does aney one know any thing about the Firestone Ax looks ok but looks can be deceving.

crashdive123
08-19-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm not familiar with them. I noticed when looking them up, at least the ones I was looking at, that the head was made of 440 stainless. I don't care for stainless in my axes. That's just me.

sobeit
08-19-2008, 09:45 PM
I'm not familiar with them. I noticed when looking them up, at least the ones I was looking at, that the head was made of 440 stainless. I don't care for stainless in my axes. That's just me.

Aney reason way just worndering

crashdive123
08-19-2008, 09:48 PM
While stainless holds an edge better than carbon steel, it will need sharpening. It is easier (for me at least) to put an edge on a carbon steel axe or blade than a stainless one. The carbon steel is also very good at making a spark with a piece of flint.

sobeit
08-19-2008, 09:50 PM
that makes sense

crashdive123
08-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Some people may prefer stainless if they are using them in very wet environments.

sobeit
08-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Would stainless be less likle to chip or nick.

crashdive123
08-19-2008, 10:01 PM
There are probably some other members with more knowledge of hardness and how brittle edges are. I don't have the technical knowledge to help you with that one.

sobeit
08-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Still you gave me some good infor to thank about.

crashdive123
08-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Glad to help. I'm sure others will weigh in, some may agree, some may disagree - it can all be helpful information when you're making a decision.

Gray Wolf
08-20-2008, 12:19 AM
While stainless holds an edge better than carbon steel, it will need sharpening. It is easier (for me at least) to put an edge on a carbon steel axe or blade than a stainless one. The carbon steel is also very good at making a spark with a piece of flint.

I agree with crash, I find it much easier to put an edge on a carbon steel axe or blade in the field, then with a stainless one. But to me the best reason is a carbon steel tool is a multi tool, because it is not only good for what it was made for, but also good at making a spark with a piece of natural flint stone or a flint rod.

Mulga
09-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Here is my current inventory for bush duty, I have heaps of other hunting, skinning and trade knives but below are my my mainstay:

Martindale Golok #2
Martindale Bolo type 358

Ontario RAT7
RAT RC6 (when it eventually gets here)

Grohmann #1 Origional
Grohmann #4 Survival knife

Scharade 6OT lockback folder (USA made)
Victorinox Swiss army knife
Talyors Eye Witness pk

Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe
Gransfors Bruks American Felling Axe 35"

crashdive123
09-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Here is my current inventory for bush duty, I have heaps of other hunting, skinning and trade knives but below are my my mainstay:

Martindale Golok #2
Martindale Bolo type 358

Ontario RAT7
RAT RC6 (when it eventually gets here)

Grohmann #1 Origional
Grohmann #4 Survival knife

Scharade 6OT lockback folder (USA made)
Victorinox Swiss army knife
Talyors Eye Witness pk

Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe
Gransfors Bruks American Felling Axe 35"

Nice collection. If it works for you, it works for me.

RBB
10-28-2008, 12:53 AM
Dead link, RBB

Folding saw (click on alternate view to see what it folds down to):

http://duluthpack.com/product_detail.aspx?product=Folding%20Saw

My home made folding saw:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/pjjgirard/Tools%20and%20Camping%20Gear/sawphotos009.jpg

Here are some of my hawks. The second from the top is the Joe de la Ronde hammer-poll axe I use most often on the trail:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/pjjgirard/Tools%20and%20Camping%20Gear/IMG_7954.jpg

Here are some others that never go to the woods:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/pjjgirard/Tools%20and%20Camping%20Gear/IMG_9856.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/pjjgirard/Tools%20and%20Camping%20Gear/IMG_9860.jpg

chiye tanka
10-28-2008, 01:05 AM
RBB, love your hawks. Where did you get them?

crashdive123
10-28-2008, 05:57 AM
Nice collection of tools and art.

RBB
10-28-2008, 06:35 AM
RBB, love your hawks. Where did you get them?

Many places. Three are Joe de la Ronde axes. The bottom one in the first photo is an original found at the site of an 1810 fur post. I have one other original - quite a large axe head - but no photo.

