PDA

View Full Version : Fanny Bag / mini bug out bag till you reach your other supplies

AirborneEagles
09-12-2010, 10:00 PM
I thought about what if I am riding with someone else to go somewhere. Not exactly the situation I would be throwing my bug out bag into their vehicle, so I may just want to go small and have a few things on hand so I can hike back to my vehicle or my home and at least I wouldn't have such a burden of the weight and can travel faster.

So I designed a small fanny bag with some small essentials to carry me through a night or several hours till I reach my vehicle or home, depending on how far I end up from home. Either way, it would work, even it took a day and most of the night.

This is what I came up with:

A fanny pack (standard size).
Inside I would have 2 protein health bars (organic). Chocolate of course.
(These I can ration and nibble on as I walk for energy if I get hungry.)

About 10 feet of parachute cord. (In case I find other goodies or have to make some quick snow shoes.)

A mini mag flash light (LED), with a pack of two AAA batteries. Helps with night time walking, each battery will last for hours.

Little box of water proof matches. (In case I cross a creek and have to start a fire to warm up, or just need warmth during a break from walking.)

My little .22 pistol with an extra 2 clips. (Fits in your palm size.)

One 3 inch candle. (If its winter, good to have an alternative heat source along.) A quick warm up during a break helps keep the energy up.

Garbage bag (construction size all rolled up tight and small with rubber band around it.) Uses range from heat, staying dry, to collecting water or filtration.

Space emergency blanket. (Small size.) Can be used to sleep in, etc.

Small pack of chewing gum. (When I can't smoke, I chew gum. Walking long distances and smoking just sucks.)

And on top is my medium sized water bottle tied to the fanny pack with more parachute cord.

I always carry a pocket knife, so there is no need for a knife in the fanny pack. Gum, well its a thing I might forget to put in my pants pocket, so its good to have an extra in the bag. I also have my lighter in my pocket, but when its wet the water proof matches come in handy.

It is a tight fit into the fanny pack, but easy to throw in a friends car and take anywhere I go. That works for me. Usually what I can even take while hiking and its simple to throw together. Each item has several uses.

What would you take in a fanny pack? Is it something you would use?
Or how many of you throw your bug out bag in a friends car going out on a Friday night?

The question is, when something happens, what do you have on you that can help you when you are out with others without your car?

Great for any disaster or event that may take place and you at least have something with you that can help you.

Always be prepared doesn't mean some of the time, I say.

RangerXanatos
09-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Usually just what is on me normally.

On my keychain now:
Keys
can-opener
laser pointer
led light

Pockets:
2 knives
bic lighter
cell phone
wallet
condom
comb
firesteel (sometimes, lost the one I did carry and the others are burdensome)

Other:
paracord bracelet
paracord knockoff necklace
Analog/Digital watch

If I'm in my car, I have all the gear I would need to go camping comfortably for a couple of days. If I'm riding with someone else like you mentioned, that all I carry. I know the places that we usually go to and know people in the area. I would be able to just call someone to get me if need be.

doug1980
09-12-2010, 10:37 PM
I can't remember the last I went in someone else's car. Only people I hang out with is my wife and kids. So I really wouldn't need to worry about not having my stuff. I do have an EDC bag that I carry everywhere. It's a tactical messenger bag because I just can't bring myself to wear a fanny pack. Even though mine looks like a purse. :)

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo3/speedracer1565/DSC01250.jpg

pgvoutdoors
09-13-2010, 01:39 AM
I use the Mountainsmith "Day" lumbar pack. I've added the optional "Strapette" shoulder straps (not the single strap that comes with it), it make a big difference with heavier loads. This lumbar pack has a large capacity and is very durable and well built. I highly recommended it.

Mountainsmith: http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?productId=22&categoryId=42&subCategoryId=0&subCategory2Id=0

AirborneEagles
09-13-2010, 03:43 AM
That is true, if I am with someone I know is also prepared and has a bug out bag in their car, I really don't worry about taking mine. However, I really should and start throwing my fanny bag in their vehicle just in case we end up somewhere where I may have to try and make it home after a large earthquake. After all, when the bridges are out and there is no way to make it home unless some truck is on the other side of the bridge I can hitch a ride with then perhaps that will work. However, I cannot depend on others and always need to depend on myself to get through, as in any crisis where the others are going for their homes and you are going to yours.

