PDA

View Full Version : The truck tent.

Camp10
09-26-2010, 06:42 PM
I picked up a tent for the back of my truck a month ago and got a chance to test it out this weekend. I picked mine up through Sportsmans guide,http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-truck-tents.aspx?a=614014 it was about $70 and said it was comparible to the $250 ones I was looking at.

In it's taken down state, the tent fits behind the seat of my truck and has been riding there for the past month. It takes up very little space and weighs little as well. I keep a lightweight 20 degree bag in the truck as well. The whole "kit" fits behind the seat and there is still room for a tool kit, first aid kit and some other odds and ends.

This weekend was its test run. I took my 11 year old son with me up to the allagash to try some fishing and to hang out. I figure that it will only be a few more years at best before it wont be cool to spend time with dad and I plan to drag him around as much as I can between now and then!

Anyways, we were able to get the tent up for the first try in about 5 minutes. this is also adjusting all the straps and learning which pole goes where. Not bad, IMO. The tent is very sturdy when set up. I didnt like the way it hangs over the rails of the bed but it only took a few minutes of rain for me to see why it was designed this way.

The wind blew very hard yesterday. It started from the west and shifted to the northwest through the night. I'll guess that the gusts were 35-40 MPH with a drizzle that turned into a steady light rain. The rain stopped around 2:30 this morning and the wind died down for a few hours as well. The temps dropped into the 40's for the rest of the night. I woke up this morning around 6:30 to the sounds of wind again. It wasnt nearly as hard as through the day Saturday but it was picking up. I was a little relieved to hear it though because I thought it might help dry the tent out. I opened the door flap to let the breeze into the tent to help dry out the condensation that formed through the night and that is when my son noticed the rain clouds.

We scrambles to pack up and get everything put away before the rain started again and nearly made it..it drizzled on us a little but we were still dry when we finished the cleanup.

The tent worked out great. Our gear stayed dry, the tent held up to the wind and we were warm despite the bad weather outside. It set up fast, took down easy and takes up little room. The truck tent keeps me off the ground, which is a plus this time of year when the ground can be cold. It also gives a little better level of protection from things that creep and crawl on the ground. This is a big plus for my son who gets a little nervous when the coyotes start talking.

Now the negative, you have to take all your gear out to set the tent up. I have a tool box to put most of the gear that wont be put into the tent but it means handling everything. With a 3/4 ton truck, that first step is a doozy! I didnt have much trouble but my son had to slide onto the tailgate backwards and spin around on his knees.

All in all, I am happy with the purchase. I think it would be great in a get out quick situation and much easier on the wallet than a trailer or slide in.

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/hereisfine/100_0406.jpg

Rick
09-26-2010, 06:50 PM
It looks like a dandy. I have a shell on the back of my truck and I don't mind sleeping inside it at all. If you have drain plugs in the bed it might be a good idea to pull them so you don't have any standing water regardless of which direction the bed tilts. Glad you guys had a good time and I'm glad the tent worked for you. Don't forget to set it up so it will dry!!

Camp10
09-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Its set up right now in the garage. There are drain holes in the front of the bed and in the back corners as well. There is little chance of water getting to the bed of the truck with the tent in it and the bed was dry when we removed the tent to take it down. I had a cap on one of my older trucks but got sick of taking it on and off when I needed to haul my 4 wheeler. I think I get better gas mileage without a cap as well, but I dont know that for sure.

Rick
09-26-2010, 07:01 PM
None of the pictures (yours or Sportsmansguide) show the space at the front of the bed. I thought you might take some water there unless it overlaps the front, too.

I wish there was a bit more side to side space in the bed. I usually have gear in the back so I share the space with it. If you had the width of the wheel wells that would be just about right. Did you guys do okay on space? Where did you keep your camp gear?

hunter63
09-26-2010, 07:28 PM
If you add a piece of 1" high density foam board under what ever you have in the bed, makes it a lot warmer.

Never slept in one but look comfy, congrats.

Camp10
09-26-2010, 07:32 PM
I'll take better pics tomorrow before I take it down Rick. I wasnt thinking about a thread when I snapped a pic of the campsite yesterday or I would have taken a few close ups of the tent.

We did fine on space, my truck has an 8' bed so that gives a little bit of an idea on the size of the tent. I also pack in plastic totes so most of my gear can stay outside. If you look close at the picture, you can see the black toolbox to the right of my truck. It has most of the gear that isnt on the picnic table in it.

It overlaps the entire front and the bedrails on the side of the bed. The only place that is exposed is near the tailgate.

Trabitha
09-28-2010, 10:07 PM
NICE!!! I want a truck tent...I guess I should get a truck first. But when I do...you better believe I'm getting a tent for it!!! ;)

Aurelius95
09-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Looks pretty cool. I have been thinking about a tarp/mosquito net set up for the back of my truck. It's a mid-size (Nissan Frontier) with a 6' bed. I definitely like the idea of the truck tent, but the question remains, what do you do with your gear?

Camp10
09-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Well, I finally got home from work with enough daylight and free time. Here are some better pictures of the fit.

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/hereisfine/truck%20tent%20and%20driftwood/100_0409.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/hereisfine/truck%20tent%20and%20driftwood/100_0410.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/hereisfine/truck%20tent%20and%20driftwood/100_0411.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/hereisfine/truck%20tent%20and%20driftwood/100_0412.jpg

and here it is all put away.
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/hereisfine/truck%20tent%20and%20driftwood/100_0413.jpg

With the rain fly, it covers just slightly more of the rear corner (by the tailgate) but there is still a small area that rain can get under the tent. It rained most of the night when I used it and we stayed dry and when I took the tent down, the bed was dry as well.

EdD270
09-29-2010, 07:14 PM
Good report, thanks for the info. I've been considering such a tent, but wanted more info before tripping the trigger and I didn't know anyone who had one. You've helped a lot.

2dumb2kwit
09-29-2010, 07:50 PM
I've thought about them, before. They seemed like a great Idea. My problem, is that I sold my spare truck, and the one that I drive has a toolbox and a fuel tank, in the bed.

Camp10
09-29-2010, 09:15 PM
I've thought about them, before. They seemed like a great Idea. My problem, is that I sold my spare truck, and the one that I drive has a toolbox and a fuel tank, in the bed.

This one is designed to fit both a shortbox and a longbed. If your truck is a shortbed, it extends out on the opened tailgate. I think that it might work okay just behind the toolbox of a longbed. I dont know about both a fuel tank and a toolbox.

kkbmtgg
10-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Cool beans Camp 10, I preciate the review, deer season is upon us in Texas and I have considered such a set up, your info is valuable, thanks.

crashdive123
10-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Hey there kkbmtgg - how about droping on by the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14