I don't have photos of some of my best "collector" axes. I'm not a person who buys "collector" axes, but my sister-in-law's father was. He watched me druel over them for a few years - then sent several of them to me for Christmas one year. One cost $600.00 when he purchased it, twenty years ago. Unfortunately, the "collector" axes are too nice to take in the woods.

He also collects knives. Here are a few:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/pjjgirard/Tools%20and%20Camping%20Gear/IMG_9832.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/pjjgirard/Tools%20and%20Camping%20Gear/IMG_9835.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/pjjgirard/Tools%20and%20Camping%20Gear/IMG_9843.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/pjjgirard/Tools%20and%20Camping%20Gear/IMG_9847.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/pjjgirard/Tools%20and%20Camping%20Gear/IMG_9851.jpg

sh4d0wm4573ri7
10-28-2008, 09:08 AM
I carry a Fiskars hatchet, a folding saw and always 2-3 knives whenever hunting, camping, trekking. To sharpen 1. Go over it with a file, diamond stone, strop keeps mine razor sharp.

tonester
10-28-2008, 09:17 AM
I carry a Fiskars hatchet, a folding saw and always 2-3 knives whenever hunting, camping, trekking. To sharpen 1. Go over it with a file, diamond stone, strop keeps mine razor sharp.

how do you like your fiskars hatchet? ive been doing some studying between fiskars and wetterlings, not sure which to chose yet. my stropping bat came in today from JRE industries...man it gets my blades scary sharp!

erunkiswldrnssurvival
10-28-2008, 09:30 AM
I used to have a Joe De La Ronde,like that one. I traded it for a solengen skinner with elk horn hand grips.

chiye tanka
10-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Those are some fine knives, RBB. I met Joe Siska once at the Knifemakers Guild Show in Orlando, he's a first class maker.

pgvoutdoors
10-29-2008, 12:22 PM

I also use the Sawvivor Saw. it's the best lightweight saw I've found. Being that it's made of aircraft aluminum it's super light but very strong. It's one of my favorite pack tools.

pgvoutdoors
10-29-2008, 12:33 PM
I have used a simple hatchet for many years and it has served me well. A few years ago I picked up a Timberland Hatchet. This smaller stainless steel hatchet I carry in my lumbar pack for light duty work.
I've included a picture of a the Sawvivor Saw as well.

moses
11-11-2008, 04:40 PM
As you can tell by my avatar i use a nessmuk trinity,double bit axe with different grinds on each edge. ,made by Marbles.

I also use a vintage brades hatchet that belonged to my Grandad and always carry a Draper folding saw.

Badawg
11-13-2008, 08:53 PM
I think everyone agrees the little survival saws with the pressed on finger pulls are pretty cheesy. Yes, I have them in my kit just like you. Does anyone own/use Chain Saw in a Can? It looks pretty hefty although the two "handles" look like they could be easily lost since you have to attach them. Thoughts?

I have one of those. It was a gift. I would have never bought it, but it's actually pretty good, and sharp as hell. I took down a 10" Eucalyptus with it as a test. No problem...

For axes, I have an Estwing camp ax with a steel handle and that goes camping with the family. If I'm roughing it, it's just the Kukri.

Gray Wolf
11-13-2008, 11:59 PM
The SaberCut Saw by Ultimate Survival Technologies is well built and works great, and only around $25 with nylon belt case, or a hard shell case.

crashdive123
11-14-2008, 12:05 AM
I imagine you could make one of those using an old chainsaw blade. Hmmmm - another project for the list.

Badawg
11-14-2008, 03:26 PM
I imagine you could make one of those using an old chainsaw blade. Hmmmm - another project for the list.

It's not like an actual chain saw blade. It's only one side... so it's less than an 1/8" thick.

I do have several other very old hatchets that I used to carry, but the Estwing is such a nice little camp axe that the others never come out anymore. I also have a very old Swedish felling axe and a 6LB maul for use around the home. Got the swede for 5 bucks at a garage sale in Calaveras county. Tweeker didn't know what he had... Once I got the nicks out and the rust off, it's been good to have. I don't fell trees, but I could not resist it...

tonester
12-23-2008, 09:48 AM
i just got a wetterlings. man it is really nice. i love the sheath it comes with, very good leather. its very sharp and the wood is very smooth. cant wait to use it!

