PDA

View Full Version : Price of flour going up?

nell67
09-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Anyone else heard the price of flour is going to double soon??

My neighbors hitched a ride to Sams club to stock up on flour,@ $7 and some change per bag,to closer to $15 per bag.

crashdive123
09-29-2010, 08:16 PM
It's been quite a while since I bought any - I hadn't noticed.

Rick
09-29-2010, 08:17 PM
I'll let you know tomorrow. I'm going to the store.

cowgirlup
09-29-2010, 08:30 PM
I had heard it was going up after the issues in Russia but haven't noticed it yet. I've been keeping an eye on it and bught a little extra JIC.

Sourdough
09-29-2010, 08:31 PM
I'll let you know tomorrow. I'm going to the store.

Don't wear the thong...........:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Sourdough
09-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Massive fires burned the wheat crop in Russia.

welderguy
09-29-2010, 10:05 PM
I sure hope not with thanksgiving and christmas around the corner I usually rotate my stock at that time because they usually have great sales on flour and sugar .

your_comforting_company
09-30-2010, 12:00 AM
it's gonna be hard to support my buscuit habit at that rate.
Guess I'll have to eat more cornbread.

It says a lot about our depencency on mass production techniques and shows our vulnerabilities when those systems fail. If you have money, you get flour. If not, you eat something else. Hopefully you have a stockpile that will last till the prices come back down, if they ever do.
Maybe time to look into cattail and some other plants to supplement...

Winnie
09-30-2010, 04:40 AM
Rank-Hovis Millers has added £89 per tonne to the price of flour. This rise came into effect on 6 Sep. It's basically all due to Russia having a export embargo because of their poor harvest. Canadian harvest was also poor. Other EU countries are also reducing the amount they are putting on the open market.
What's got my Goat, is there's still perfectly edible Wheat going to produce BIOFUEL!! Arrggghhhhhhhhh!!! It's obviously more lucrative....oops, environmentally important than feeding your citizens for a reasonable pice!

crashdive123
09-30-2010, 06:29 AM
That's the thing about poor harvests - prices usually go up. If we get a few hard freezes in central and south Florida, the prices of oranges and other food crops go up. If the next harvest is bountiful, they come down. Inflation will certainly affect all of the prices, and possibly for long periods. Crop failures will as well, but hopefully for just the short term. As Winnie say, a big factor affecting some prices is that we are putting food in our gas tanks, and that is a very bad idea IMO.

klickitat
09-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Folks, I am the bearer of bad news. The price of ALL food is going to go through the roof. Yes there are environmental reasons from time to time, but the more serious problem and the thing we need to pay close attention to is money devaluation. Don't be fooled by the pundits calling it inflation.

The US dollar is collapsing and at a staggering rate. As of this morning gold is at $1313 an ounce and silver is at $22.04 per ounce. The monetary policies that were set up 100 years ago and in there final stages of collapse. Hyper inflation is around the near corner and you had best be buying all the food you can get your grubby little hands on. Also you had best have a way of producing food.

Sure a little gold and silver might be ok, but in the end you will just use it to buy food anyhow at exorbitant prices.

BTW: Gold and Silver have gone up more than 15% in the last 3 months. If you can not afford Gold and Silver, I suggest you might also look at stock piling scrap copper, lead, brass and aluminum. Heck that matter ever scrap steel is a good investment.

Rick
09-30-2010, 12:58 PM
How did Bragg get back on?! Read my several thousand posts on how the economy works. I'll be sure and jump on gold and silver when it's at its highest. The Hunt Bros. will love me. One more time for the newbies. Precious metals have an arbitrarily assigned value just like fiat money. The market is controlled just like fiat money. The value of precious metals can be immediately devalued just like FDR did.

I just got back from the store. Krogers had flour on sale $2.88 per five pound bag. No limit. That was Pillsbury brand.

your_comforting_company
09-30-2010, 02:11 PM
I personally place no value on gold or silver. They are too soft by themselves to make anything out of. It's just shiny. That's all it does.. well, gold does make good conductors, but it still has to be mixed with something else to make it hard enough to use. If you brought me gold and wanted to exchange it for some food I had stored, I would laugh hysterically. It's useless junk and when all the sytems fail, you better have your 6:00 covered with something else.
just my 2¢
seeds would be a much more valuable "trade good" than gold or silver.. at least at my dinner table (err, rock).

klickitat
09-30-2010, 04:40 PM
That is too funny, because I have spent gold and silver at gun shows many a time. I once traded 20 ounces of silver for an AR 15, 6 mags and 1000 rounds of .223.

It is like any other metal and you can exchange it for cash 6 days a week. I never have any problem cashing it in along with steel, copper or any other metal.

Rick
09-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Aha! So you do barter with cash. I knew it!

your_comforting_company
09-30-2010, 05:24 PM
ever made anything out of it? It's made into jewelry. trinkets so folks can say "look what I have"
as long as a "trade system" is in place and it is seen as something that has real value, it will have a place. I don't know why it's a part of people's way of thinking. How much would you pay for gold, right now? What I'm saying, as a commodity.. as a resource to sustain life, would you rather eat gold, or eat bread? I'm talking about Real value, not what some pawn shop gunsmith's book says gold is worth. Gasoline would/could become just as/more valuable than gold, as could a bag of flour should there be enough natural/man-made disasters as to cause global famine.
Iron, steel, bronze, brass.. all these can be made into something. They have real value. gold is just shiny and soft. I'm thinking knife, axe, tool, shovel, building material...
I understand a large portion of the banana crop has been damaged also. All we need now is alphatoxin and boll weevil outbreak to really cause a stir.

so lets say there is a worldwide famine and you have just enough foodstores to last you 6 months, with no more food in sight, other than what wild edibles you can gather. I have gold I want to trade to you for some food. Just how much of your personal foodstore are you willing to part with, knowing that you can't make a knife out of the gold, or a cup, or anything really for that matter, and not knowing how long it will take to recover from the famine?
I didn't mean to turn this into a discussion about gold. The point is I eat a lot of bread. I don't wear jewelry, only my wedding band. What hurts me worse?

Rick
09-30-2010, 06:38 PM
YCC - I'm actually in your court but I would almost guarantee you that even in the darkest hour someone would trade you their last slice of bread for some shiny gold. Different folks have different priorities and you're judging it's worth based on your values. Something only has worth when two people agree it does.

welderguy
09-30-2010, 07:47 PM
I beleive no matter how bad it gets someone will trade for gold and silver with the thinking of One day this will be worth something again and ill be rich.

klickitat
09-30-2010, 08:04 PM
YCC, go back and read my post. You will find that I am right with you. I do advocate some metals, but I guarantee that it will get used long before it is worthless. I buy and sell all sorts of things as part of a living. I predicted the gun bubble long before it burst and before that I predicted when it was time to buy up all the 4x4 that everyone was selling during the gas crunch 2 years ago.

Markets have ups and downs and if you watch what the heck is going on you can see when to get in and get out.

Sourdough
09-30-2010, 08:17 PM
I like LIQUID Assets. (Gin, Vodka, Whiskey, Scotch, Tequila) If I had $50,000.-- worth of each I would not care what the Dollar or Gold did.........:no::no::no:

Rick
09-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Now I have this picture of you, a bear and the attack geese all drunk and sprawled out in the yard.

LowKey
09-30-2010, 08:43 PM
I'm with YCC on the gold. I don't covet it now and certainly wouldn't exchange food for it in a situation where more food may not be forthcoming.

For a moment, let's go back to the wild foodstuffs. When you make cattail flour, how much have you ever really made? How large a stand of cattails would it take to sustain you for a year? How much do you put back in the swamp so you have some for next year?

Same with other foraging. In my travels I've rarely found a bonanza of food out there for the taking. And when other people get hungry enough, there will be even less of it.

What I can grow in my garden? It's about 25' x 25' now and will not sustain two people for the year. There's certainly not enough space on the nearly an acre property to grow wheat for flour and though possibly enough for corn, certainly not bushels of it. Some of you, I'm guessing a very few, could actually put enough vegetable seed in the ground to make it through the year and save some plants aside so you have seed for next year.

I've looked at a couple of survival seed storage cannisters. Most say they are good for 1/2 acre of land. Do you have that tilled and ready to go or at least under a cover crop? What do you do with 5oz of corn seed? According to one of my old books here, it takes on average 10lbs of seed to get 100 bushels of corn out of one acre. And I'm sure that is under optimum growing conditions with fertilizer and pesticides on previously conditioned, tilled ground.

Buy several cans I guess.

Then there is protecting what you have. Even today, the community gardens around here get raided. It isn't by kids doing vandalism. One can only hope the thieves are truly hungry rather than just someone stealing because they can (I can forgive the hungry person, not the one out for the thrill). In dire times, if people are really hungry, that rabbit fence isn't going to stop them. And if they have starving kids at home, fear of your rifle may not either...

I recently met a man down in Florida who lives pretty much off the grid, doing it on a little under 2 acres of land, with a wife and two teenagers. If you've seen the Have More Plan book, that's about what he has. Chickens, rabbits, a beef critter staked out on the grass, had some piglets but sold them, an acre of garden that he can rotate nearly all year round. He has a small freezer with assorted meat, fish and venison in it and nearly a whole room as a pantry where he keeps the put up goods in canning jars. He had store-bought canned stuff but not to the extent I would guess some of you might have (judging from Ken's and Rick's lists). It sure put a different light on the whole thing to see someone actually doing it because he has to in order to survive, not because he is playing at it or does it on weekends. As I've said, I'd go down swinging, but seeing the amount of work this man does to keep food on the table while still being able to use the modern conveniences of tractors and electricity was a real wakeup call. It really made me doubt some of my so-called preparations.

Sourdough
09-30-2010, 10:05 PM
LowKey, that was a nice post, Rep point sent, thanks.

beetlejuicex3
10-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Rank-Hovis Millers has added £89 per tonne to the price of flour. This rise came into effect on 6 Sep. It's basically all due to Russia having a export embargo because of their poor harvest. Canadian harvest was also poor. Other EU countries are also reducing the amount they are putting on the open market.
What's got my Goat, is there's still perfectly edible Wheat going to produce BIOFUEL!! Arrggghhhhhhhhh!!! It's obviously more lucrative....oops, environmentally important than feeding your citizens for a reasonable pice!

Is wheat made into biofuel? I thought it was corn.

"Food Inc." The US runs on corn. And Monsanto.

Rick
10-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Here is the Midwest its primarily corn. They are working on some other grasses. Switch grass, I think, is one. No reason wheat couldn't be fermented into alcohol. Seems a waste of good food and gasoline, though.

Wise Old Owl
10-15-2010, 11:27 PM
I like LIQUID Assets. (Gin, Vodka, Whiskey, Scotch, Tequila) If I had $50,000.-- worth of each I would not care what the Dollar or Gold did.........:no::no::no:

wow that is so close to what happened in the first years of the USA, People bartered with whiskey and they proposed a tax! it backfired.

Winnie
10-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Had a nasty shock today. I needed to swap out the flour in my stores and the price of flour has gone up from 65p for 3lb to 98p!:noway: So the price increase that was talked about has filtered down to the shops now.

Old GI
10-26-2010, 02:11 PM
"Precious Metal"?

If you can't shoot, eat or grow it; where's the value? Although, buy high, sell low has been my practice in the past; it worked so well.:blushing:

canid
10-26-2010, 03:04 PM
i'm glad at least that the prices of honey and peanut butter have started to drop recently.

with the savings on a big jar of PB, i can easily offset any extra cost in flour. just a few months ago it was around 8 bucks for the generic stuff.

tipacanoe
10-26-2010, 07:16 PM
I don't know a lot about all the different flour's, but a store in town has their brand (IGA) for 99 cents per 5 pound bag. My wife usually buy's Pillsbury, but for the price I think a couple of bags here will do just fine. I wonder why they don't sell flour in tin cans, or even just in plastic pails. I would think it would last much longer and never have bugs to worry about.

LowKey
10-26-2010, 07:20 PM
In a tin can or plastic you'd pay more for the packaging than the flour. A cheap commodity has to have cheap packaging or no one would buy it. Besides, you can put it in your own cannister at home (kicking himself again for not recognizing grandma's old cupboard as the Hoosier it was, dammit.)

Emergency Essentials has #10 cans of flour in various flavors on sale for $5.99 a can. Near as I can figure it's about 4 pounds in a can for that price, not the 5lbs you get in a bag.

Tundrascout
10-27-2010, 01:24 AM
Might want to buy some undies and socks (http://www.investmentu.com/2010/August/cotton-price-increase.html) before flour...

canid
10-27-2010, 02:38 AM
sure, but generally i only buy a few cotton items each year.