PDA

View Full Version : I am a happy dad!

Swamprat1958
09-05-2010, 05:58 PM
My 12 year old son Zach killed his first three doves Saturday morning with my old single shot Stevens that dad gave me in 1967. He would have killed more if they had been flying better. He had a ball and can't wait to go again.

I passed on a lot of birds to make sure Zach would have plenty to shoot at, but still managed to drop 7 birds out of twelve shots backing Zach up.

A cold front came through the night before and must have run most of the doves off. Our group of 14 killed approximately 60 birds, which wasn't too bad. But on a good day we would have killed a lot more, those guys we hunt with can really shoot. They grew up hunting dove, quail and ducks and are excellent wing shots. It looks like Zach will be right in there with them from now on! Especially since after the hunt my brother gave him the old Stevens 20 gauge double barrel that we used to hunt quail and ducks with when we were in our early teens. That Stevens is well used but still looks great. I better float a loan to keep him in shotgun shells.

I really worried whether Zach would like to hunt since for the first nine years of his life he really didn't have much interest in going hunting. He was into video games and I wasn't going to make him hunt. He started wanting to deer hunt when he was ten and really got into it at eleven. Now I will have a hunting partner every time I head out the door. I guess patience does pay off and I am a happy dad!!!!

Justin Case
09-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Congrats ! who cleaned them ?

crashdive123
09-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Congrats to Zach!

Swamprat1958
09-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Congrats ! who cleaned them ?

The guys we hunted with put all the birds together and we cleaned them and fried them up for lunch. I am not pushing Zach into cleaning yet, I am too pleased with him wanting to hunt and shooting so well to blow a good thing making him clean the birds. Maybe later this year or next year he will get involved in processing the game we kill.

Justin Case
09-05-2010, 06:08 PM
The guys we hunted with put all the birds together and we cleaned them and fried them up for lunch. I am not pushing Zach into cleaning yet, I am too pleased with him wanting to hunt and shooting so well to blow a good thing making him clean the birds. Maybe later this year or next year he will get involved in processing the game we kill.

Great Lunch ! :)

Rick
09-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Sounds like a great time. Just being out with dad, grandpa and his uncle meant a lot to him I'm sure. Good for you guys to continue the legacy and I'm glad no one got hurt.

Swamprat1958
09-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Like I mentioned these guys are old pros at hunting and the dove field was set up perfect. We had plenty of distance between shooters and no one was even close enough for there to be chance of one of us getting sprinkled by pellets. In fact they have been hosting this dove hunt for over 30 years and there has never been an accident. Safety takes precedence over everything when firearms are involved.

Sourdough
09-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Congratulations, your a very lucky man to have such a son, as is he to have a loving caring father.

NightShade
09-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Good for you... And good for him!.. Funny how they come around, my son had no interest for the longest time.. He's 12 now and any time I walk out with a gun or rod he is on my heels... My daughter is total opposite... 6 and begs to carry the gun or rod...... Man, enjoying it with the kids makes a fun time so much funner! Errrr.. I guess that should be " more fun" whatev... U know what I'm saying....

sthrnstrong
09-07-2010, 06:52 AM
Congrats to both of you

rwc1969
09-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Good for the both of you, sounds like it was a great time.