Beans
12-29-2008, 11:03 PM
For camping/ backpacking use I carry the Gerber Paxe Axe. I use it as more of survival axe then a general purpose axe.

Gray Wolf
12-30-2008, 01:15 AM
RBB, that's one Nice Collection!!!

alergyfree
01-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Sog tactical tomahawk
Gerber Gator machete
as needed

crashdive123
01-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Hey Alergyfree - how about cutting your way over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.

NCO
03-28-2009, 04:42 PM
I have very basic fiskars axe that I use almost daily for choping wood for sauna and the fireplace. I also chop wood during summer in storage for the winter. Sometimes the axe douples as a hammer for some rought projects like getting tent poles in the ground.
I also have a very old axe that was made for my grandfather by the villages smith. It is propably the best axe I know.
I keep the axes in moderate sharpness, usually whit file and wheatstone. The leather strap is overkill cause the axes get so harsh treatment. Besides not having them too sharp is better for choping wood.

tennecedar
03-31-2009, 12:35 AM
I love these Fiskars/Gerber axes. I've had the little Backpax since the first year they were available. Running a trap line or just a day hike, one of them is my constant companion.

lucznik
03-31-2009, 11:18 PM
I love these Fiskars/Gerber axes. I've had the little Backpax since the first year they were available. Running a trap line or just a day hike, one of them is my constant companion.

I have two of the same axes from your picture (the top one and the bottom one). That little backpax is my favorite. I carry it all the time in my pack.

Rick
04-01-2009, 12:00 AM
I carry an Estwing Camper's Axe and a Gerber Gator folding saw.

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_511060_imageset_01?$main-Medium$

http://media.rei.com/media/568470.jpg

MatthewnOK
04-01-2009, 12:15 AM
+1 on the Estwing. I love mine! So easy to sharpen, keeps an edge, and has good balance. Best of all someday even your kids will use yours (If you don't lose it.)

edr730
04-01-2009, 01:48 AM
Most people will start cuts too narrow when cutting though a log. Better too wide than too narrow. You have to twist the handle when the blade strikes to twist the chips out. When splitting you have to cut a knot in half rather than across it. It's usually better to split from the dry side if a cut piece of firewood has been standing upright. If the cut piece of firewood is too big you have to cut off the sides or use a wedge and sledge hammer. If your handle is smashed up it identifies you as a novice. Like chain saws, don't hit the dirt because you may hit a rock. It's usually better to use a maul when splitting anyhow. Skill outweighs the quality of the axe. I like the stout little foldable saws that are out nowdays for little things, but hand held clippers are darn good and usually handier for clearing small branches when bow hunting.

acestor
05-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Came across Gerber's new folding axe

http://gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/338#image/442

It won't be available until this July but it looks interesting. Apparently
it was named National Geographic ADVENTURE Magazine's "Best of Adventure." It weighs 1.15 lbs, has a black oxide coating. and of corse, it folds.

crashdive123
05-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Looks interesting. I wonder how the hinge pin will hold up under repeated use?

Acestor - while we're figuring that out, how about heading over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. You can find it here http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14 Thanks.

hoosierarcher
05-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Looks interesting. I wonder how the hinge pin will hold up under repeated use?

Acestor - while we're figuring that out, how about heading over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. You can find it here http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14 Thanks.

It looks like the hinge pin is 1/4" in diameter, that should handle chopping jobs of the size limits they mention. I think it would make a good emergency personal defense weapon as well. Especially if you can unfold it into working position in a dramatic way.

RobertRogers
05-12-2009, 07:12 PM
To sharpen an axe all you really need is a file. You can get them scary sharp. I know this as fact because I used an axe daily on the job as a land surveyor in the northern forest for many years.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-12-2009, 07:35 PM
I have a small Back-packing hand-axe made by Buck Knives, and a larger axe, just not a full size job, a small & large bow saw, and Gerber's folding hand saw with extra blade.:cool:i had one of those hand axes by Buck,it was pretty nice.i like the estwing 3/4 axe that you can get at home depot,nearly in-destructable its the best axe ive ever used,they stay sharp,they are shock absorbing so you can swing it all day long.(I use that axe to build log cabins great for planeing and notching the logs).

