PDA

View Full Version : State of mind, Retired?

hunter63
09-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Maybe should have posted this in the "gardening" section, but was too good not to share.
Just struck me as humorous.

I had cleaned up all my tomatoes, as they were showing signs of blight, and had bagged them up for off site disposal.

So I head out to the cities yard waste/composting site (one good thing about our city) with my bags, Monday morning, 10'ish.

As I have sorta been retired for a year or so, I thought I would miss the Sat rush of week end warriors.
You know, the brand new SUV with a hurried 30-ish, driver, speeding in, heaving bags into the pile, winching at the couple of spots of dirt and grime on the new carpet, and take off, hoping to not miss his "T" time or collage football game.

Pulled in and there were about 7-8 older people (?, retired?), unloading.

Now what I noticed was the lack of rush, take bags out of 10 year old pickup (you know the kind with the compass by the RR mirror).

Carefully untie the bag, empty the contents, dump it out, straighten and fold the bag for recycling (another trip?) and put back in the truck.

When done, head for the free compost, and wood chip mulch, load into those same bags, and brought along buckets, with a brought along shovel.
Then off to home, lunch, watch their stories, and take a nap.

I guess I need one of them compasses, but I gotta tell you this state of mind isn't a bad thing.

your_comforting_company
09-27-2010, 03:04 PM
When you slow down you see all sorts of things you didn't have time to notice before. I'd bet they were all sorta happy looking fellas too (?retired?). Get you one of them compasses to hang on the mirror.. in case you wanna drive off on some random direction for a while :D

hunter63
09-27-2010, 03:10 PM
LOL, I do a lot of directional driving, so it's hard to get lost in Wisconsin.
East Lake Michigan. north Lake Superior, west Mississippi River, south Illinois, (you can tell because everyone speeds, doesn't use directional lights and will cut you off for no reason).
Can't talk much now time for my nap.........................

Rick
09-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Man, this is so true. I sit in the woods these days and just watch nothing. After a while I'm not sure if I dozed off or nothing actually happened. Either way I don't mind.

Alaskan Survivalist
09-27-2010, 03:45 PM
You have to move slow when you get old so you don't hurt yourself. It's good practice for being dead when you don't move at all. I always tell guys on the job they should never move faster than they can think but at the other end of the spectrum are people that you have to drive a stake in the ground to guage any movement.

hunter63
09-27-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm kinda getting used to, the "Well, if I don't get'er today, I give in heck tomorrow".
No wait, gotta go out to The Place tomorrow, well, maybe Wednesday.............

kyratshooter
09-27-2010, 05:03 PM
You have to move slow when you get old so you don't hurt yourself.

Not so AS. We move slow because we already hurt so much. And most of it came on the job!

Almost every long term injury I have is due to some fool thing I had to do at work, knowing it was going to hurt me. The choice was clock out and go home.

:eyepoke:

What I really love about being retired is the lack of "push". I have a load of trash to take to the dump myself. It is pouring rain today. No problem, I will take it tomorrow, or the next day, and maybe I'll stop at the range and shoot a while if I feel like it. If I meet someone at the range I enjoy talking too I may sit and talk all day. Then I might just come home and take a nap, if I feel like it.

Old GI
09-27-2010, 05:20 PM
HEY!!!! I'm not even retired yet and I approach life that way.:thumbup1:

Rick
09-27-2010, 06:28 PM
"Well, if I don't get'er today, I give it heck tomorrow".

Yeah. That's how I feel about tying my shoes.