PDA

View Full Version : Woods for Bow Drill in Southern Ontario

Carl Rotebrink
08-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Does anyone know what I should be looking for?

your_comforting_company
08-28-2010, 10:20 PM
This seems to be a common recurring question.

Although I'm not even remotely in your neck of the woods, there are a few general guidelines. It needs to have a straight enough section to actually use as a spindle.It should generally be softish wood, you can dent it with your thumbnail. After that, I usually just try it. It should grind into a fine powder, not stringy, not big chunks. Avoid sappy woods, and known hardwoods as they tend to polish. Different woods act differently and each may take. Oak and hicory are hard and pine is too sappy.

I hear that white cedar makes a most excellent hearth, but I don't think it grows here, at least I haven't tried it. I made fire with red cedar last night, don't know if that grows near you... Cottonwood and basswood are also said to be good. I really have no idea what grows in Ontario but I hope that helps you look at all materials available to you, use those basic guidelines and try everything. You might even discover new usable materials.

Carl Rotebrink
08-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks for your answer, YCC.

your_comforting_company
08-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Any time, my friend. I'm available to help troubleshoot and answer any other questions you may have (with my limited south georgia experience).

And remember, the only dumb question is the one you DON'T ask! Let us know what you try and the results you come up with. Good luck and remember persistence!!