Swamprat1958
05-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Most of the time I carry a Wyoming saw ***** It is compact and is rugged enough for most jobs. It will not cut large diameter logs, but is great on stuff up to 6".

Goloth
05-13-2009, 12:54 PM
It looks like the hinge pin is 1/4" in diameter, that should handle chopping jobs of the size limits they mention. I think it would make a good emergency personal defense weapon as well. Especially if you can unfold it into working position in a dramatic way.

Planting that axe in some would-be home invaders head would be... interesting to say the least. An axe like that I simply would have for nothing BUT self defense, I don't think it would do much good other than that. - plus it'd be good for just something you can conceal in your car :P

crashdive123
05-13-2009, 04:28 PM
A concealed ax for self defense? Yeah, OK - good luck with that.

Ken
05-13-2009, 04:34 PM
A concealed ax for self defense? Yeah, OK - good luck with that.

I had a client who used that method once. My first murder case......

crashdive123
05-13-2009, 04:36 PM
How did he fare?

Ken
05-13-2009, 04:47 PM
How did he fare?

Well, he gave four, FOUR, videotaped confessions after he was arrested. The first three were suppressed from evidence. Jury saw the last one, where he joked about another defendant named, "Lizzie," from the same city, a century before. The autopsy and crime scene pictures were just like adding whipped cream on top of it all.

He died in prison in his early 30's, while serving a life sentence without possibility of parole.

crashdive123
05-13-2009, 05:17 PM
So - what you're saying is that even a reeeeeeeally good defense attorney has trouble overcoming stupid?

Ken
05-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Some cases are just "slam-dunk" depending on the team you're on........ I'm 66% on murders, though!

LowKey
05-13-2009, 09:54 PM
I just got this tiny little belt hatchet for my truck BOB using Amazon book points.
http://www.amazon.com/Schrade-241OT-Hatchet-Balastic-Sheath/dp/B000UVYV40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1242265880&sr=8-1
Gonna take it out this weekend and test it on some storm fall. The knife isn't anything too interesting and the snap does not hold it in the sheath. But the hatchet seems fair. We'll see how long it holds an edge.

Edit:
I took that little Shrade hatchet out and wailed on some 3" white oak branches clearing up the last of the ice storm fall. It held up very very well. It went through the smaller maple stuff in one or two swings. The handle is a little short for a good swing and you end up letting it slip to the last finger grip but the edge stayed sharp for a good 6 hours of solid clearing up and only needed a minimal honing. A nice little hatchet.

samfranklin
06-05-2009, 03:10 AM
I find estwing axes are brilliant

Rick
06-05-2009, 07:26 AM
Just about anything Estwing is good stuff. I've used Estwing hammers for over 30 years. I carry the Sportman's Axe in my pack.

Ken
06-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Just about anything Estwing is good stuff.

Estwing - YES. Wstwing - NO.

Mountain Man
06-27-2009, 08:43 PM
I have a gransfors bruks hatchet and LOVE IT. It's small, and lets me use it on the porch or at campsite with ease.

I also have 2 splitting axes and 2 chopping axes from Fiskars and let me tell you for the $ they are AWESOME. If you are 6' or more they may be slightly short but other than that, awesome! VERY VERY sharp. If you read some `tree cutting` forums even they love them.

Even compared to $100 axes/splitters they are awesome.
I HIGHLY suggest you get one, look on ebay and amazon best prices so far I've found.

Sarge47
06-27-2009, 09:42 PM
This thread, which has become a very popular sticky, was started two years ago by one of our member's who is no longer with us. (carcajou garou (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/member.php?u=388)) August 25th marks the 2 year anniversary of the birth of this thread, and August 5th the 2 year anniversary of his join date. I'd like to honor his memory somehow. any ideas anybody? :cool2:

crashdive123
06-27-2009, 10:09 PM
I think you just did. I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but enjoyed going back and reading some of his posts.

tonester
07-03-2009, 02:28 PM
im thinking about getting a wetterlings 19" bushcraft axe. on the product description it says that the handle is ready for a coat of linseed oil. my question is, is for protection? and should i put it on before i start using it? oh and one more...can i pick some up from a hardware store?

crashdive123
07-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Yes to both of your questions.

