PDA

View Full Version : Organic, biodegradable GPS and compass

wildWoman
01-01-2008, 05:12 PM
This one's for the dog people out there...you may have a super GPS and compass without realizing!
I had always told my dogs "let's go back" when we'd turn around on our walks. Where we live now, there's only bushwhacking, no human-made trails, so we always carry a compass. My old dog started showing signs of wanting to lead us back when he figured we were headed home, so one day I put him to the test and said "let's go back". He then led me at a very measured pace, checking to see if I was following, in pretty much a straight line back home! After that, we checked it out with the GPS and compass, and he really does lead us the most direct way. So ever since, when we go some place new and are ready to head back, I get him to lead us home. Somehow it makes for an even closer relationship with your dog.

Tony uk
01-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Hmmmm It sounds like how birds navigate by useing the magnetic fields like a compass, I beleve i read somewhere that many animals have a similar ability includeing humas but not nearly as accurate

Rick
01-01-2008, 06:47 PM
I can do the same thing if I align the metal plates in my head just right and wrap aluminum foil around my ears.:rolleyes:

Actually, I wonder if it has more to do with your dog's sense of smell?

RobertRogers
01-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Very good obs...I wonder how he is doing this?

Tony uk
01-01-2008, 08:23 PM
I can do the same thing if I align the metal plates in my head just right and wrap aluminum foil around my ears.:rolleyes:

He smells his chew toy.

Two Rivers
01-01-2008, 09:55 PM
I'ld imagine its more of the scent trail than anything else.

wildWoman
01-02-2008, 04:36 PM
I don't know either how he does it, he's an old guy, will turn 15 this year and his hearing, eyes, as well as sense of smell are all pretty poor by now. I think pretty much all dogs will find the way back, maybe Blizzard is a bit better than many in that he doesn't get distracted by fresh game tracks etc. Anyway, it's a fun command to teach a dog and might come in very handy!

Rick
01-02-2008, 04:41 PM
I guess the test would be the route you trek. If you go out in a fairly straight route then I could see him nosing his way home. If you went out, say, in a big half circle and he cut trail straight back to the house then something else is at work. I've heard stories of pets traveling a lot of miles to find their way back home over ground they've never been on.

I'm pretty lucky in that regard. My wife keeps dropping me off miles out in the country and I always seem to find my way back home.:D

wildWoman
01-02-2008, 05:02 PM
No, we go all over the place, in all sorts of loops to dodge around wet areas, thick underbrush. When we first moved out here, Blizzy always led us back to one spot above the cabin, but over time we've developed about 5 major routs that provide easy walking and from which we branch out. So what he started doing after a while was leading us from where we'd tell him "let's go back" straight to the closest of these routes (easier walking for him too since he's got a busted knee). Somehow he seems to always know where exactly he is in relation to all familiar trails and landmarks, and then just zeros in on what is closest. He never does much sniffing around or double-checking, after the command, he just swings into the direction he figures must be right and keeps going. I wish I could clone him.

Sourdough
01-04-2008, 10:39 AM
In the early 70's eightteen wolves were radio collared, and moved 143 miles west using a "Hughs Jet Ranger" to the far side of Denali National Park to a point midway between Farewell Lake and Mc Grath, Alaska. In 18 hours the first 6 were home, with-in 5 more hours all but one was home. In less than 24 hours all had made it over the Alaska Range and back to the Clearwater country.

Gray Wolf
01-04-2008, 11:23 AM

I'm a little weary about that, reason being, Bloodhounds are known to be the best at smell tracking people or their belongings than any other type of dogs. Yes other types of dogs have been found to be good at smelling explosives, others at finding different types of narcotics and others that find what's in Ricks closet. Russia is now breeding a type of dog that has an uncanny sense for finding explosives. Their so rare and good at this, that they can not be exported. So then what is it????? :confused:

Rick
01-04-2008, 11:33 AM
I just thought the dog might be following their scent trail back to the ranch. That would have been pretty easy for most dogs to do. Oh, and by the way. Thanks. Now I have to move everything out of the closet and find some place else to hide it.

Gray Wolf
01-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Oh, and by the way. Thanks. Now I have to move everything out of the closet and find some place else to hide it.

Hey the closet was a better idea than your night table was. :eek: