PDA

View Full Version : Cold Steel vs Columbia River

beetlejuicex3
09-02-2010, 08:15 PM
We have the chance to buy some Columbia River knives but haven't had much experience with them. A few of the models included in the package are discontinued this year - but the price is right in this case.

We've handled Gerber and Cold Steel mostly, some SOG. We love Cold Steel, even if their informational videos are a little intense.

Columbia River knives look a little more stylistic. Other than that, how would you folks compare Columbia River to Cold Steel?

klickitat
09-02-2010, 08:22 PM
The folks who started CRK&T were at one time employed by Gerber. Their stuff is as nice as anything out there. BTW: if you end up with an Apache II I will take it! I bought one for my wife years ago and it was stolen.

Rick
09-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Greenbeetle - Just be aware there are some counterfeit CRKT knives out there.

http://www.crkt.com/knifecounterfeits

beetlejuicex3
09-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Greenbeetle - Just be aware there are some counterfeit CRKT knives out there.

http://www.crkt.com/knifecounterfeits

Nice article, thanks for the heads up. These come from a US wholesaler but we will be cautious.

They are offering elishewitz horus, folding hissatsu and some ultimas. If anyone has specific feedback on these that would be awesome.

kyratshooter
09-03-2010, 02:20 AM
CRKT has some very nice items. I have 3-4 and carry them often as my "dress up knives". I carried one today on my weekly settling of the world's problems lunch, in fact.

They are highly finished outdoorsmens knives as compared to the CS quasi-military rough around the edges for the chopper junkies approach.

canid
09-03-2010, 02:55 AM
year, CRKT seems to be all about fit and finish and the novel, where cold steel seems to follow he KISS approach, with a lot of plastic on steel.

beetlejuicex3
09-03-2010, 07:46 AM
Rick, Canid and kyratshooter (and anyone else),

This seems to be what I'm noticing too. Their price points are not very different from CS. They have done a better job categorizing their items for marketing purposes, however.

If you had a $100 gift certificate good for either, which would you choose, CS or CRKT, and why?

Rick
09-03-2010, 07:51 AM
That's pretty hard to answer. It would depend on what I needed at the moment and what I was in the mood for.

crashdive123
09-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Rick, Canid and kyratshooter (and anyone else),

This seems to be what I'm noticing too. Their price points are not very different from CS. They have done a better job categorizing their items for marketing purposes, however.

If you had a $100 gift certificate good for either, which would you choose, CS or CRKT, and why?

I would mix and match, and get five of these http://safezonellc.com/bbbushman.html

kyratshooter
09-03-2010, 12:53 PM
$100 GC, easy answer.

CRKT without hesitation. I would wind up with two or three very nice blades I could be proud of.

CS might appeal to the BOB beauty contest group but in my world I do not need a paramilitary signature.

canid
09-03-2010, 01:13 PM
ok, so i was just reading one of the pages of Cold Steel's site. it seems they are now claiming to have invented the tanto.

There isn’t a person working in the knife industry today that knows more about the Tanto than Cold Steel does. It was, after all, Cold Steel who invented and popularized this knife style in the early 1980’s.
http://www.coldsteel.com/tantoseries.html

now i understand they are referring to the so called 'american tanto' style of knife, but this is just further proof that american doesn't know the difference.

sgtdraino
09-03-2010, 04:05 PM
I've always heard people speak highly of the quality of CRKT... however I have personally never liked their stuff. Quality-wise, it's probably fine, but I just don't like the ergonomics or style of the knives that they make.

I like a lot of the Cold Steel stuff, and it has always held up well for me.

Batch
09-03-2010, 08:57 PM
CRKT has taken design from many custom knife manufacturers and produced some really great knives.

I have owned several and been really happy with them. I have loved some things from CS. But, I would choose CRKT first.

Pocomoonskyeyes3
09-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Personally I own several CRKT's and only one CS knife.... The Cold steel was given to me. I have a Point guard (Discontinued) An M-16 and an M21-04G. I actually try and buy CRKT over ALL mass produced knives..... I like them that much. I will buy some of the other brands, but when I walk in a store it is CRKT that I am looking for.

Not real sure if any of those models have it But the LAWKS (I think it stands for "Lake and Walker knife Safety" IIRC) system on CRKT's is a BIG thing in favor of them in my book. It basically Locks the locking mechanism making Double sure that a knife doesn't close accidentally. I have never had that fail on me either. (But can't say that about some Bucks,schrades and even a Puma I have owned in the past)

I like all CRKT's Except the "Abstract" designs, and those with an "American Tanto" style blade.... each to it's own purpose of course. The Hissatsu IIRC is a "Combat" knife (fighter) that strongly resembles a Filet knife. I have tried to keep a CRKT on my person after I bought my first "Point guard" about 10-12 years ago. That knife alone sold me on CRKT.... Good Luck finding one of those, most owners will not part with it.