PDA

View Full Version : Crown of the world

oldtrap59
08-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Watched a show on pbs this week that was titled Crown of the world. It was a semi documentary on the Wrangall St. Alias mountains of Alaska. If you ever have a chance to see this progarm it's well worth the hour. Beautiful country. I didn't check but you may be able to find it on pbs.org.

oldtrap

canid
08-27-2010, 09:12 PM
watch the documentary? i've been trying to move back there for ages.

seriously though, if it's the one i've seen [year before last maybe?] it's a good one.

Sourdough
08-27-2010, 09:28 PM
I have guided Dall Sheep Hunting parties over there. Majestic beauty.

Alaskan Survivalist
08-27-2010, 09:47 PM
I didn't see the movie but dip net in Chitina, fish for kings at the bridge in Gulkana and and was just given a knife by some paratroopers I hooked up with a freind that let them stay in one of his cabins in Slana. No antler size restrictions in that area and they had a successful hunt.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1291.jpg

It was a nice break from Afganistan for them. Land is fairly cheap through the state in that area and I have been considering it to get my nephews boat closer to Valdez.

oldtrap59
08-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Sd I'd love to hunt an area like that. Not just for the hunt it'self but the beauty of the area too.

AS Looks like one nice knife. Made to take a beating for sure. I'm guessing the guys really enjoyed knocking off that Afgan dust in such a place.

oldtrap

canid
08-28-2010, 12:37 AM
yeah, it's about as far opposite of the afghanistan i've seen in video as one could get.

Alaskan Survivalist
08-28-2010, 01:16 AM
If you had met these guys you'd have wanted them to have the best hunt they could and that was the area that came to mind. I'm damn proud to have been able to help them. We exchanged emails and vowed to stay in touch.