PDA

View Full Version : blown bulb

kyratshooter
09-19-2010, 04:18 PM
:hammer:

I just installed a new range hood over the stove.

Ran new wiring, drilled now access holes, ran the new romex and hooked her up.

I put the light bulb (Know in our local as a litebub) turned on the switch.

NOTHING!

Unhook, rehook, check the connections again, get out the meter, everything works, screw the bulb in again, turn switch on.

NOTHING!:cursing:

First time I have wanted a cigarette in years!

I am about to start the whole thing over when I have the big thought.

BAD BULB!!!

I try another bulb and it works. The bulb had gone bad between time I tested it and when I screwed it into the socket!

:stupid:

At least I did not take half the house apart.

crashdive123
09-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Occam's razor.

Rick
09-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Indeed. Also known as KISS. Been there done that as they say.

hunter63
09-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Man, I hear ya, LOL.
Just because it's new or worked last time....doesn't mean it's still good.

In school for HVAC-R, finial exam, wiring and wire diagramming.

Had a list of things that needed to happen. (light, compressor, fan etc.)
Draw a working diagram.
Wire it up, make sure everything works.
Could ask questions, but each question cost you 5 points.
Completed, one circuit didn't work, checked and re-checked it, nothing.

Instructor asked me, "Do you want to ask a question?"
I said , "No"
Then he said, "Can I ask you one?"
Said "Sure".

Then he says, "So you got all those components right out of the box,....new, right?"
I said, "Yeah"....Then was wondering why he would ask me that?

Turned out he had planted "bad" components on the shelf,........Just to teach us this lesson.

Same class, same exam, another guy had the same problem, instructor asked the guy what he thought was the problem......
Pointed to the spot, on the wire before the non-working component, and said serious as heck, "I think the electricity is "stuck" right here".

Then again, some things are just a "Mystery".

kyratshooter
09-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Stuck electricity huh?

You have to be careful with that stuff, no telling where it was before it came to your house!

I have gotten bad car parts straight from the parts house too. You can't trust anything any more.

I spent the whole weekend hanging kitchen cabinets. The range hood was the last operation in the secquence. At least I found the problem relitively quickly, fixed it with a simple bulb change and can unpack some dishes.

Justin Case
09-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Stuck electricity huh?

You have to be careful with that stuff, no telling where it was before it came to your house!

I have gotten bad car parts straight from the parts house too. You can't trust anything any more.

I spent the whole weekend hanging kitchen cabinets. The range hood was the last operation in the secquence. At least I found the problem relitively quickly, fixed it with a simple bulb change and can unpack some dishes.

Me too,, "After" putting a rebuilt starter on my 75 Ramcharger (which took a LOOOONG time because of headers in the way) I found it didnt work ! Always TEST ! new car part motto , :)

Rick
09-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Yeah, similar problem with a wagon wheel. Many a blacksmith will set a tire without marking it. Next thing you know, you're staring at a loose bead. Either that or it winds up fellow bound or you have loose spokes in the tenon. I don't know why these modern fellahs take so many shortcuts. You can't rely on nothin' in this day and age.