PDA

View Full Version : So you think you are prepared for everything?

hunter63
09-17-2010, 01:12 PM
This might sound like an isolated scenario, but just when you think you have your bases covered....it's always something.

Last trip out to "The Place", received word the my Aunt had passed away at age 98.

Not unexpected, she had been saying she was ready, but bad timing, (There never is good timing).

So of all the gear, stores, preps and such......No suit/dress shirt/shoes/even a dark belt.

So off to china-mart, rather than returning home, 200 miles in the wrong direction, to cut trip short or even to pick up wedding/wake duds.

Not your typical SHTF, but caught me unprepared!

So how many of y'all have this covered? Or what would you have done?

doug1980
09-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Actually I just thought about this the other day. I have no suit at all. Even my Air Force Blues don't fit now. However if, god forbid, a family memeber dies on my side or the wifes side we have no way to even get there. Our CC are maxed out and we have no savings. We have not prepared for our finacial survival yet and I fear it will be too late when we do.

Alaskan Survivalist
09-17-2010, 01:28 PM
So far we have always buried our dead in my family. Can't realy say it is any cheaper because what we don't spend on clothing and flowers we spend on whiskey.

tsitenha
09-17-2010, 01:33 PM
A friend of mine died years ago, they put a suit on him for about 30 minutes just was not him, so off the suit on with the jeans and flannel shirt and his red ball cap. We all wore what we had best wake ever.

Sourdough
09-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Damn Doug, All you need is a new CC and your wealthy. It works for the Cities, It works for the States, It works for the the Federal Government. Debt is wealth.

Sourdough
09-17-2010, 01:39 PM
we spend on whiskey.

A fine Alaska funeral, quick service, and then head to the Elk's Club.

doug1980
09-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Damn Doug, All you need is a new CC and your wealthy. It works for the Cities, It works for the States, It works for the the Federal Government. Debt is wealth.

They live in a false reality where anything goes. Debt is debt to me. What I need to work on is how I view wealth, which I am trying to do.

Aurelius95
09-17-2010, 02:08 PM
I think SD was being sarcastic! But, the government is certainly no role model on how to handle your finances! IMO, wear what you can. If you have to buy something "Nice", then make sure it's something you will want to wear again. Not necessarily a suit and tie.

Rick
09-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Hunter - First, my condolences on the loss of your aunt. 98 is a fine long life but we're never ready to say good-by whatever the age. So, my condolences on your loss.

I think it noble of you to want to wear your best to pay your respects. If a person is able to do so then buying attire is fine. If a person can't afford to purchase clothes under those conditions then I think showing up dressed as well as you can would be understandable for those that are there. I think your aunt would be happy you came no matter how you were dressed.

roar-k
09-17-2010, 03:40 PM
I cannot afford well made suits, so I check the Goodwill for suits from Men's Warehouse. If I find one that's relatively close I buy it and then I can go and get it sized to fit me for free.

It's an option for those of you that cannot afford tailor made suits, but what a decent one for those occasions.

your_comforting_company
09-17-2010, 03:51 PM
'round here if you show up in a suit, we think you are either a travelling salesman, or a Jehovah's witness.

I have one pair of slacks. everything else is bluejeans for work. All my dress shirts wound up being cover for summer jobs. I have one or two nice t-shirts.
We show up in the nicest stuff we have, but we dont' go to any extra expense. The last time I wore a suit, I got married, and I have no intentions of being in one ever again. Take me as I come or tell me to leave.
We are a pretty accepting bunch of rednecks and we understand that everybody just doesn't have "nice things". It's not like the person who has passed would have cared anyway, they'd have been happy to see me just as they normally would.

It's covered for myself, because I want to be cremated and my ashes put in Spring Creek, the closest place on earth to heaven. Everybody better show up to my wake wearing swimming trunks.

pretty much what rick said. It's not a place to try to impress anyone, it's a time to say your goodbyes.
My condolences as well, my friend. 98 years is a long time to walk this earth.

Justin Case
09-17-2010, 04:03 PM
I don't do Funerals,,,

hunter63
09-17-2010, 06:10 PM
I under stand that lots people dress to impress, that's not me, by any means.
In this case, I felt it was important.
She was a "proper lady" as well as a WWII Vet, last remaining relative of her generation, so I felt that proper attire was called for, for me not anyone else.

Her Legion post provided full Military Honors/Color Guard.

It just struck me that when you think you have your bases covered, you don't.........

SARKY
09-17-2010, 06:16 PM
I don't do funerals! This will include my own. I am to be freeze dried, then thumped to a fine not quite ash. Then the party begins with lots of spirits and tall tales. Finally my remains are rototilled into my garden, where I can at least do some good.
Hows that for recycling?

Sourdough
09-17-2010, 06:47 PM
I am scheduled to be ground up and mixed in with McDonald's Big MAC sandwich burger meat..........

crashdive123
09-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Sorry for your loss H63.

Rick
09-17-2010, 07:44 PM
I am scheduled to be ground up and mixed in with McDonald's Big MAC sandwich burger meat..........

That way everyone can just bite your a........

That right there is funny I don't care who you are.

your_comforting_company
09-17-2010, 08:23 PM
.. a manwich meal.. har har

Batch
09-17-2010, 11:09 PM
I don't do suits. My dress is jeans or black dockers, a nice shirt and cowboy boots.

Camp10
09-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Not prepared at all for this sort of SHTF. I do own a suit though. It is covered in dust and hanging between the wall and the gunsafe. I last wore it at my fathers funeral 11 years ago. I hope I never have to wear it again.

Rick
09-18-2010, 08:04 AM
What's everyone's problem with suits? It's just fabric for cryin' out loud. I'll bet your significant other would be happy to see a silk purse instead of a sow's ear every once in a while. I'll bet you're sittin' there typin' in your torn boxers. If you are, I don't really want to know. Seriously, I don't want to know.