Edit: I should have said yes to all three of your questions.

Mountain Man
07-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Homedepot and Lowes have it even

Rick
07-04-2009, 08:54 AM
You might find it labeled "flax seed oil". You need to be very careful with it because any rags you use can go up in flames all by their lonesome if you just leave them in a pile in a garbage can or other type of receptacle.

tonester
07-04-2009, 01:46 PM
thanks for the help guys. how much do i put on? should i put on multiple layers? do i need to wait a couple of days to let it soak in and dry? sorry for all the questions guys, i just wanna make sure im doing it right. thanks for all the help again!

Rick
07-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Are you sure you want to use linseed oil on it? If you plan on using the axe a lot then you really don't need to do anything with it. The oil from your hands will coat the wood. However, if you are going to use it only on occasions then oiling the handle will protect it from moisture and insects.

I've used both pressed and boiled linseed oil. The pressed gives a more golden color while boiled is much darker. The problem with pressed oil is it doesn't dry very well. The boiled linseed oil will dry harder but much darker.

My grandfather used a mixture of pressed oil and turpentine in a 50/50 mix for his handles (he used it on his metal tools, too.) It dries crappy and takes several days so he usually took some light steel wool and rubbed it down after a few days and then applied True Oil over the top. He would also pin the head to the handle and drill the butt of the handle, add oil, then cap it. The idea was the oil would migrate up the handle. I have no idea if it does or not but he must have believed in it.

Dang lot of work doing that but he used his axes every day. Why not just use True Oil on it and be done with it? You can even get True Oil in spray form today.

You can do it a couple of different ways. You can soak the handle for several days then clean it up or you can apply thin coats. If you go with the linseed oil then let it soak. If you use the True Oil you can apply it in coats until you are happy with the result. You don't have to steel wool in between coats unless you just want to.

By the way, don't use paint or varnish on your handle unless you just want a pretty. Paint will cause your hands to blister when using the axe and varnish will be slick as snot if it gets wet.

Remember any rags that you use with linseed oil can self ignite so I generally rinse them in water before discarding.

tonester
07-04-2009, 08:51 PM
thanks for the info rick. i think im gonna try the true oil out. i dont plan on using this axe everyday, probably just a couple times a week if that. dont know if ill be using it enough for the oil from my hands to coat it. we'll see.

Rick
07-05-2009, 01:24 AM
Let me know how it turns out. I have a couple of very fine axes I inherited. I have a splitting axe that needs to have the handle replaced but I've never been able to bring myself to do it. It was my grandfathers and he put the handle on himself. The other is a double bit felling axe of his that has a crooked handle. It's really kind of funny to look at because it has a terrible bow in it. He called it a two faced (double bit. Get it?) cripple and would always make a face when he said it as if it were a spiteful neighbor. He said he used it to cut the limbs on the opposite side of the tree. The bow in the handle is so bad he might have. I think he hung on to it 'cause it was a great conversation piece. Worthy of discussing over a snort or two. That's just my theory, anyhow, and I'm sticking to it.

tonester
07-10-2009, 01:43 PM
hey rick im having some trouble finding that true oil stuff. ive been to the home depots near my house and they dont seem to carry it and none of the workers seem to know what the heck im talking about. they keep on showing me finish for wooden floors or for outdoor furniture. i dont know if i can use any of that stuff?

crashdive123
07-10-2009, 01:49 PM
You might check gun stores or wood hobby stores. Tru Oil is often used to finish gun stocks. If you're inclined, there are probably a ton of places to get it on line.

Rick
07-10-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm surprised that Home Depot doesn't stock it. Here's a link:

Amazon has it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000C5398/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=304485901&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001AT3AJ8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1K67JFB7XA37EBWKQHXM

Midway is a little more:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=152772

Rick
07-10-2009, 04:03 PM
I think I got the last bottle at Wal-Mart. You might give your local Wally a call. Here's the Birchwood Casey web site.

