PDA

View Full Version : Banned Food: From the Strictly Controlled to the Downright Illegal

Justin Case
09-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Just because it's edible doesn't mean it's legal. There are some foods that federal and state governments ban or severely restrict because of health concerns, to preserve a species, or even in response to inhumane preparation methods. Check out some dishes and ingredients currently banned in the U.S., plus some recently made legal.

Continued @ > http://www.delish.com/food-fun/banned-food?GT1=47001

your_comforting_company
09-13-2010, 05:20 PM
I agree there are some things that should be protected. People are greedy and will take and take till there is nothing left. I don't wanna get on my soapbox here, but I'm glad some of that stuff is banned. Neat link.

canid
09-14-2010, 03:39 PM
bitter almonds are perfectly safe for most people if eaten appropriately, but they can't be grown in, imported into or sold for food in the US, due to the risk of the formation of hydrogen cyanide from amygdalin by certain bacteria occsaionally present in the small intestine yet kirshwasser contains [i believe] more amygdalin than raw bitter almonds and is legal for import and sale.

AirborneEagles
09-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Yes, its a long debate over foods and the FDA. If they had their wish they would take all vitamins off the counter since it benefits health (depending on the brands since some vitamins are made so crappy the don't do anything and those made in China have contaminants in them.)

Even Apricot seeds which also have a high amygdalin ability has been banned in some States from being sold across borders (but you can ship and buy whole apricots and just take the seeds out..go figure) or even sold within the State in the plain seed form. Crazy as it seems. The main reason is because the pharmacy companies cannot patent food or sell it as a cure and make money. So if people can be healed from natural foods, which has been done for hundreds of thousands of years, then it takes away the money from the pharmacy companies. Just a reminder of how things work. haha

Other things can be bought in the seed form and grown in your own greenhouse or home. (For those things that are still for sale to home growers and gardeners for their own health.)

Ken
01-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Funny, but Absinthe is still on that list. It's legal here ow. I actually wasted $49.00 on a bottle of that foul tasting venom last summer. I had read about the stuff for years, and bought it out of curiosity at a local liquor store when I saw it on the shelf for the first time ever. Mistake. Bad mistake.

BENESSE
01-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Ken, try it over vanilla ice cream. Delish!

Ken
01-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Ken, try it over vanilla ice cream. Delish!

Okay, I will!

BENESSE
01-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Ken, try Chartreuse Green if you haven't already. (YCC & Grrlscout might enjoy it too) I think it's a magic potion and it's provenance is what legends are made of:

"Produced by the Carthusian Fathers (monks), the Chartreuse recipe dates back to 1605. The recipe remains a closely-guarded secret; only three of the brothers know the names of the 130 plants and how to blend and distill them. They are also the only ones who know which plants must be macerated to produce the distinctive colour. They alone supervise the slow aging in oak casks over several years. The monks maintain a simple, prayer-filled life in their ancient monastery. As they have done for centuries, they appoint three brothers who are charged with producing the Chartreuse and keeping the recipe secret, until it is time to pass it on to other brothers."
Tasting notes: Exotic and unusual, this is a unique beverage. Intense perfumed aromas of juniper, pine and herbs. Taste is complex and somewhat spicy.
Also: This is the only green liqueur in the world with a completely natural colour. The colour is derived from the plants and herbs in the recipe, with no additives or artificial colour. The mixture ages for several years in oak casks.

http://www.wittyswine.com/sku22520.html?utm_source=Google%20Products&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=CHARTREUSE%20GREEN%20110@

Ken
01-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Ken, try Chartreuse Green if you haven't already.

Anything like Jägermeister? Oooow, "Toxic Jelly Beans." A shot of Jäger and a shot of Black Sambuca. Shake over ice, strain, and down it goes!

your_comforting_company
01-21-2011, 06:06 AM
I am not sure today's absinthe is the same as it was "back in the day".
I'm pretty sure it used to have hallucinogenic qualities, but I draw that assumption from this book:
http://www.oxygenee.com/Crowley-Green-Goddess.pdf

Crowley was quite philosophical and I own a few of his books. I thought it might fit the conversation.
I do own the paperback version of this book.

Chris
01-21-2011, 08:52 AM
So that explains why we can't get mangosteens... those things are tasty, you can buy the juice though I know (expensive, but good).

Winnie
01-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Green Chartreuse = 50/50 menthol mouthwash and pine disinfectant, with a dash of PVA glue as a thickener. Bleughhh! Absinthe is nice, though.