PDA

View Full Version : Another Knife TANG & Modification Question.

Sourdough
09-19-2010, 02:12 PM
http://www.chestnutridgeknifeshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=51&products_id=935

#1) Would the tang "Most Likely" extend to the lanyard hole...or not...????

#2) If I removed the sharp edge down say 1/8" to 3/16" for a distance of say 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" forward of the handle (the back part of the blade) Would it be best to remover the handle material and cast a new epoxy handle....? or is there a good way to build that part up.....? Note: I would be at some point removing about 2" off the butt of the knife.

The objective being to create a short chopper with a 8" blade.

crashdive123
09-19-2010, 02:33 PM
For #1 - yes, probably. For #2 I'm not clear on what you are asking. Are you wanting to "dull" the last inch and a half or so that is closest to the handle and remove metal until you get it to the thickness you want?

Sourdough
09-19-2010, 03:06 PM
For #1 - yes, probably. For #2 I'm not clear on what you are asking. Are you wanting to "dull" the last inch and a half or so that is closest to the handle and remove metal until you get it to the thickness you want?

Well, yes kind of. I want to move the handle 2" forward, there by reducing the blade from 9 1/2" to 7 3/4" and cut 2" off the very back of the handle. Note: these are rough measurements

crashdive123
09-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Have you looked at the Ka-Bar Pot Belly? It is closer to the size you want I think. I handled one today at a gun show - they wouldn't budge on price, and wanted too much. I really liked the way it felt. I know I'll get one eventually. http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Adventure-Belly-Polyester-Sheath/dp/B0039B9GWU

Sourdough
09-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Have you looked at the Ka-Bar Pot Belly? It is closer to the size you want I think. I handled one today at a gun show - they wouldn't budge on price, and wanted too much. I really liked the way it felt. I know I'll get one eventually. http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Adventure-Belly-Polyester-Sheath/dp/B0039B9GWU

That is the Idea. I just like to modify things. Even if I end up destroying them in the process. It is just something to do. I see this "TOOL" as mostly a chopper, a short chopper. I have never held the Bot-Belly, How did it feel to you as a chopper.....?

crashdive123
09-19-2010, 03:29 PM
It felt comfortable in my hand. The handle was micarta, and the edges were a little sharp. It indexed well in my hand, but as a chopper I would probably round the edges of the handle just a little. Not sure if it is heavy enough to get through your Alder he!! - I've never chopped through the stuff.

rebel
09-19-2010, 03:51 PM
You could weld a bigger piece of steel to the tang and then shape it for your handle.

kyratshooter
09-19-2010, 04:09 PM
SD it looks to me like if you grind down the edge and reshape the blade/tang you are going to have your weakest point right at the union of handle and blade.

That is right where I would not want it in a chopping tool. You will still have a grind angle visible as part of the tang.

Reworking the grip would be a simple removal of the rubber grip, a lick with the chop saw and several tubes of epoxey.

Rick
09-19-2010, 05:13 PM
If you did that why not leave the extended tang and give it a chisel end? You could use it for prying or digging and for your fire steel. That would save your blade all around.

Sourdough
09-19-2010, 06:31 PM
SD it looks to me like if you grind down the edge and reshape the blade/tang you are going to have your weakest point right at the union of handle and blade.

That is right where I would not want it in a chopping tool. You will still have a grind angle visible as part of the tang.

Reworking the grip would be a simple removal of the rubber grip, a lick with the chop saw and several tubes of epoxey.

No......I would NOT take the blade down to the size of the tang. I would only take the sharp cutting edge off the last 1 3/4" of the blade, maybe take it down .090 or .125 just enough to be safe.

Sourdough
09-19-2010, 06:32 PM
If you did that why not leave the extended tang and give it a chisel end? You could use it for prying or digging and for your fire steel. That would save your blade all around.

Yes, that is a good idea.

Rick
09-19-2010, 07:45 PM
I suppose you could even cut a bottle opener notch in it. At least that way you'll have a weapon when the attack geese have drunk too much.

rebel
09-19-2010, 07:53 PM
have the key guy grind your car key in the end.

Rick
09-19-2010, 07:56 PM
"Hold it right there. What are you doing?"
"Unlocking my car, officer."
"Right. Were you going to bust out the window?"
"No, it's my key. Really."
"Up against the car and spread 'em."

rebel
09-19-2010, 08:44 PM
"Hold it right there. What are you doing?"
"Unlocking my car, officer."
"Right. Were you going to bust out the window?"
"No, it's my key. Really."
"Up against the car and spread 'em."

Two days latter and my thumb is still throbbing...I get grumpy.

rebel
09-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Two days latter and my thumb is still throbbing...I get grumpy.

Well, not really grumpy. That dang thumb, ...!

p moore
09-20-2010, 09:14 AM
I do want to see this creation when you finish it.

Paul