Reasons why each should depend on themselves to take care of their own families or themselves is when a crisis happens, you may be in an area your friends are in the collapsed building (knowing they are most likely gone unless they crawl out of the rubble), then either way if their car is still not under the rubble you have something to work with, help others if need be and still have something to make it home. Even I have to keep reminding myself I need to not depend on someone else's ruck sack to make life easier in any disaster.

In any other crisis, having a place you get to get to if you know the people there is helpful, then again, sometimes we end up places we don't know the people (in the next two towns over) for some reason or another and anything can happen. Its for that "Just in case" situation. Remember, remember the 5th of November and don't forget the fanny bag. haha. One way I won't forget. =)

Knowing we are just as vulnerable to earthquakes or other natural disasters or any other type of crisis like any other place, its just we have to expect those things and expect to be on foot walking home.

If need be, I can live off pine needles and pine nuts and water from the river (which there are many here) till I get home. However, I like to think I will not make it harder on myself when I have the opportunity to prepare and have a few things to make that moment or hours a little easier on myself.

If you can take a bag with you, that is one step ahead in the game and you are planning ahead. Every bit helps. I like those bags and lumbar bags too. Easy to throw in the back seat and have on hand.

Glad to see others are way ahead in planning.

Alaskan Survivalist
09-13-2010, 09:50 AM
I always found myself loading fanny packs so heavy they are uncomfortable to carry, then I began making suspenders and spreading weight to suspenders and around belt. Big improvement but I have had to make them myself to get satisfactory results.

Aurelius95
09-13-2010, 11:55 AM
I use the Mountainsmith "Day" lumbar pack. I've added the optional "Strapette" shoulder straps (not the single strap that comes with it), it make a big difference with heavier loads. This lumbar pack has a large capacity and is very durable and well built. I highly recommended it.

Mountainsmith: http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?productId=22&categoryId=42&subCategoryId=0&subCategory2Id=0

$80 is a bit steep. I've looked at these bags previously. I like them, especially with the shoulder straps. I have found them on sale at REI from time to time.

roar-k
09-13-2010, 01:01 PM
$80 is a bit steep. I've looked at these bags previously. I like them, especially with the shoulder straps. I have found them on sale at REI from time to time.

I am thinking of getting the Koala or Tailgunner from Kifaru. Each have their pro's and con's.

hunter63
09-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Over the years my "kit" has started with a plastic cigarette box (or Atroids can) with basic stuff, to belt bags to fanny packs, to shoulder packs, to full blown back packs (current Med "Alice").

Seems that when you get to the point that it's getting good (too much, ...read, heavy)
I start over.
Still have the other packs, deployed in various vechicals, locations etc.

Currently back up to fanny pack, and looking at the shoulder "messenger" bag now, seems to be a process, not an "end"?

I do like the idea of the "take along when riding with some one else" bag......Hummmmmm
Thanks ABE........

Rick
09-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Hunter - What on earth are we going to do when we reach the point that we just know we have to carry an M4 and hire a bunch of porters to carry all our stuff when going to the mall? "It's a process, not an end." Man is that ever true. I just don't have any idea where the process is taking me. (shaking head)

My trip to the mall last week-end....

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/121/272123420_6d1c4ae639.jpg

hunter63
09-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Tell me about it........most recent "porters"
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF0119.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF0105.jpg

Do really like the "carry along when you go with someone else", bag.

AirborneEagles
09-14-2010, 06:34 PM
It can seem overwhelming having a bag and plan for everything, but keeping it simple is my objective. One bug out bag for the car I drive, one bug out bag in the home (which is a ruck sack with all I truly need it in it on a back pack frame) and the fanny bag. Everything else is in the home in the safe area of the house. I do have some odds and ends in the shed as well along with my tools (generator and fuel) and small supplies for short rebuilds if the house gets damaged during an earthquake.

The rest is just planning. I have a group of friends I worked out some basic plans where to meet up since I have a 4 wheeler to go and get them if they are stranded. (Even if it takes several trips, but others have their own 4 wheelers too) (The family plan is premade as well) We have radios to communicate with. However, I never take my radio with me when riding with others (they have radios) and handheld's would never be beneficial to carry since most live out of range.

So that setup didn't take long at all to set up. Just dealing with different opinions was the hardest part and each had their own idea what to do and where to go or how to get there, but it all worked itself out.