PDA

View Full Version : BIG IRON......Baby, BIG IRON. Review of the Becker BK-9

Sourdough
09-20-2010, 05:18 PM
The BK-9 arrived today......First response: "WOW" That is a BIG hunk of iron. The second thought is Man, that thing is huge. So First thoughts over the size, I felt the quality was very good for a tool intended too be used hard and abused hard. Blade is 3/16" thick (.188) and 9 1/4" long (9.250) and a staggering 1 7/8" deep (1.875). Over all length is 14 3/4" (14.750) I have already taped the blade to reduce 1/2" (.500) off the tip.

I paid $64.99 including shipping from Lexington, Kentucky to Alaska. I think M.S.R.P. is about $119.00'ish. Fit & Finish is what I would expect on a $150.00 Knife. The design is basic tool, and any beauty is a kind of RUGGED beauty, nothing screams superfluous cosmetic gingerbread. The handle is man size, basic, and functional, as is the overall impression of the knife.

It comes with a Becker BK-13 knife in a pouch in the sheath, for little things like pealing a potato or apple. People snivel about the sheath quality, but for what it is I am impressed with the sheath. It has a pocket for other stuff, like "FireSteel" a swiss army knife, etc..

You can buy Macartta Handles for it for $38.50 But why bother, it would be like lipstick on a hog, it is still a hog.

(I'll add more later......) I am off to the belt sander.

First update: I have shortened the blade 1/2" and to my eye it looks "More Gooder". Also I took some vise-grips and did an extraction of the plastic sheath for the Becker BK-13, It took a few good yanks, but it came out. I have decided that the BK-13 is too small for any application considering the size of my "Real'Man" hands, (read: Gorilla Paw) So that space will house the FireSteel and Magnesium rods & other stuff. Leaving the large pocket still empty.

Update #2) The BK-13 Is a piece of used bear food, as it comes, it took a long time with the belt sander to get an edge. So the two pockets now contain 1- Magnesium rod, 1) 5" by 1/2" dia. FireSteel, & 1) Striker Thingie, 1) small "AAA" battery LED Flashlight, 1) New Diamond'Lap Steel, 1) Small amount of "0000" Steel Wool, 1) Becker BK-13 "sharp" Knife. I have 8' of 550 rope wrapped around the bottom. And still have room for a small first-aid kit (not yet assembled).

Justin Case
09-20-2010, 05:24 PM
LOL,, Like a kid on Christmas morning :) I am glad you are happy with your new toy,, er um,, I mean "Tool" :)

rebel
09-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Let's see if I can cut and paste a pic...http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Becker-BK9-Combat-Bowie/dp/B001IPKL7I

That is an impressive knife. Congratulations on your new baby.

Sourdough
09-20-2010, 05:56 PM
http://www.chestnutridgeknifeshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=72&products_id=630

One More:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B001IPKL7I/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

Sarge47
09-20-2010, 06:08 PM
I love mine! You are absolutely right about the extra pouch, a Mag. block fits in there just perfectly! I added 550 cord around the sheath by wrapping it from the bottom up to where the pouches end. You can fit a loop of 550 cord through the lanyard hole as well. But be really careful...that knife is razor sharp as well as heavy! I had my thumb just a tiny bit to close to the sheath the other day when I pulled the knife out with the other hand and had a small slice in it just that quick! One heavy mother of a knife, that's for sure! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

crashdive123
09-20-2010, 06:54 PM
Congratulations. Hope it works well for you.

Sourdough
09-20-2010, 07:08 PM
First update: I have shortened the blade 1/2" and to my eye it looks "More Gooder". Also I took some vise-grips and did an extraction of the plastic sheath for the Becker BK-13, It took a few good yanks, but it came out. I have decided that the BK-13 is too small for any application considering the size of my "Real'Man" hands, (read: Gorilla Paw) So that space will house the FireSteel and Magnesium rods & other stuff. Leaving the large pocket still empty.

Justin Case
09-20-2010, 07:29 PM
http://www.chestnutridgeknifeshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=72&products_id=630

One More:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B001IPKL7I/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

http://www.chestnutridgeknifeshop.com/catalog/images/08-17-10%20BK9%20MED.JPG
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71oWUIfnwTL.jpg

Sourdough
09-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Update #2) The BK-13 Is a piece of used bear food, as it comes, it took a long time with the belt sander to get an edge. So the two pockets now contain 1- Magnesium rod, 1) 5" by 1/2" dia. FireSteel, & 1) Striker Thingie, 1) small "AAA" battery LED Flashlight, 1) New Diamond'Lap Steel, 1) Small amount of "0000" Steel Wool, 1) Becker BK-13 "sharp" Knife. I have 8' of 550 rope wrapped around the bottom. And still have room for a small first-aid kit (not yet assembled).

crashdive123
09-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Wow! You have officially entered into the realm of kits.

Sarge47
09-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Sourdough, you can also use a hex key to remove the handle pieces uncovering a couple of hollow areas in the handle itself where emergency items, like fish hooks, etc, can be stashed. Oh, & don't forget pics of the completed project! :D

Batch
09-23-2010, 08:19 PM
So they do send the little neck knife with it?

Sarge47
09-23-2010, 08:45 PM
So they do send the little neck knife with it?
The BK13 comes with it. It rides along with it's own little sheath that's attached to the large one with another small pouch attached to it for whatever you might want to put into it! :cool2:

Runs With Beer
10-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Very nice blade, Me likey.

Rick
10-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Instead of spending $70 bucks on a tool then tear it up wouldn't it just be easier to tear up $70 bucks? Hey, just kiddin'. Good report!!

I'm glad you like it. It's nice to make them fit you. I envision a door on the outhouse with a HOB strapped to the inside of the door. (HOB. Oh, come on. You know. Hang Out Bag. Get it? Outhouse? Hang out? I slay myself)

crashdive123
10-19-2010, 08:32 PM
RWB! Good to see you back.

Sourdough
10-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Very nice blade, Me likey.

Welcome back, RWB.

Just an up date, after buying the BK-9 I bought the KA-BAR SP-53. I have decided I like them both, and carry the BK-9 if I think there is almost NO chance I will have to Si-Wash over night. I am going to do a 12+ Mile day hike out to Gull Rock one day this week and I'll take the SP-53 as it will be higher risk this time of year. I would normally carry a sleeping bag and hunk of plastic with the temp. getting down into the teens. But I want to do a day hike with just the 5.11 tactical vest & contents, and pray.

oldtrap59
10-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Nice knife SD. You removed the 1/2" from the blade for looks only? For sure not finding fault just wondering. Hope to see a pic sometime soon.

oldtrap

Rick
10-19-2010, 10:07 PM
So, let me get this straight. You're going to test your gear in a survival scenario and you're going with just one knife. Hang on......Okay. I have the Coast Guard on speed dial now.

Sourdough
10-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Nice knife SD. You removed the 1/2" from the blade for looks only? For sure not finding fault just wondering. Hope to see a pic sometime soon.

oldtrap

Yes, I just never stab things, ever. Plus when your flashing hides the sharp point can "Nick" the hide. Plus it is more politically correct, but mostly I have not need for a sharp point. I also rounded the point on the SP-53.

oldtrap59
10-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Got ya. Can see your point (or lack there of) using it to skin. Used a much smaller knife with the blade rounded for years while skinning fur.

oldtrap