PDA

View Full Version : Dressing a deer

huntermj
09-19-2010, 07:40 PM
I have a question on dressing a deer. No i dont need to know how to get the fishnet stockings on one. ( i already know that)
When i took my hunters safety course a few years ago the instructor said he used the Alaskan method to dress a deer, that's what he called it,
He said if your not going to use the innards for anything there's no sense in removing the innards just skin it and take the meet off.
Anyone here know of this or what its really called as i cant find anything about an Alaskan method of dressing a deer.
And im not so sure about the ethics of not using everything. It dont seem right but i personally wouldnt be eating the sweet breads, just me.
And it sounds a lot easier and safer.

Ted
09-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Never heard of such a thing. I was told by a freind in medical school years ago that bacteria in the intestines of all animals sense the animal is dead and move to the meat to take up residence in what ever eats it. I just figured that why it is recomended by everyone and everything I learned to hunt from said to gut the animal soon as possible.

Batch
09-19-2010, 08:44 PM
If they aren't going to get good rib meat. Alot of folks down here strap and quarter animals.

NightShade
09-19-2010, 08:49 PM
I use as much as possible.... and like to hang the deer for a few days, temp. permitting.... I know people who do it that way... but I never would...

hunter63
09-19-2010, 08:54 PM
That's the way my SIL does it in Louisiana.
He doesn't like gutting stuff. Maybe the instructor doesn't either?
Maybe they pack out the meat?

Of course it's mostly pretty warm (hot), in La, so they hang it head up, skin it, cut out the back strap, then quarter it out.
Put in ice chest, let it soak a couple of days they cut and pack.

I had gutted mine out, last year, in La, as that's what I'm used to here in Wisconsin.
Was October, pretty warm, 70's, then he did the rest.

Seems to me a lot of waste, but I had 3 buck tags and 3 doe tags, and I was in their camp, soooooo.........

Elk, we quartered, too big to haul whole down the mountain, Colorado.
Antelope and Mulies, we gutted and dragged out, then hung, then cut up, Wyoming.

I guess it would depend on how big, and how far you have to go, and how warm or cold it is?????

NightShade
09-19-2010, 09:02 PM
I guess it would depend on how big, and how far you have to go, and how warm or cold it is?????

I think you hit it on the head right there.... I didn't even think of different Temps. in different areas.. and certainly understand not being able to drag an Elk a few miles in rough terrain..

SARKY
09-19-2010, 09:24 PM
WhiteTail & Tuxs????
With deer or should I say bucks, there are the leg glands to be careful of. I always remove the innards and don't forget to tie off the anus, you don't want your meat tainted.
removing the innards also allows the meat to cool faster.

kyratshooter
09-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Around here the hunting is in relitively civilized areas. Normally we can drive an ATV or pickup right up to the animal. Hunting preps include a cooler with ice. (Yep we are pretty sure of success most of the time.)

We gut them and throw them in the pickup and fill them up with ice.

Hunting season goes from last weekend (temp 90) to first of Feb (-0). Early deer get taken to processor or trimmed at the house and ground to burger. When it gets cool we hang them for a couple of weeks.

All depends on the temp.

DOGMAN
09-19-2010, 09:47 PM
you can cape an animal, then just complelty cut it in half length wise and bone out the halves, and never bother gutting, because your essentially rendering it right there on the spot...you leave the hide, bones, guts, vitals, etc..right there- you don't pack anything out on your back- except meat for the table...I've seen guys that are so fast doing that- that typical field dressing (gutting) would be a wasted step. This method is really good when you have a 900+ lbs animal that you want to get out from deep wilderness. Its amazing how heavy bones, hide, neck and head, and innards are.

rwc1969
09-19-2010, 10:01 PM
I really hope that ain't the Alaskan method, because if it is you are leaving the choicest part of the animal, albeit small, along with much more to rot.

You have to gut it!

Alaskan Survivalist
09-20-2010, 04:25 AM
It is gutted just later in the process after most of the meat is removed. Removed meat starts cooling faster and there is less chance of contamination. All that is left is the ribs and tender loans and the tender loans are worth going after. Not much deer hunting here since ours are so small.

your_comforting_company
09-20-2010, 05:08 AM
IMO the only reason to gut a deer is for the ribs and tenderloins. And I agree with AS they are worth going for. There is no "deep wilderness" here tho. I don't use the guts for anything, but I use pretty much all of the rest. Generally, we gut the animal, bury the guts, and take the whole animal out, depending on the temp. If it's below 40 degrees, We won't worry about it since we are only about an hour and a half from home (drag, boatride, then truck it home). If it's hot out (over 40), it is critical to gut it ASAP, especially if any guts got busted.

There's no way I'd leave a hide or head behind, but that's just me. I tan 'em.

If you don't want the ribs and tenderloins, you can pack the whole animal in a cooler in less than an hour, skinned, quartered, and remove the big bones. All that's left is the spine and ribs, guts, and tenderloins. I did a tutorial on skinning and quartering. Have you read that?
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9162

DOGMAN
09-20-2010, 11:18 AM
I really hope that ain't the Alaskan method, because if it is you are leaving the choicest part of the animal, albeit small, along with much more to rot.

You have to gut it!

you are actually gutting it....just from the outside in, and not in the "field dressing" style (reaching in to cavity)....You can still get absolutley every part of the animal, and take what you want. Also, you do it fast- your opening the animal and its immediatley cooling off.

This is not a new or lazy way to render an animal. I'd call it the "plains Indian style" its the most efficent way to handle a big animal- like a bison, or moose. You don't "gut" a bison like you do a deer- everything is too big. Also, your actually handling things with greater care- not "dragging out a carcass" ...your caring meat that is cooling during transport. You cant drag an elk, moose, or bison 20 miles. this is how you handle a large animal, when you have to pack it many miles back to a road yourself (no horse, or atv)

Also, in this part of the country- nothing will be left to rot..there are coyotes, bears, eagles, magpies, etc...that will leave no trace of anything

rwc1969
09-20-2010, 11:58 AM
That makes sense Dogman. I was under the assumption from the op that the inner loins and such were left.

DOGMAN
09-20-2010, 02:33 PM
That makes sense Dogman. I was under the assumption from the op that the inner loins and such were left.

Yeah, I can see the misunderstanding. I think this technique was developed by this question, "How can I process a dead buffalo, lying on its stomach, in a field by myself" the answer becomes obvious- if you think about it.

Ted
09-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Hummm, that does make sense DOGMAN ,and worthy of some rep in my book.

Here in IL the animal must be tagged and remain intact (other than feild dressed) till it's checked in, of course not many buff or moose around!

edr730
09-20-2010, 10:12 PM
I guess if you have no taste for aged meat,or don't know how, and you don't like anything but the muscle anyhow, then there's no reason to gut the animal. I've seen people do this sometimes, not taking the liver, heart, front legs or neck. It's fine with me. It's better than throwing it out of the freezer later. I just like it tenderized and flavored by aging and I enjoy the rest of the deer too.

DOGMAN
09-21-2010, 12:13 AM
here is a tutorial on this technique http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S-hbC5FADU
this guy does it differently than I do, however he mentions the methods I use...

i found tons of info on it under the "gutless method of field dressing"

huntermj
09-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks guys this has been really helpful and i'm going to look at the links tonight