PDA

View Full Version : curiosity killed the cat

wareagle69
08-25-2010, 09:06 PM
hopefully not me, yes i know never eat anything you have not positivley identified, i define that as when you are new, i consider myself as being somewhat versed in wildedibles and shrooms.
i have spent the better part of a week watching my pasture observing and doing tons of research cannot come up conclusivley what it is but curiosity is getting the best of me.
i beleive it to be AGARICUS ocecanus. so now i will proceed with a test that i used to not beleive in, that is until i ralised i was doing it w/o realizing i was doing it, so i will wait until saturday morning on a fresh stomache and start my xperiment,
yes after taking a bite i'm sure my mind will tell me how stupid it was but........never did claim to be the smartest cookie out there, just the most determined

wareagle69
09-03-2010, 06:21 AM
update
did not have time to experiment busy with EMS all weekend now shrroms all gone, but found some massive boletes yesterday under a vast pine tree, boletes are good to eat

canid
09-03-2010, 06:59 AM
no bolete or agaricus is paticularly likely to cause you serious harm [though some will make you quite ill], but members of both groups are often next to imbossible to identify to species. odds are, if there is a bolete species you think you know [such as B. edulus], it is actually a dozen or more taxa.

luckily, you needn't always be quite so stringent: every species in the king bolete cluster is just as edible and tasty.

it is just essential that you know when it matters and when it doesn't.

canid
09-03-2010, 07:02 AM
by the way: I don't know that Agaricus ocecanus is a valid taxon and i can't find any reference to it at all. i looked for an Agaricus oceanus as well, just in case that where a typo, and still no dice.