PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Scissors

Rick
09-24-2010, 03:45 PM
In my line of work, a good pair of electricians scissors was an indispensable tool. There wasn't a day that went by that I didn't use them and they are incredibly sharp and tough. It was always a test of the new guys to see if they could cut a penny in half with a pair. I could then but I doubt I could today.

In any case, I was wondering if any of you use them or carry them in your pack or bag. There are just some things a pair of scissors can do so much better than a knife.

Wiss scissors:
http://images.drillspot.com/pimages/394/39436_300.jpg

Klein scissors:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Z7QbYB7uL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Alaskan Survivalist
09-24-2010, 03:58 PM
One of the reasons I carry Swiss Army knife. I use them to cut my fingernails.

tsitenha
09-24-2010, 04:10 PM
I carry a pair of "game shears" in my hunt pack good for rabbit/hare legs and what not.
But otherwise a gerber "micra tool" use it often enough.

Rick
09-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Huge difference between the scissors on a Swiss Army knife and a pair of Wiss or Klein scissors. With these scissors you can cut wire, tin or thin gauge metal (think flashing). You can strip wire using the notches on the side. You can easily cut through bone on small game. You can cut snare wire or steel wire for fishing leaders.

I still use them all the time around the garage. Vehicle and boat wiring especially but lots of other chores, too.

Alaskan Survivalist
09-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Huge difference between the scissors on a Swiss Army knife and a pair of Wiss or Klein scissors. With these scissors you can cut wire, tin or thin gauge metal (think flashing). You can strip wire using the notches on the side. You can easily cut through bone on small game. You can cut snare wire or steel wire for fishing leaders.

I still use them all the time around the garage. Vehicle and boat wiring especially but lots of other chores, too.

I do stuff like that with scissors too. That's why my wife won't let me near hers! For the field it's not just a matter of what they can do it is what they can do that nothing else you have can do. Don't underestimate Swiss Army scissors. They work well for a lot of things.

finallyME
09-24-2010, 04:57 PM
I carry EMT shears.
http://www.gomedsource.com.cn/product%20photos/tools%20&%20instruments/7.5%20EMT%20shear.jpg

http://www.countycomm.com/shear7large.jpg

http://www.countycomm.com/shear1large.JPG

I have two pair of orange ones that I put in my kit and my wife's. I was turned to them in Iraq and carried them on my flak jacket like the picture. I have black ones that I carried in Iraq. They were the best thing to open MRE's. Much safer and easier than a knife. And, I use them more than my knife. They also save my knife blade from dulling faster than it needs to. I don't know why anyone wouldn't carry scissors.

panch0
09-24-2010, 05:35 PM
I got a pair like the one with the red handle. I used it in my Fiber Optic Technician days and still use them for everything. http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/270119313/Electrician_Scissors.html

Justin Case
09-24-2010, 05:42 PM
You can cut a penny in half with a good pair of EMT scissors.

aflineman
09-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Rick, I carry a pair of those everyday also. I have some in my bag and have used them to prepare many a bird for the pot. Just to darn handy not to have with me.
I have been looking at a pair with the same blades, but one larger yellow handle. Should make it easier to cut stuff in half (on a bet) and win drinks at the bar. :D

finallyME, I carried my Klein/Wiss scissors while deployed also. Opened many an MRE with them.

Funny thing. Every place I went, people gave me a hard time for carrying scissors (Power Linemen don't normally carry them. They are for the Phone guys). After awhile though, I noticed that they were either trying to borrow mine, or had got their own. :)

Rick
09-24-2010, 07:39 PM
There's a whole different technique to using them. You insert your ring finger through the bottom loop, let the top loop rest in your palm and wrap your thumb and index finger around the blades. Then you just use the end of the blades to snip whatever you're cutting (unless you're doing the penny routine then you need all the leverage you can muster).

hunter63
09-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Got a pair in my roof top service shoulder bag........Haven't used that bag for a while now, so maybe put them in my BOB bag? (more of a carry all the time bag)
Lot of newer large HVAC systems use a lot of com wire, with all the little fuzzies, strings etc, for controls.

Use the SAK scissors a lot, can't seen to get those new chip bags open with out ripping it the whole thing......and those little condiment packs...hate those things.

