PDA

View Full Version : Off the grid with Les Stroud

Justin Case
09-30-2010, 06:34 PM
I am watching this now on Planet Green,, its pretty good, He is tying to build his cabin, setting up solar, etc. you can watch it on line here > http://quicksilverscreen.com/watch?video=47860

Chris
09-30-2010, 08:37 PM
I've seen it, but it is fairly unrealistic in that his budget exceeds a typical family's thanks to his show sponsorships and whatnot.

Justin Case
09-30-2010, 08:41 PM
I've seen it, but it is fairly unrealistic in that his budget exceeds a typical family's thanks to his show sponsorships and whatnot.

Yes, I noticed that too, That whole wind/solar set up looks like it cost a fortune. But at the same time, He "Said" he couldn't afford to have a 9000 dollar well drilled ? yeah right !

wareagle69
10-01-2010, 07:00 PM
well to be fair, he did do this show back in 2006 in between season 1 and 2 so he really did not have the money or sponsers that he has now, remember this was a canadian show long before the US stations picked it up, i am facing that problem now with dual survivor just now coming out

Camp10
10-02-2010, 06:11 PM

I dont think it would be out of range. Assuming he could sell his other house and really did get this place for so little, it wouldnt be that hard to believe that he could have done it. People build new homes all the time while still living in their other one, this probably cost less than that.

Chris
10-04-2010, 05:19 PM
It wasn't the house, but some of the equipment (solar panels, etc), that I was referring to. He went with a pretty expensive option for home power generation. It was indulgent, and probably paid for by the manufacturer of the panels etc as product placement.

Also... I sometimes dislike his tolerance for hocus pocus. IE, divining rods. Why not ask a quiga board?

Camp10
10-04-2010, 06:27 PM
It wasn't the house, but some of the equipment (solar panels, etc), that I was referring to. He went with a pretty expensive option for home power generation. It was indulgent, and probably paid for by the manufacturer of the panels etc as product placement.

Also... I sometimes dislike his tolerance for hocus pocus. IE, divining rods. Why not ask a quiga board?

I dont know about the combo solar/wind system but I once asked a guy who was having a wind turbine installed for his house and the total cost (with installation, consultation, etc) was $12,000 It looked like a very similar control panel as Les'. That was about 5 years ago.

I can tell you that running in a power line to feed a house that far off the road will cost quite a bit more than the startup costs his system would run.

I guess I misinterpreted his part on the divining rod..I thought he said it was science and not like asking an ouija board. I'll take your word for it though because I've heard him down talk other things (but I cant come up with any examples right at the moment).

Alaskan Survivalist
10-04-2010, 08:55 PM
His problem is his mind is not off grid. It's not a question of money and most that try it that way run out of money. The vast majority that come here expect thier theories to work and thier dreams to come true. Is that the reality of any endeavor you have entered into? Those that adjust thrive, those that don't spend a lot of money.

Camp10
10-05-2010, 06:07 AM
His problem is his mind is not off grid.

I think that was the whole premise of this...to live a "normal" life while still being self sufficient. I think it is a good goal.

crashdive123
10-05-2010, 06:23 AM
I kind of enjoyed the series. He showed that not only was it a labor intensive endeavor that can be prolonged by mother nature, and that it could get into some $$$$$, but also that when complete, a lifestyle that would be considered "normal" was possible. The show just opened up (to me anyway) the possibilities of what could be done, along with varying grades of "in between".

Alaskan Survivalist
10-05-2010, 09:24 AM
I did not know it was a series. I think I watched it for about half an hour waiting for a movie to start. I see the real life version of it all the time. These are not the only ideas they bring with them and when people bring thier mindsets with them after a few years a few more people move in and before they know it they have created what they were trying to escape. That is if they don't fail which most do.

Justin Case
10-05-2010, 09:32 AM
you can watch the whole thing if you follow the link in post 1,,, I "think" that is all of it ,,, :)

sgtdraino
10-26-2010, 04:54 AM
Another place to watch:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showpost.php?p=136562&postcount=14

aflineman
10-29-2010, 02:00 PM
I did not know it was a series. I think I watched it for about half an hour waiting for a movie to start. I see the real life version of it all the time. These are not the only ideas they bring with them and when people bring thier mindsets with them after a few years a few more people move in and before they know it they have created what they were trying to escape. That is if they don't fail which most do.

I hear you on that. I have seen the state I love ruined by people moving here and changing it to what they were trying to escape. I very much agree with the former Governor Tom McCall's saying; "Welcome to Oregon. Now go HOME!":drink: