PDA

View Full Version : One tent or two?

NoSweat88
09-27-2010, 06:47 PM
I have posted this question before as a reply to another post, but never really got an answer, so I'll ask again.

We are a family of four...2kids plus 2 old kids. My children are high functioning autistic, which is posing some interesting problems when planning for S H'ing the F.

I am trying to decide on tent options. In the learned opinions of those here, which is best.... Two 2-3 person tents ( I carry one, the wife carries the other) or a single 4-6 person tent ( I would probably end up carrying the main tent and give the wife the fly, poles, etc) I vacillate on the size of the tent because, in my experience, a two person tent really isn't good for two people. So a three person tent might be more comfortable. Same for the 4-6 person setup. Whichever I choose, I don't forsee the large tent going over 14 lbs. (geezzz...my back hurts just thinking about it)

I am planning for a 7 day event. I know that two tents would be twice the work and ALL the tent setup would be MY work. My plans call for hiking to our BOL and staying put there. I don't plan on breaking camp every day and moving to another location.

Whad'ya think?? Two tents or one?

NS88

(mods...hope I picked the right forum...if not, pls move.)

Rick
09-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Are you hiking or car camping? I'm assuming hiking since you say you'll be carrying it.

Does it have to be a tent? If yes, I certainly understand. It's a tent or don't go with my wife.

I also don't know what $$$ you are looking at.

I would go with (2) two person tents. A large tent is probably going to be above 14lbs. unless you go with top end and then you'll pay top dollars.

Look at the Marmot Twilight 2P. My wife and I use it and it has plenty of room for two people and two large vestibules for gear. You are in the $250 realm per tent but it looks like you can get it at Joe's for $219.00

http://www.joessportinggoods.us/78556240443.html

The nice thing about this tent is it DOES come with a footprint (many don't) and it DOES come with a gear loft, which is handy. It vents well, too so you don't have condensation build up inside. It's 5.5 pounds so it's a bit hefty but far less than the big tent you are looking at.

I like Eureka, too. A newer one that is getting decent reviews is the Eureka Apex 2. It sleeps 2 and you can get it for $68 each.

http://www.americanesuperstore.com/gs40829.html

Here it is for $75.

http://www.campingcomfortably.com/eureka-apex-2-fg-adventure-tent.html

I haven't used the Eureka so find someone like Dick's that has it and see what it looks like for size. It looks like it also has a footprint and loft.

kyratshooter
09-27-2010, 10:58 PM
It is very difficult to think in true survival terms. We have "rules" embedded in our thought processes that have no place in true emergencies. No trace camping, bring your own firewood, no cutting standing wood, enclosed shelters with netting and zip doors, hunting seasons

You all need to be in one shelter with the situation you have. The time will come when you have to leave the shelter to check out something and you want Mom right there with both kids at the instant you must scoot. No running around trying to get everyone where they need to be.

Might I suggest that you abandon the concept of a tent and embrace a shelter of some other type.

If you build a dabris hut, using a lightweight rainproof fly as the roof you can get a bigger shelter with less weight. Quit thinking about poles, stakes and such. Add more 550 cord to the pack.

SHTF most of the rules about cutting poles and no trace camping are out the window. Build a big lean-too with a waterproof roof, bursh thatch sides and a trench fire in front of it. I have used these shelters in some real nasty weather and been reasonably comfortable.

EdD270
09-28-2010, 12:49 AM
I like room and privacy. When our kids were home, we carried tents to go around so DW and I could be alone when we wanted to. I'm guessing you are talking car camping or short backpacks with the little ones to start with.
I'd go with two tents, get 3-man tents to allow room for gear to be out of the weather, and also carry a 8x10 or 9x12 tarp for a dining/game playing shelter.
For long term SHTF use, two tents and a tarp will definately be nice. But bear in mind the tents are only for use when traveling to a BOL and for temporary shelter there while you build more permanent shelter out of available materials.

Trabitha
09-28-2010, 10:05 PM
When we hike with just the three of us, we bring one tent, but split it between our packs. If I were to have 4 people, and space in the tent would be a little too tight with lots of supplies, I would most definitely bring two smaller tents that the two strongest could carry. I've hiked up with my husband and 2 children and split the tent pieces between us ALL, so that may be an option too.

Hope that helps!