PDA

View Full Version : Question about Striped Bass

letslearntogether47
09-13-2010, 07:59 AM
What's the best way to rig a bait hook for shore fishing?I was down in Westport MA. this weekend and spent most of my time using poppers and other lures along the shore at dusk.But after so many cast my arm feels like it's going to fall off.And didn't have any bites.Mostly catch blue fish when they're running.
Any info or websites that give advice would be great.

Justin Case
09-13-2010, 08:11 AM
We use anchovies in The Colorado river.

NightShade
09-13-2010, 01:34 PM
I use a hi-lo rig... 2 hooks.... 1 above the other.. At least a foot... (hence the name). Then a weight at the bottom... Think weight on bottom 1 foot up a hook.. 1 more foot up another hook... Depending where I am I use either sand eels or chunk mackarel/herring.... You can buy a hi-lo rig from most saltwater bait shops.. At least down the cape.
The rigs are easy enough to make but if you have never used 1 before just buy a couple to get the idea.. They are pretty cheap.
Good luck!

letslearntogether47
09-13-2010, 03:28 PM
I use a hi-lo rig... 2 hooks.... 1 above the other.. At least a foot... (hence the name). Then a weight at the bottom... Think weight on bottom 1 foot up a hook.. 1 more foot up another hook... Depending where I am I use either sand eels or chunk mackarel/herring.... You can buy a hi-lo rig from most saltwater bait shops.. At least down the cape.
The rigs are easy enough to make but if you have never used 1 before just buy a couple to get the idea.. They are pretty cheap.
Good luck!

Thanks N.S.
I was just reading up on eels and how to hook them.Seems they're a favorite in some areas.I have a rig that has a triangle weight and a leader with a floating bright orange styro float.I would guess this is to set the bait just off the bottom.Where would you put the second hook in the eel?

NightShade
09-13-2010, 03:42 PM
1 eel each hook... That is why they are spaced so far apart... Sorry .. I should have mentioed that.

letslearntogether47
09-13-2010, 04:04 PM
1 eel each hook... That is why they are spaced so far apart... Sorry .. I should have mentioed that.

Ok,that makes sense.
Seems like it might be a bit of a task to cast it out.But from what I heard about night fishing you should try for the third breaker.So that doesn't seem like that far to chuck it out there.I've caught a few nice sized blues on a popper lure in the past.Just want to get a striped bass for once.

LowKey
09-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Westport's on the Cape?
Depends on where you go down the cape. Herring and mackerel are good for the Bay side. On the outer cape you want to be using Pogies either live-lined or chunked. Live Eels, sand Eels, and SandWorms (fresh not frozen) are good either side depending on what's out there at the moment. I have to admit never catching a striper on clams though some people swear by those too.

I bring two poles and an assortment of hooks. If the pogies are running I'll catch one of those to live-line on the second pole. Otherwise, one is always chunk bait while the other I might cast some plugs or just chunk it too and sit on the beach and enjoy the sunrise.

For striper I usually fish chunk pogies on a very large single hook, usually a circle hook, with a slider weight. The leader should be clear mono for more hits. They are shy fish, although I've caught them on bluefish wire. I usually hand tie a 4' long 50lb leader so if a blue does take it, I can land it without it chewing through, most times. Stopped using the Hi-Lo many many seasons ago. If the crabs start eating the bait, there are no fish so consider it's time to move. The large hook stops schoolies from swallowing it and dying undersized. The circle hook prevents a gut hook in a smaller than keeper larger fish. They usually do catch the lip as advertised.

When I fish for striper I want something to eat. I don't like catching them for sport cuz they are fragile fish that can die too easily once the fight goes out of them. Never drag one out onto the sand unless you know for certain it is a keeper and you are going to keep it.

I've also found lately that the outgoing tide in the wee hours of the morning is better than incomings or highs. Water's still a little too warm for striper in the surf. Soon though.

I had a friend over in the UK rustle up some Red Gills for me. All kinds of colors and sizes. Haven't tried them yet....

NightShade
09-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Lowkey brings up a good point... if you are in a crabby area, fishin with a hi-lo rig will have you re-baiting a hook often.
I too know a few people who swear by clams, as well as squid... But have had very little luck...

Also.. I don't know how bad the seals are in westport.... But when I see a lot of seals swimming around I pack it up and head to another beach.... Ever had a seal bite the belly out of a fish you had on the line? Trust me, it will not be an enjoyable experience!

LowKey
09-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Thought I had the biggest fish of my life and it was a seal stealing my live pogie!. Luckily the hook ripped outta the pogie and wasn't attached the seal. It surfaced a ways out with that pogie in it's teeth, just laughin'.....
What I wouldn't give to see a shark take out a seal or two... That would make my morning.

LowKey
09-13-2010, 08:36 PM
The thing I never have luck with is fluke. I cannot seem to catch them.

NightShade
09-13-2010, 08:49 PM
I've had luck with fluke jigs off a boat... Too much work for this guy... I thoroughly enjoy sittin back and relaxin with bait on the shore... Only time I caught fluke surf casting was complete luck... but I never really bother fishin for much other than stripers... I'll keep a blue if I hadn't any luck with the bass... But it's striper's I'm targeting saltwater..

LowKey
09-13-2010, 09:08 PM
I hear ya on the relaxing. For me that's what fishing is for.

I'm the only one here that will eat Striper. Silly huh? So two large fish a year last me just fine. I let the other ones go. Everyone likes bluefish though. Excellent on the BBQ in various fashions. Those don't usually make it to the freezer.

letslearntogether47
09-14-2010, 07:42 AM
No,Westport is down on the South coast.
Do you guys do most of your fishing at night,early morning?

LowKey
09-14-2010, 09:51 PM
I did night fishing when I first started surf casting. Of course you have to try it if you've read D'Agnault's books. But not so much any more.
Now I usually watch the tides and hit the beach just before the crack o dawn.
Quit around noon time for lunch and a siesta, then go back out for the evening tide until the bugs get to be too much. It's a long drive for me to get to the Cape so I make a long day of it.

ClayPick
09-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Where i fish the best luck for bass is at night. We get a really high tide and you can only fish on slack water and a little while on either side. Best bait seems to be squid.