PDA

View Full Version : Knife Club Meeting

crashdive123
08-26-2010, 11:30 PM
I battled the elements for a meeting tonight. One of the knives was a Loveless knife, circa early 60's. I don't know one knife maker from the next. As I was studying the knife (it's being cleaned up by one of our experienced makers) I thought that some of the makers in the club do work just as good as this one. I was told the value of the knife was around $6,000. I thought to myself - no way.

Way - I guess. http://www.lovelessknife.com/battle-knife/index.html

panch0
08-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Bob Loveless, knives have sold for upto 10-20 grand I believe. He is a legend in the knife world.

edit. I just clicked on the link. Holy COW!

Rick
08-26-2010, 11:39 PM
Holy cow is right and one of them sold! I would be so in the dog house if I bought one of those. Soooooo in the dog house. I'd probably get to surface in 2020.....maybe.

crashdive123
08-26-2010, 11:40 PM
Here's what a $6,000 knife that needs a little TLC looks like.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Out%20And%20About/KnifeClub009-1.jpg

This one was numbered 201 (not sure out of how many)

panch0
08-26-2010, 11:52 PM
Cleaning it up may reduce value no? Maybe an expert in restoration can do it right. I hope they don hit it on a grinder or something.

Erratus Animus
08-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Crash I must agree with you. I know who the man was but so what. I would never use a 6k knife so it then becomes art. I am not really into art but I am into using knives.

Camp10
08-27-2010, 05:58 AM
Bob is still alive..or at least he was a year ago. He is in his early 80's and still in CA. He changed the style of knives and for that has been the most copied maker around. He was making knives like that one in the picture when other makers were putting a stacked leather 3 1/2" handle (with an out of balance 6-8" blade)on their knives. You cant tell in the picture, but that loveless knife has a tapered tang and the balance would be perfect.

On top of changing the looks of knives, he was also leading the way with new steel technology back in the day. He brought us modern makers cm 154 stainless and when it went away for a little while, he worked with a japanese manufacturer to develop ats-34.

There are many "big name" makers that give credit to Mr Loveless for inspiring them and for offering advice and help along the way. He shared his knowledge to the others in the newly developing business of custom handmade knives. He was one of the founders of the Knifemakers' Guild as well.

Probably no one cares except me but it just seems he should get more of an intro than a " I'd never pay XX dollars for a knife" .

crashdive123
08-27-2010, 07:39 AM
I didn't meet the guy that owned the knife, but the guy restoring it is a pretty accomplished maker. He told a story of Bob Loveless that was pretty interesting. It went something like this -

In the 50's he went into Abercrombie & Fitch in New York City to buy a Randall Made knife. There was quite a waiting period to get one so he left and decided to make his own. His first was made from a leaf spring he got out of the junk yard. The guy at Abercrombie & Fitch asked him why he would want a Randall - his were just as good. They gave him $1000 (remember this is the early 50's) to start making knives that were sold in Abercrombie & Fitch.

kyratshooter
08-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Loveless basically invented the drop point style. And the hollow rivet lanyard hole as part of a basic utility blade.

The one shown is one of his combat styles, probably from the Viet Namn era by the serial number.

I think he numbered his knives consecutively and not by model number.

I never heard that story about Loveless. Never knew he made blades for anoyone else.

Randal still has a waiting list for the classic models. I only know one place, just off base at Ft Benning Ga, where you can buy one across the table any time you walk in. It may not be exactly the style you want but it will be a Randal. They had a deal with Randal at one time. Across the table sales to anyone with deployment papers, waiting list for all others.

Camp10
08-28-2010, 07:51 AM
In the 50's he went into Abercrombie & Fitch in New York City to buy a Randall Made knife. There was quite a waiting period to get one so he left and decided to make his own. His first was made from a leaf spring he got out of the junk yard. The guy at Abercrombie & Fitch asked him why he would want a Randall - his were just as good. They gave him $1000 (remember this is the early 50's) to start making knives that were sold in Abercrombie & Fitch.

I've never heard about the $1000 to start making knives. I heard his original order from them was 3 knives at $14 each. He did make knives for A&F for a while though. The rest of the story is in his knifemaking book. He made his first knife from a leaf spring out of a 1937 Packard. He was a merchant seaman at the time and went to A&F to get a Randall knife. They told him about the 9 month wait so he left. His first knife was made on the ship and treated in the ships galley. He used refrigerant oil as his quenchant and tempered it in the oven with some bread that was being made. He brought the knife back to the store only to show the salesman that he could get a high quality knife without waiting 9 months but the manager found him instead of the salesman and the rest is history!

crashdive123
08-28-2010, 09:04 AM
The story related to me was that he told A&F that he really didn't have the equipment to produce knives in quantity when they asked. Whomever he was talking to, called the bank and told him a gentleman would be coming in to pick up a $1000 loan. He did - no paperwork was ever filled out, and he did repay the loan.

I can't attest to the accuracy of the story, but I liked it.

panch0
09-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Sad New today, I just heard that Bob Loveless passed away today. The knifemaking world has lost a living legend. He is a legend now. RIP Mr Bob Loveless.