PDA

View Full Version : New Life for Cast Iron Skillet

Justin Case
09-20-2010, 11:24 AM
I dug an old cast iron skillet out of the shed today, It was obvious that it had not been seasoned properly and had a little rust, I cleaned out the rust with some steel wool, Rinsed it off, dried it, Then I sprayed it with cooking spray (Veg oil), Turned the Grill to high and placed the skillet upside down on the grill, Let it bake for 20 min, then turned off the grill, looked pretty good :) just for good measure , I threw 2 pieces of bacon in it and coated the inside good with bacon grease,, It was actually a fun little project :)

I know, I know, I am easily amused. :blush:

roar-k
09-20-2010, 11:56 AM
I dug an old cast iron skillet out of the shed today, It was obvious that it had not been seasoned properly and had a little rust, I cleaned out the rust with some steel wool, Rinsed it off, dried it, Then I sprayed it with cooking spray (Veg oil), Turned the Grill to high and placed the skillet upside down on the grill, Let it bake for 20 min, then turned off the grill, looked pretty good :) just for good measure , I threw 2 pieces of bacon in it and coated the inside good with bacon grease,, It was actually a fun little project :)

I know, I know, I am easily amused. :blush:

My wife never knew how to clean cast iron skillets until I showed her. Her grandmother lived with them while she was growing up and taught her how to make cornbread and so on, but not how to clean them. Lets just say...

Last year I believe it was I used mine to cook some cornbread and my wife put my skillet in the dish washer and then put it away. To say the least when I took it out to cook it was rusted up and I had to through with restoration as well.

Old GI
09-20-2010, 12:02 PM
Cast iron in the diswasher? Man, I thought I had it bad.:surrender:

hunter63
09-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Cool trick taught to me by an old native.
To clean old cast iron, put in your oven and turn on a "clean oven" selection.
Then re-season.
Good job JC, love my cast.