PDA

View Full Version : Deer hunting.. stand or stalk?

NightShade
09-26-2010, 04:59 PM
I am curious... For the deer hunters, what method of hunting do you prefer?
I do a combo of it all... Sometimes hunting out of a treestand , sometimes out of a blind, and sometimes just sittin on a rock or stump and waitin... By far my favorite method is a VERY slow stalk through the woods on foot... I've had the most luck that way.

Now, I know to a large degree that terrain will dictate the method.... But my question to you is ... What method do you prefer? And.. If you don't mind, why?

Camp10
09-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Up here, I am mostly a stalker/tracker. I think the woods determines the method for me. I hunt thousands of acres here and there are really not much deer for the amount of land...probably the ratio is 1 or 2 deer per square mile. Sitting will just get you cold. When I go to PA for their deer season, I am a sitter. There are dozens of deer per acre there (okay, probably not really, but you get the idea) and if you are quiet, one will walk by.

DOGMAN
09-26-2010, 06:49 PM
I like to drive the highways in my Hummer- roll down the power windows and shoot from the driver seat, then pinpoint my location with the GPS and have one of my boys (hired hands) come along later and take care of it. If they dont want the meat- they donate it to the local food bank (in my name of course)......and I take the tax write off along with the gratitude of the under-privileged for my overwhelming generosity. (I just had to help you out, Dogman. (wink) Rick)

DOGMAN
09-26-2010, 06:52 PM
In reality I like to still hunt...I am too impatient for tree stands-so I like to creep around and try to stalk them...

for elk I like to "spot and stalk"...hike up high, glass around find one- then watch them figure out where they're heading then plan a hunt to go get 'em!

hunter63
09-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Depends,used to be more of a slow hiker, but a lot of the time we were trying to move deer for my FIL, who was a paraplegic, so his movement was limited.

Now, opening day, is a get there early, and sit all day.
From then on is a sit till it's light, then the real slow walk.

If it's really cold, or I'm just lazy in move into "The office" and sit all day.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/gztheofficecrop.jpg

Rick
09-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Ha. Ha. I was waiting for this pic to be posted. I knew it was just a matter of time. I love multi-use tools!

DOGMAN
09-26-2010, 07:19 PM
thought I was losing my mind!...funny...i was rereading the posts, and thought..."I don't remember writing all this"....then I saw the editors name...lol

hunter63
09-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Yeah, well some times you need the propane stove, thinking about added electric for the cofffee maker.
Life is good!

Rick
09-26-2010, 07:25 PM
I still haven't figured out how you pump that thing out. And human scent would be the least of your worries. Human odor might be in the running though.

hunter63
09-26-2010, 07:34 PM
First, get your self a porta-potty, next remove anything you don't want to hunt with......

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/bzremovecrop.jpg

Rick
09-26-2010, 07:37 PM
That's just wrong. That takes away all the jokes. Just wrong. Don't post that pic anymore! :no:

hunter63
09-26-2010, 07:58 PM
O.K. Gotcha, hate to spoil the fun...........LOL

Swamprat1958
09-26-2010, 08:05 PM
I prefer to slip through the woods stalking, but in the hardwoods I hunt you have to do it after a good rain. Otherwise you sound like a herd of elephants going through the woods. So if it is dry I hunt out of a climbing stand or a ground hide.