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html

tonester
07-10-2009, 04:35 PM
thanks again rick and crash! i think im gonna check out wal-mart and if i have no luck i will check out those links you guys sent me.

Rick
07-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Hope and Coot - What do you guys use on your axe handles? Do you treat them or just use au natural?

Sourdough
07-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Hope and Coot - What do you guys use on your axe handles? Do you treat them or just use au natural?

I just go naked........The one thing I do is soak all wood handled tools in water before using. It swells the head a bit, and the handles are far less brittle. The owner of a tool rental co. taught me that. You don't need to soak it for very long either. I never refinish the handles, sometimes I'll sand it lightly, very lightly. Also I have gone to Estwing tools with all steel handles, and plastic or fiberglass on the mauls, when replacing old tools.

tonester
07-12-2009, 01:21 PM
i was chopin a log about 6in thick last night with my new 19in wetterlings and the handle split down the middle!

atlatl55
08-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Ok my 2 cents on axes. Saws do ok if ya like to work hard sawing. I tryed to do all my camp wood with a saw one time and went back to the one easy chop of an axe. Ever try to split a 8" log with a saw? My base camp has a saw and small axe and a large axe for large log splitting. They make diffrent size tools for diffrent size jobs. Same reason they make diffrent size knives. If I was backpacking then of coarse I go lite as possible and the saw is very quiet to use but to say one tool is the answer to all situations I think not.
I report you decide.

Rick
08-13-2009, 12:26 AM
Hard to argue with that logic. I carry a Gerber Sportsman saw, an Estwing Sportsman axe, a RAT 7 and a Mora 780. Different tools for different jobs.

Trabitha
01-25-2010, 06:17 PM
OH!!! I have the best axe/saw EVER! Gerber makes it. It's the Gator Axe II and it's awesome. For me, it's all about quality and weight. If it's going to weigh me down, I don't care how it works. I will look endlessly for something the EXACTLY fits my needs. This axe has a smaller version of the traditional gator saw, in the handle. 2 for 1 baby!

cyc79
03-02-2010, 12:38 PM
For those of you that have an Estwing,this is what I did to mine to make it easier to use one handed .I used hockey tape.And yeah,I can see my toes too!

crashdive123
03-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Slap shot and he scores!

Good idea.

Rick
03-02-2010, 02:40 PM
I cut the handle down on mine and regripped it in leather.

http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/16/p2639216_x.jpg

cyc79
03-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Ha ha.That's good.Beautiful work,every bit as good as the factory!:clap:

Alaskan Survivalist
03-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Reading through this thread I thought I would mention how to sharpen an axe. The topic was danced around so much it makes me wonder. Only one guy said use only a file, the way I do it. The edge of an axe takes a pounding and sharp edges are thin edges and cannot take a pounding. Axes are not sharpened like knives. The first thing to know sharpening anything is to push into the edge. Going the other direction will leave a thin burr that breaks off easily. First I file sides at 30 degrees or in line with angle of axe. It will become apparent quickly that it would take a long time to remove knicks at this angle but it must be done for subsequent sharpening like knocking down depth gauge when sharpening chainsaw. After a reasonable amount of filling at that angle fill directly across edge of axe to remove knicks. This will flatten out edge. When they are removed, file the thin flat edge at a 45 degree angle to get edge. This is a stronger angle that can take the pounding. I never heard of anybody using diamond embeded sharpeners or leather straps to sharpen an axe but I would be interested how you do it not just that's what you use.

SurvivalFaith
04-14-2010, 08:33 PM
I cut the handle down on mine and regripped it in leather.

http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/16/p2639216_x.jpg

it seems very stable and the end of the axe head can't be loose.

Alaskan Survivalist
04-14-2010, 08:47 PM
it seems very stable and the end of the axe head can't be loose.

30 plus years of use and the head on my Estwing hasn't loosened yet!

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/134.jpg

justin_baker
04-15-2010, 12:30 AM
Ive been using a saw/large knife combo for a couple of years now. Seems a lot more efficient and lightweight that carrying an axe, although i have very little experience with axes. Am i just ignorant? An axe seems way too dangerous considering i have know one to teach me how to safely use it. Plus, full body motion swings seem like they would take a lot of energy, with a knife all you are working is your arm to smack at your blade.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
05-06-2010, 08:50 PM
30 plus years of use and the head on my Estwing hasn't loosened yet!

