PDA

View Full Version : squash experiment, and taking suggestions.

canid
08-27-2010, 04:21 PM
i wanted to see if i could make a simple squash bread, and i didn't want to look it up.

i baked several acorn squash today, so i thought i'd try something. i put some squash in the blender [for laziness' sake] and bit by bit, added just enough water to blend smoothly [skin and all] i think this worked out around 3 parts squash to 1 part water. i added some salt, sugar, cinnamon, clove and red chili powder [just the chili, not the blended stuff].

i mixed 1 cup of this with half a cup whole wheat flour and a tablespoon of baking soda. this seemed to be thick enough, so i placed it in a small bread pan and put it in a 350f oven.

as it turns out, this is way more water than i expected and after an hour, it's still sticky inside when i test it [taking longer than bananna bread].

for the next try i will either omit the water and blend manually [don't have a food processor] or i will double the flour. i'll probably have to use yeast in either case, as the dough will be much stiffer.

i can't wait for it to be 'done enough' as it smells divine, though i think the next time i will include sauteed onions as well.

so on to the question: does anybody here make bread with winter squash [this includes pumpkins]? how do you like to do it? i know i can find recipes online with ease, but i just though i'd spark a conversation here instead.

Winnie
08-27-2010, 05:45 PM
I like to use a carrot cake recipe, but substitute baked, pureed squash or pumpkin instead of carrot. You don't need to use yeast, just the usual raising agents. I also cover the top with cream cheese icing, Mmmmmmm:)

canid
08-27-2010, 06:51 PM
that sounds wonderful. thanks for the info Winnie.

btw: came out gummy and deflated as it cooled [it had risen just fine]; needs more flour, less water or both.

Chris
08-27-2010, 08:02 PM
I've done it with butternut squash. I took a zucchini bread recipe, and used squash for the zucchini. I also added different spices (cloves, allspice, cinnamon, etc) and some cocoa powder.

Chris
08-27-2010, 08:04 PM
here is my fav zucchini bread recipe

http://www.thefoodicook.com/the-best-zucchini-bread-ive-ever-made/

Chris
08-28-2010, 02:41 PM
actually I was misremembering, what I actually did was use a pumpkin bread recipe, which are all over the place, but used the squash instead of the pumpkin, keeping all else the same. I used one from allrecipes.com