PDA

View Full Version : genetically engineered salmon

Justin Case
09-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Hmm, Whats next ? 4 breasted chickens?

FDA to consider OK of genetically engineered salmon
By Caitlin Hagan and Madison Park, CNN
September 20, 2010 3:37 a.m. EDT

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/HEALTH/09/20/genetic.engineered.salmon.hearing/t1larg.salmon.gi.jpg

(CNN) -- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration will hold a hearing Monday as it considers whether to approve genetically engineered salmon for human consumption.

If approved it would be the first genetically modified animal permitted by the food safety agency.

A company, AquAdvantage Salmon, has injected growth hormones into Atlantic salmon that enable the fish to reach maturity in half the normal growth time, 16 to 18 months, rather than 30 months.

The FDA in an analysis dated Monday, wrote: "We therefore conclude the food from AquAdvantage Salmon that is the subject of this application is as safe as food from conventional Atlantic salmon and that there is a reasonable certainty of no harm from the consumption of food from this animal."

But critics worry about the possible health effects of eating fish containing the growth hormone.

"It's impossible to talk about the risks other than saying they haven't been properly assessed, other than process has been rushed and we don't know," said Wenonah Hauter, executive director of Food and Water Watch. She added that the FDA is a "very stressed agency" with all the latest recalls and outbreaks, that it "can't ensure the safety of the foods they currently regulate."

Hauter said that the FDA has relied too heavily on information provided by AquAdvantage and that there should be a more extended time given to thoroughly vet and discuss risks.

A final decision is expected in a few weeks.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/09/20/genetic.engineered.salmon.hearing/?hpt=T2

nell67
09-20-2010, 08:46 AM
Just so you know,you eat genetically engineered chicken all the time,Tyson raises Cornish cross chickens,which are genetically engineered to be table ready at 5-7 pounds at only 6-8 weeks old,then there are the Perdue turkeys (whites) also genetically engineered to be table ready much sooner than their standard counterparts.

Justin Case
09-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Just so you know,you eat genetically engineered chicken all the time,Tyson raises Cornish cross chickens,which are genetically engineered to be table ready at 5-7 pounds at only 6-8 weeks old,then there are the Perdue turkeys (whites) also genetically engineered to be table ready much sooner than their standard counterparts.

Thats what I thought,, what do they mean by this statement ?

If approved it would be the first genetically modified animal permitted by the food safety agency.

nell67
09-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Thats what I thought,, what do they mean by this statement ?
It is a lie,LOL point blank

nell67
09-20-2010, 09:12 AM
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_chickens_genetically_engineered_or_selectively _breed

Justin Case
09-20-2010, 09:15 AM
It is a lie,LOL point blank

Hmm, I goggled "food Safety Agency" and couldn't find exactly that, I guess they mean this > http://www.fsis.usda.gov/

So now there is "another agency" besides the FDA,, (I guess :confused1: )

Justin Case
09-20-2010, 09:18 AM
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_chickens_genetically_engineered_or_selectively _breed

Both. Big Corporations like Tyson are getting scientists to genetically create chickens with larger breasts (for more versatile use in fast food).

Selective breeding is still the preferred way to increase quality and productivity.

, so does this mean the Genetic chickens are actually being sold to the public or are they in the testing phase ?

nell67
09-20-2010, 09:26 AM
, so does this mean the Genetic chickens are actually being sold to the public or are they in the testing phase ?

This IS what is being raised in their barns,and they are available to purchase as chicks from any number of hatcheries,these are the gigantic chickens that I butchered for a customer of the store I work at,and he had let them go until 12 week old,they were well over 10 lbs. at that age and the meat already starting to get tough.

THe average person thinking of raising these for egg production are complaining that the hens stroke when laying eggs,they are strictly a meat bird.

Justin Case
09-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Weird,, well then this could be bad news for the salmon egg industry :blush:

nell67
09-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Weird,, well then this could be bad news for the salmon egg industry :blush:
Not wierd,just one way companies are feeding more people,the faster they can raise an animal to slaughter weight,the faster it gets to the table,and the more they can raise per year.

The cost of raising most other breed of "meat" bird is nearly double the cost of raising these birds,they are actually keeping the prices down (ahem...) in the supermarket with these birds rather than raising other types.

And for those of us who prefer to raise our own,buying the chicks ($1.89) or getting them from an auction (.25-.50 each) is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying in the store,I can raise 10-15 of them to butcher weight on one-two bags of feed ($14 total) or pick up corn out of the farmers field and have it ground (pay only for grinding and any added minerals)

Now I don't pretend to know the cost of raising salmon,but thoeretically,G.E. SHOULD drive down the cost,making it more economical for everyone.

Justin Case
09-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Yes, "Interesting" would have been a better word, :)

ClayPick
09-24-2010, 10:16 AM
I don’t think the salmon thing will fly here, Bovine growth hormone hasn’t even made the milk supply yet. If it does fly I wonder where it will get farmed, there’s too much danger of it dumbing down the wild salmon stocks in the north atlantic. AquAdvantage is from away. The government here bankrolls all kinds of companies in the development stages and then takes its end ($$$$). Salmonella seems to be the trade off for high yields in the poultry industry. I wonder if the free rangers figure that “it’s a really poor chicken that can’t peck for itself”.:laugh:

nell67
09-24-2010, 10:22 AM
I don’t think the salmon thing will fly here, Bovine growth hormone hasn’t even made the milk supply yet. If it does fly I wonder where it will get farmed, there’s too much danger of it dumbing down the wild salmon stocks in the north atlantic. AquAdvantage is from away. The government here bankrolls all kinds of companies in the development stages and then takes its end ($$$$). Salmonella seems to be the trade off for high yields in the poultry industry. I wonder if the free rangers figure that “it’s a really poor chicken that can’t peck for itself”.:laugh:

Most salmonella seems to be linked to contaminated feed,or poor barn cleaning habits,I know the Tyson barns are "decaked"( a machine is used to loosen the compacted matter) after each pick up of chickens,but a full on clean out of barns are required only once per year,IF no problems are found in the birds when picked up.

roar-k
09-24-2010, 04:19 PM
I read it as the salmon is genetically altered. Meaning they have a way to change the genetic makeup of the salmon so it grows quicker. While chicken and turkey injected with growth hormones are not technically genetically altered.

Make sense? I hope it does, or else I am going crazy. It has been one of those weeks.