PDA

View Full Version : Bed Bugs !

Justin Case
09-15-2010, 04:30 PM
I am sure you have all heard about the bed bug epidemic, Do you know how to Protect your Home ? I am sure Crash could chime in,
and here is some info ,

Beware of the bedbug: The parasites are making a comeback
Insects have developed resistance to pesticides.
Posted: September 13, 2010 - 4:29pm

http://jacksonville.com/news/health-and-fitness/2010-09-13/story/beware-bedbug-tiny-parasitic-insects-are-making-unwanted

:eek2: :w00t:

canid
09-15-2010, 04:49 PM
you know what they haven't developed risistance to [and can't]? co2 and sticky-traps.

koldriana
09-16-2010, 08:15 AM
I lived in a place back in 2006 that got infested because someone had brought in a piece of furniture from the trash. It was the most horrible thing ever! It's just a total mind mess and it took me YEARS to be able to sleep comfortably in a bed without feeling something crawling on me.

Best things to do to keep yourself safe if you have a house and not an apartment - unfortunately if you live in a complex with other people your pretty well hosed if they get in the building because eventually they will spread unless the entire complex is treated at the same time (which never happens).

If you go on trips:

Check the bedding if staying in a hotel
Keep your suitcase off the floor and whatever you do DON'T put it on a bed.
Keep a big plastic bag in your car that will be able to fit your suitcase/bags and when you get home immediately enclose all your bags in plastic.
Before entering your home make sure you brush yourself off to hopefully catch anything that hitched a ride back with you.
Wash ALL your clothes from your suitcases in HOT (120 degree) water and leave your suitcases outside for at least 2 weeks (keep them in the plastic)

When you buy clothing (ANY Clothing not just second hand - There have been reports of bedbugs in chain department stores)

Keep all clothing in the plastic bag while removing tags etc.
Immediately wash anything you bought in HOT water.
If you are going to keep the bags make sure you immerse them / wash them also.

At home:

Try to limit the amount of carpeting in your house (hardwood floors are best)
Wash your bedding at least weekly in HOT water
Use a plastic mattress cover on all your beds (the bugs can't hide in plastic)
Vacuum your bed weekly using a crevice tool to get between the mattress covers
Inspect your bed regularly by completely removing the mattress and checking under the box springs etc.
Do not keep your bed touching your curtains (the bugs can hide in them)
If you drop bedding / pillows on the floor and they are left for over 1 day best to wash them in HOT water before putting them back on your bed.
Clean Clean Clean, eliminate clutter and places for bugs to hide.

They say by the time you 'see' a bug there are probably thousands that you don't see. They are incredibly hard to find and eliminate without help - call a professional if you have a problem.

I ended up throwing out my bed, mattress and everything. I lived out of big plastic bags for almost a year because I couldn't afford to move out. My furniture was basically piled in the middle of all the rooms away from the walls and I slept on my leather sofa every night because I couldn't stand the thought of buying another bed and bringing it into that place. I didn't have a bed after that for almost 3 years. I finally moved across the country and kept all my things in storage for almost 2 years before I had a place to put things again so thankfully any bugs that managed to hitch a ride were dead by then. I wouldn't wish bedbugs on anyone.

Justin Case
09-16-2010, 08:26 AM
I lived in a place back in 2006 that got infested because someone had brought in a piece of furniture from the trash. It was the most horrible thing ever! It's just a total mind mess and it took me YEARS to be able to sleep comfortably in a bed without feeling something crawling on me.

Best things to do to keep yourself safe if you have a house and not an apartment - unfortunately if you live in a complex with other people your pretty well hosed if they get in the building because eventually they will spread unless the entire complex is treated at the same time (which never happens).

If you go on trips:

Check the bedding if staying in a hotel
Keep your suitcase off the floor and whatever you do DON'T put it on a bed.
Keep a big plastic bag in your car that will be able to fit your suitcase/bags and when you get home immediately enclose all your bags in plastic.
Before entering your home make sure you brush yourself off to hopefully catch anything that hitched a ride back with you.
Wash ALL your clothes from your suitcases in HOT (120 degree) water and leave your suitcases outside for at least 2 weeks (keep them in the plastic)

When you buy clothing (ANY Clothing not just second hand - There have been reports of bedbugs in chain department stores)

Keep all clothing in the plastic bag while removing tags etc.
Immediately wash anything you bought in HOT water.
If you are going to keep the bags make sure you immerse them / wash them also.

At home:

Try to limit the amount of carpeting in your house (hardwood floors are best)
Wash your bedding at least weekly in HOT water
Use a plastic mattress cover on all your beds (the bugs can't hide in plastic)
Vacuum your bed weekly using a crevice tool to get between the mattress covers
Inspect your bed regularly by completely removing the mattress and checking under the box springs etc.
Do not keep your bed touching your curtains (the bugs can hide in them)
If you drop bedding / pillows on the floor and they are left for over 1 day best to wash them in HOT water before putting them back on your bed.
Clean Clean Clean, eliminate clutter and places for bugs to hide.

They say by the time you 'see' a bug there are probably thousands that you don't see. They are incredibly hard to find and eliminate without help - call a professional if you have a problem.

I ended up throwing out my bed, mattress and everything. I lived out of big plastic bags for almost a year because I couldn't afford to move out. My furniture was basically piled in the middle of all the rooms away from the walls and I slept on my leather sofa every night because I couldn't stand the thought of buying another bed and bringing it into that place. I didn't have a bed after that for almost 3 years. I finally moved across the country and kept all my things in storage for almost 2 years before I had a place to put things again so thankfully any bugs that managed to hitch a ride were dead by then. I wouldn't wish bedbugs on anyone.

Good Post, Thank you, rep sent ;)

rwc1969
09-16-2010, 01:13 PM
I hear bed bugs can live a very long time without food.

Justin Case
09-16-2010, 01:32 PM
I hear bed bugs can live a very long time without food.

Over a year,,, according to a special i seen on tv,,

koldriana
09-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Yes, at least a year if they are in a temperate climate.

I live in Canada so being out doors in the middle of winter in my plastic bagged suitcase for a couple of weeks was good. I suppose if you had a big enough freezer (or oven) that would work too as they can't last long in extreme cold or heat conditions.