Pal334
09-24-2010, 08:05 PM
I have "EMT" scissors in every bag I own ,tool boxes and the glove box of the vehicles. They never failed me, and have a whole bunch of applications. I do get razzed by the wife when I buy a new pair, something about an accusation of senility (as in forgetting how many I have) :)

Rick
09-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Did she say anything about how many pairs of shoes or how many purses she has?

hunter63
09-24-2010, 08:23 PM
...........I do get razzed by the wife when I buy a new pair, something about an accusation of senility (as in forgetting how many I have) :)

Things seem to work out, as we get older we can't remember where things are.....but we can afford a LOT of them.

Pal334
09-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Did she say anything about how many pairs of shoes or how many purses she has?

Nope,and after this many years I am not silly enough to bring up that subject. I have enough trouble with storms, bread, milk etc :)

Rick
09-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Oh, yeah. Forgot about that. Well....carry on then.

Rick
09-24-2010, 08:28 PM
I was out on Monday and drove past a padlock laying in the road. I slowed down and gave it an eyeball. No key. I drove on slowly down the road trying to figure out some use for a padlock with no key. Mostly 'cause it breaks my heart to ignore a tool in the road. Later, I drove past it again. It was like Karma was calling me. I stopped and eyed it again. Still couldn't come up with a logical use. If someone can tell what I could have used it for I'll go tonight and see if it's still there. This is really buggin' me.

The wife was with me, too. That put a crimp in my style...if you know what I mean.

Justin Case
09-24-2010, 08:39 PM
I found a BIG master lock once, Took it to a locksmith and he made me a key for 6 bucks,,,

Rick
09-24-2010, 11:34 PM
Dang it! I knew I messed up. This was a big honker, too. I do have to keep that in mind. I didn't know they'd do that but I see locks in the road all the time. I see bugs on the walls and pretty colors but that's another story all together.

rebel
09-25-2010, 12:02 AM
Have you you noticed that for the first grader type scissors, that you can't find the all metal kind?

aflineman
09-25-2010, 03:13 AM
Rick, you can always use an old lock as a plunkin' weight for fishing). I prefer spark plugs, but it is the first thing that came to mind).

Justin Case
09-25-2010, 08:44 AM
I found a BIG master lock once, Took it to a locksmith and he made me a key for 6 bucks,,,

Dang it! I knew I messed up. This was a big honker, too. I do have to keep that in mind. I didn't know they'd do that but I see locks in the road all the time. I see bugs on the walls and pretty colors but that's another story all together.

I might add, The numbers were still on the lock, It was very easy for a locksmith to look it up and cut a key. Remember to scratch off those numbers on your locks !!

2dumb2kwit
09-25-2010, 05:50 PM
I was out on Monday and drove past a padlock laying in the road. I slowed down and gave it an eyeball. No key. I drove on slowly down the road trying to figure out some use for a padlock with no key. Mostly 'cause it breaks my heart to ignore a tool in the road. Later, I drove past it again. It was like Karma was calling me. I stopped and eyed it again. Still couldn't come up with a logical use. If someone can tell what I could have used it for I'll go tonight and see if it's still there. This is really buggin' me.

The wife was with me, too. That put a crimp in my style...if you know what I mean.

Well.....if you don't have a key for it, you could just put the big lock in a sock, and....uh....oh, nevermind.:stuart:

Rick
09-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Would that be a slock?

pete lynch
09-26-2010, 06:16 AM
As in, "the intruder was slocked over the head by the home owner"?
Are your scissors the 5" or 7" variety?

Rick
09-26-2010, 08:33 AM
Pete, all of mine are 5 inch with sheath. I have one model 5 inch that also includes a utility knife that looks like:

http://www.newtechindustries.com/newtech/installation_supplies/images/teleco2.jpg

hunter63
09-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Rick, you can always use an old lock as a plunkin' weight for fishing). I prefer spark plugs, but it is the first thing that came to mind).

Spark plug fishing, spark plug, someone say, spark plug fishing?
You aren't from south Indiana are you?
I thought I was the only one that did spark plug fishing?
Heard about it from a guy from south Indiana.

You and your fishing partner, case of brew-skies (30pk).
Tie on a spark plug, pop a brew-ski, and start fishing.

One of two things is fix'in on happening, you gonna start catching something on those plugs...or run out of beer.
In either case........It's time to go home!

Red Panda
02-12-2012, 10:53 PM
I had to register on the site, when I saw this thread.

Sorry to resurrect it, but I love my lineman scissors. I use them everyday at work & even have multiple pairs stashed all over my house & in our vehicles. I picked up a bunch that have an extended palm side. They're so much more comfortable, because of the added leverage. I only use my side cutters for thicker guage wire like #10 ground wire.

Rick mentioned the penny cutting trick, earlier. I've earned so many free coffees with that, it's funny.