PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the Grid ?

Justin Case
09-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Video from CBS 60 min segment,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khK_QTWl5Nc&NR=1

For those on dial up.

http://www.huliq.com/files/imagecache/article_main/news_article/images/bloom_box_energy.jpg

The Bloom Box is the future of energy
Submitted by Serge Francois on 2010-08-30
Bloom Box

Silicon Valley startup Bloom Energy has invented what some are calling the power plant in a box, a little square shape device which is about the size of a brick is said to be able to power an entire home.

With the Bloom Box You'll generate your own electricity wirelessly with out the need for addition equipment in the home, Bloom Energy ultimate goal with the box is to get rid of the need for big power plants and transmission line grids. Co-founder and chief executive, K.R. Sridhar, while working as a director of the Space Technologies Laboratory at the University of Arizona, was approached by NASA and asked him to find a way to make life sustainable on Mars. The first project his lab came up with was a device that would use solar power and Martian water to drive a reactor cell that generated oxygen to breathe and hydrogen to power vehicles, from that came the Bloom Box.
Breakthrough technology that will revolutionize the way we think of energy

The Bloom Box is a solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC) that uses liquid or gaseous hydrocarbons (such as gasoline, diesel or propane produced from fossil or bio sources) to generate electricity on the site where it will be used, According to the company, a single cell (one 100mm × 100mm metal alloy plate between two ceramic layers) generates 25 watts.

In an interview with CBS, company co-founder K.R. Sridhar was asked about whether the box is intended to replace the utility companies he responded by saying, "The Bloom box is intended to replace the grid…for its customers. It's cheaper than the grid, it's cleaner than the grid." So far the small startup claims to have 20 large corporations as customers testing Bloom boxes in California. FedEx, Walmart, Google to name a few are all on board.

Other types of alternative energy sources.

Many skeptics would point out the fact that fuel cells have underdelivered on their promise over the years but the company is worried and is very confident about their device. "Our system can use fossil fuels like natural gas. Our system can use renewable fuels like landfill gas, bio-gas," Sridhar said in an interview, Bloom's corporate boxes cost about $700,000 to $800,000 and have a three- to five-year payback period, the company estimates. As the device begins the mass production phase each home sized Bloom device will cost under $3000, "We are twice as efficient as the U.S. national grid, which means we can produce the same amount of electricity for half the fuel and half the carbon footprint," Sridhar says.

Many Analyst are predicting that Bloom could do very well in U.S. states that subsidize alternative energy technologies, such as California, New York, and Connecticut. We have to wait and see what impact the Bloom Box will have on our ever growing need for energy. Bloom boxes will power not just our richest companies, but remote villages in Africa and all our houses said Sridhar.

DOGMAN
09-28-2010, 12:43 PM
I had an idea last year, that I thought would be great. A government project that would put lots of people to work across the nation, get us all using renewable energy, and help us all be better prepared during a natiral disaster.

Basically, it would be every home in the USA would have a solar panel put on it, this would be tied to the grid...then everyone would also have a battery pack so if the power went out in there area- they'd still have power for awhile. Also, if it was cloudy in one area...it would still be sunny somewhere- so power would still be generated. Imagine how much power would be generated in there was a solar panel on every home in America!

Have the entire system set up like a hybrid car. we could still have coal, diesel, hydro and nucleur plants- but they would only be there to back-up whatever needs the solar projects couldnt meet.

Now, imagine the work force it would take to manufacture, install, and maintain that many solar panels- as well as the jobs involved in educating a work force to do it... The idea could potentially cure much of our energy and financial problems!

Justin Case
09-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Thats a good Idea,, after all, the wiring is already in place,, hmmm,, I Like it ! :)

DOGMAN
09-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Also, don't forget my human wheel idea...basically a human sized gerbil wheel, that is set-up to be a generator. Every unemployment office, welfare office, and jail and prison has a hundred of them (more or less depending on population). In order for someone to get their unemplyment of welfare check for a week they'd have to spend 40 hours on the wheel. Prisoners and people in jail- same thing- they walk 40 hours a week to get their food. This would not only generate alot of energy it would help with obesity and health care issues because of all the exercise people would be getting!

Justin Case
09-28-2010, 12:58 PM
If they did that there would be no need to pay for unemployment insurance ,,

Rick
09-28-2010, 02:57 PM
I saw somewhere about a health center that connected their stair machines and stationary cycles to run generators and power the health center.

Lot's of ways to improve the way we create and use energy.

2dumb2kwit
09-28-2010, 04:00 PM
I had an idea last year, that I thought would be great. A government project that would put lots of people to work across the nation, get us all using renewable energy, and help us all be better prepared during a natiral disaster.

Basically, it would be every home in the USA would have a solar panel put on it, this would be tied to the grid...then everyone would also have a battery pack so if the power went out in there area- they'd still have power for awhile. Also, if it was cloudy in one area...it would still be sunny somewhere- so power would still be generated. Imagine how much power would be generated in there was a solar panel on every home in America!

Have the entire system set up like a hybrid car. we could still have coal, diesel, hydro and nucleur plants- but they would only be there to back-up whatever needs the solar projects couldnt meet.

Now, imagine the work force it would take to manufacture, install, and maintain that many solar panels- as well as the jobs involved in educating a work force to do it... The idea could potentially cure much of our energy and financial problems!

Not a bad idea, but I don't think you realize how much energy the "average" household uses. I think it would take a bunch of panels, and a big battery bank, to make much of a dent in what people use.
I think most people could save more energy than one panel would produce, with very little effort.....if they would only try.

2dumb2kwit
09-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Also, don't forget my human wheel idea...basically a human sized gerbil wheel, that is set-up to be a generator. Every unemployment office, welfare office, and jail and prison has a hundred of them (more or less depending on population). In order for someone to get their unemplyment of welfare check for a week they'd have to spend 40 hours on the wheel. Prisoners and people in jail- same thing- they walk 40 hours a week to get their food. This would not only generate alot of energy it would help with obesity and health care issues because of all the exercise people would be getting!

Now you're talking!!!
Killing several birds with one stone! I like it!!!

canid
09-28-2010, 04:42 PM
they've been able to scale the boxes down, but not the 3-400k pricetag.

under the current situation, the large ones are probably more feasible, for use in power stations to supply the grid.

canid
09-28-2010, 04:55 PM
DOGMAN: i'm all for your human wheel idea; heck, i'd put in 40 hours a week on it, but keep in mind that you'd have millions of unemployed people engaged 40 hours per week not trying to find a job.

i can't get on board with the convict idea, because when you incarcerate somebody, you owe them basic requirements for life, and you owe it to them outright. period. otherwise, you might just as well kill them at sentencing. make them do it for anything other than simple, nutritionally sufficient food, sure.

and of course you're going to have over a hundred laborers working to meed the bloated electric needs of an average household, so you still need to take more action to reduce consumption. how about sentencing power hogs [say families using more than 1.25x the per-capita consumption average] to 30 hours on the wheel on a given month?

oh, and of course:
"anybody who manufactures, causes to be manufactures, or imports for sale an ad-dc adapter device commonly known as a 'wall hog' which is not of the switched mode type" will get 100 hours on the wheel each.

same for any major appliance that does not meet a reasonable energy efficiency rating.

Rick
09-28-2010, 06:17 PM
how about sentencing power hogs [say families using more than 1.25x the per-capita consumption average] to 30 hours on the wheel on a given month?

I know that was all a joke but if you think I'm going back to basic cable you are sooooo wrong. I consider HDTV a basic survival requirement.

Perhaps we could utilize one giant treadwheel that all the prisoners in the US could be chained to. It would be the slave galley of the 21st Century. Personally, I think they should be force marched on bread and water rations just to provide power so I can watch Dual Survivor.

Batch
09-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Solar cells are starting to get pushed. But putting one or even covering the whole roof of a house isn't going to get it done.

As for the convicts. Make them run a 2/1 ratio. They power their electricity at a 2/1 rate.

canid
09-28-2010, 07:40 PM
no; it's simple: switched mode adapters are a little bigger, and twice as expensive to manufacture [way more to buy], but if the manufacturers where forced to make more of them, the volume would more than make up for their overhead.

if they only made them for every dc device, it would make a huge difference in household and office appliance power consumption.

the non switched mode adapters basically shunt a lot of power out to ground at all times they are plugged in [even when no device is plugged into them, or it is not powered on], so they spend most of their energy throwing it away for no reason.

refrigerators and freezers, air conditioners, many vacuum cleaners, microwave ovens, heaters etc. should [and easily could, at not much additional cost] be far better designed for efficiency.

houses should all be better insulated, at what, a couple of hundred dollars added expense during the build of a residential house?