PDA

View Full Version : My Gear

ericgarner118
08-25-2010, 08:16 PM
This is what I've got gear wise so far. My wife and I plan on heading out for a weekend hike this weekend. She has a smaller camelpak that has some room in it with gear also. Were gunna take some of the freeze dried meals and some other snacks. Power bars, a little hard candy, and some other food.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=235&pictureid=2006

welderguy
08-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Dont forget water. Looks like a good pack for a weekend.

crashdive123
08-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Have fun. Don't forget the camera.

ericgarner118
08-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Welderguy, Yeah we should have about 3 liters a piece in the bottles, plus we're gunna be by a lake and can boil and purify some there.

Crash, don't worry. I got it charging up now. Plan on taking a few pics. There's some pretty scenery up there and should be fun.

Anybody have any recommendations on things to add or things to ditch?

welderguy
08-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Other than maybe a book to read at camp.

crashdive123
08-25-2010, 10:41 PM
You may have it wrapped around the gear - if I'm stringing hammocks and tarps I like to have a bit more cordage. Whole mess kit to remain civilized, or just a pot since you're boiling water for your meals (if the bags can be eaten out of - like Mountain House). I think I see a whistle in the pic. Signal mirror?

welderguy
08-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Isnt that a mirror by the shovel ?

crashdive123
08-25-2010, 10:56 PM
I thought it was either the blanket or pancho. Speaking of which - and this may just be a personal preference for me, but I like a pancho that is a little more substantial - I get cranky if I'm in the rain all day.

ericgarner118
08-26-2010, 12:16 AM
Welderguy, There's far too many things I need to practice when I'm out at camp for reading. Plus sitting by the lake fishing is always a good time killer for me.

Crash, I have a good bit of cord wraps and a couple bracelets I've made, but I do plan on taking another 100ft of paracord. The blue thing is a pancho. It is a little light but I don't plan on being out to much when a storm is coming. In the future I may throw a better one in there though.

crashdive123
08-26-2010, 07:22 AM
Just have a great time and let us know how it went. The real test of any equipment is to use it.

NCO
08-26-2010, 08:13 AM
Good looking kit! Only thing that came to my mind is that are your fork and spoon plastic?

ericgarner118
08-26-2010, 11:31 PM
NCO, Yeah the fork and spoon are plastic. Would steel be better?

We should be heading out tomorrow morning. I just hope I can catch more than one fish this time!

Rick
08-26-2010, 11:35 PM
The only thing I don't like about plastic is it gets brittle in the cold. I guess that depends on what kind of plastic it's made from but the cheaper stuff will snap when cold. Of course, you can always make chop sticks if that happens.

Beans
08-27-2010, 01:04 AM
FWIW Wendy's has great plastic wear. Whenever I visit I always get a couple of extra forks and knives in case they break when I am eating their salads. I must be lucky I have never broken one yet, Then I am stuck with the extra ones :-)

NCO
08-27-2010, 09:08 AM
One other thing about plastic, If you accidentally drop them in the fire?
My set is steel but there is good aluminium sets available too.

crashdive123
08-27-2010, 02:08 PM
...or titanium if ou like to be tendy.

Beans
08-28-2010, 01:51 AM
One other thing about plastic, If you accidentally drop them in the fire?
My set is steel but there is good aluminium sets available too.

I wish I could count the number if Govt issued meals I have eaten with just one plastic spoon. A couple of times several people have shared the same single spoon. It is just like the rest of your gear be careful and take care of it and it will take care of you.

I have also used plastic wear to keep a small fire burning in wet/damp weather.

If the food is so hot that it melts the spoon, it is too hot to put in your mouth. No so with metal ones. :tongue_smilie:

NCO
08-28-2010, 04:40 AM
It is just like the rest of your gear be careful and take care of it and it will take care of you.

Being from an army that uses AK derivate as their weapon of choice I tend to have the vision that the gear must take care of you even if it's run over by a car, in -40C temperatures, while buried in mud... :smash:

Rick
08-28-2010, 07:26 AM
I tend to have the vision that the gear must take care of you even if it's run over by a car, in -40C temperatures, while buried in mud...

Exactly, just like a Mora. :innocent:

NCO
08-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Exactly, just like a Mora. :innocent:

I take it that by "just like mora" to compare it to the plastic utils set whyle a real puukko represents the steel set...

Rick
08-28-2010, 05:48 PM
the gear must take care of you even if it's run over by a car, in -40C temperatures, while buried in mud...

Do I have to explain everything?

NCO
08-28-2010, 09:40 PM
I'm just wondering how you try to connect properties such as the ones you quoted with a mora... Only way I can imagine it to happen is by saying, "there are these great properties and mora has nothing to do with them".

Back to the sporks and such. Metal is good. Aluminium is a light metal. Get aluminium utils set.

Alaskan Survivalist
08-29-2010, 09:42 AM
When I carry a small amount of gear weight becomes less of an issue. Stainless is the most durable and I use it for cook ware unless over all weight needs to be shaved.

beetlejuicex3
08-29-2010, 10:22 AM
That's an interesting looking backpack, what is it? How much food are you taking and how much does all that gear weigh? It looks fairly light... What kind of sleeping bag is that and how big is your tarp, man? Tell us more!!!

greenbeetle
[