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/134.jpg

I like it! Now if I can find one! A bit much to carry on a day trip though....

Alaskan Survivalist
06-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Dip netting opens on the Kenai river on the 10th of July so I figured I better clean up my Estwing to clean all the fish. I’ve mentioned before that I modified my hatchet to serve as a knife as well. It works much better than trying to use a knife as an axe. This is an Estwing Riggers axe which is like the carpenters hatchet only with a longer handle. I’ve had this one for 30 years and as you can see it gets used.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1256.jpg

I’ve been maintaining this way since I’ve had it. I use a die grinder with a Scotch Brite sanding disc to remove pitch, rust and whatever gum that builds up.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1257.jpg

I then go over the whole thing by hand with a Scotch Brite pad to get an even finish and get places hard to get to with die grinder. The whole job can be done by hand it would just take longer.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1258.jpg

The grooves in the hammer head are to grip nail heads when struck. If they become worn I use a triangle shaped file to restore them. I do not use this to hit metal unless it is a nail or I am trying to shrink sheet metal. This time they are still in good shape so I just used a wire wheel to clean the grooves.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1259.jpg

Now for the sharpening. As I stated in comment #233 begin by taking out 30 degree material. You will note that on the upper edge I have rounded it and extended the 30 degree grind around the corner. This is what makes this the best survival tool there is and I mean this particular one because you cannot buy them like this. This portion of blade is sharpened as a knife is and used much like an Ulu.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1261.jpg

Then as I described in how to sharpen an axe I flatten blade to remove nicks except for the upper portion of blade. Then the lower section is filed on a 45 degree angle for strength and the upper portion is done with a stone and sharpened like a knife.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1264.jpg

I made a leather cover to protect the edge years ago and the file and stone are part of my kit.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1268.jpg

I know my ways seem strange but that’s because they don’t come from a book. Faced with the situation I worked with what I had. Sometimes you will find improvisations you come up with are better than anything else available and stick with them. This Riggers Axe has proven itself over and over.

crashdive123
06-30-2010, 11:21 PM
It cleans up real nice.

ruffoverlord
09-20-2010, 12:14 AM
I have a small WW2 hatchet from germany made of 1 piece of metal with hammer on the back and and screwdriver on the handle. It was so small that it was pretty much useless for any real forest use... I understand why the GIs had better foxholes then the germans lolll.

tsitenha
09-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Like my cousin I carry a GB axe, the small forest ax, easy to carry and very sharp with a thiner blade profile.

Brazito
10-13-2010, 02:22 AM
Those of you with the Fiskars/Gerber hatchets, what if anything do you store in the hollow handle?

crashdive123
10-13-2010, 07:15 AM
Those of you with the Fiskars/Gerber hatchets, what if anything do you store in the hollow handle?

I've got the Fiskars mid sized axe. I don't store anything in the handle. It is stored in my truck, which holds everything else I need to store.

Batch
10-21-2010, 06:17 PM
I've got the Fiskars mid sized axe. I don't store anything in the handle. It is stored in my truck, which holds everything else I need to store.

I have Gerber in my truck and don't store anything in the handle.

TimRalston
03-07-2011, 05:51 PM
I just found the “swiss army version” of the E-Tool folding shovels.
This thing is a tough as it gets. I can through out 13 tools that are in my
Bugout bag. This is a true Zoombie Killer. Check it out

crashdive123
03-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Hey there TimRalston. How about checking out our Introduction section.

crashdive123
03-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Oh, and Tim ........ please do not post a link to this great new all in one tool from your site. Thank you.

xj2000
05-10-2011, 05:07 PM
I carry a Gerber axe, and a buckmaster 184.

Rick
05-10-2011, 05:50 PM
I just love it when folks stop by to spam. I'd think no one loved me if we didn't have 300 of them a day.

Survival123
10-01-2011, 01:51 PM
the fiskars 14 hatchet is awesome