PDA

View Full Version : I'll Be Homeless on 08/25/2010

hoosierarcher
08-21-2010, 03:24 PM
The landlord of the place I was going to move to has reneged on me and I no longer have that apartment to move to and I live in a college town wherein apartments are not plentiful. They waited 2 weeks to tell me I couldn't move in. This leaves me just 5 days to find a place and move. Disappointed, sad and angry all at the same time.
Also I got hit with some unexpected bills and it wiped me out bank account ways. I have been waiting on a refund from an African Safari for 7 years and now it's supposed to come any day. They have told me this before. They only way I am not going to be homeless on the 25 is if that money transfer is made.
As I have never been this age before I had no idea how hard it is to get a good job when you're pushing 50. I keep hearing how over qualified I am. I guess it's time to become a hermit and live in a cave. Leaving on what my traps catch and what I find in dumpsters again. There is a certain freedom in such a life but it is also lonely for a gregarious guy like me.
I hate it when plans fall apart. But then again this is a different kind of survival situation and a chance to learn and grow as a person. Still for now I'll just be angry and disappointed with a touch of sadness.

Rick
08-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Check with the Red Cross, the Salvation Army or your county Housing Authority. They may be able to arrange temporary housing and assist in finding some place permanent. Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Sarge47
08-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Pushing 50? Try checking on driving a bus. I started at 56 and we have drivers doing it in their mid-70's. It's a job & can keep you going for awhile. Check your local food pantrys as well. Good luck! :cool2:

crashdive123
08-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Your a vet, check with the VA.

Rick
08-21-2010, 04:12 PM
I don't know if this will help or not.

http://jobsearch.monster.com/PowerSearch.aspx?where=Vincennes%2C%20IN&rad=20&rad_units=miles&tm=60&dv=#where=Vincennes%2C%20IN&rad=5&rad_units=miles&tm=60&dv=

http://evansville.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=227&subAreaID=&query=vincennes&catAbb=jjj

Justin Case
08-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Being over qualified is tricky, you will need to customize that part of the app to fit the job and what they are looking for,, I am so sorry to hear of your situation, I have been homeless and almost was again last month,, I wish you the very best of luck, Perhaps you could find some free legal help w/ that refund ? sometimes just a letter from a lawyers office can go a long ways, if you do end up homeless , Remember the churches usually give food to needy,,,,,,

hoosierarcher
08-21-2010, 04:55 PM
I'm not worried about food. I can forage, hunt, trap, fish and dumpster dive. Food is EVERYWHERE.

abe
08-21-2010, 05:01 PM
I'm a life member of the VFW and every now and then people need housing for a couple days, so we put them up in a motel and give them food vouchers. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it helps a little.

hunter63
08-21-2010, 07:11 PM
I guess I can't add to much to what has already been suggested, SHTF happens in many ways.
I will offer a "Good Luck", use your head and skills, as best as you can.

Hang in there, man, and keep us posted.

hoosierarcher
08-21-2010, 08:14 PM
It's a long story but suffices to say I don't get any VA benefits.
Before you jump to conclusions, I wasn't dishonorably discharged. Like I said it's a long story.
Anyway I have a some more options open to me but I can't do anything about them until Monday. I'm not worried about living in my truck or in a cave or my bivy. I just need a place to store my stuff that is cheap or free.

Batch
08-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Churches often have programs that help and they will offer spiritual help, but, really don't shove it down your throat.

I wish you the best and hope all works out for you.

rebel
08-21-2010, 11:19 PM
sorry to hear this. What about going to a different part of the country? Do you have any family to put you up and maybe know of a job?

Rick
08-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Maybe I'm wrong on this but I seem to recall at the jamboree you said your mom lived with you. Isn't there some county or state benefits that would help her and by default you? If I'm wrong on that I apologize. I'm going by memory and that's ify at best sometimes.

hoosierarcher
08-22-2010, 02:56 AM
Maybe I'm wrong on this but I seem to recall at the jamboree you said your mom lived with you. Isn't there some county or state benefits that would help her and by default you? If I'm wrong on that I apologize. I'm going by memory and that's ify at best sometimes.

Not my mother, it was my aunt I was watching out for her due to her Alzheimer's. Her mental health took a turn for the worse and my cousin, her daughter moved her to Georgia. My aunt's daughter owns the house and sold it out from under me after telling me I could live there and just pay the utilities. Then another cousin offered me a place to live waited 2 weeks and took back the offer for a bogus reason. As I said IF the guy pays up AND the apartment I heard of IS available AND I get a decent job, I'll be better than alright. If none of that happens I'll still be alright. I can handle being homeless(I think) I mean I did do a test run two Summers ago. BUT I had a free place to store my stuff. I guess I should have said, If nothing changes before the 25th I'll be homeless. Things are very capable of changing, just like the weather.

rwc1969
08-22-2010, 04:04 AM
Hopefully they change for the better HA.

hoosierarcher
08-23-2010, 09:38 PM
I found out about an apartment in a pretty good location that is reasonable priced. It won't be ready for 2 - 3 weeks. I need to find work before then. It has been hard WITH an address I don't know if being temporarily homeless will make it harder but I think it will. Wish be well. Pray for me if you believe in God, a Higher Power and prayer. Thanks for your suggestions. I also went to the local housing authority and I need a job to get an apartment with them so I hope I get hired tomorrow. So I can move in by Monday there.
I have apps in several places.

gryffynklm
08-23-2010, 10:06 PM
How about a P.O. box you'll have a place for your mail to go until you get moved in. Just a thought. We don't have a street address just the PO. The post office has our residence listed as "the long blue House on the SW corner of .... and ...." Its a pain having things shipped.

BENESSE
08-23-2010, 10:08 PM
Prayers offered and fingers crossed. You WILL come through it all, I just know it.
In the meantime keep your whiskers up (Mr. Tibb's recommendation--our 18.5 yr. old tabby) and your mind open to good things.

nell67
08-24-2010, 05:31 AM
Prayers hoosier,I know how difficult it is to be in this situation all too well.

Camp10
08-24-2010, 05:41 AM
Sorry to hear it HA. I sure hope things drop into place for you. Hang in there!

Ole WV Coot
08-24-2010, 05:25 PM
How about a P.O. box you'll have a place for your mail to go until you get moved in. Just a thought. We don't have a street address just the PO. The post office has our residence listed as "the long blue House on the SW corner of .... and ...." Its a pain having things shipped.

I don't have one either, just a route and box number. Couple of yrs. ago EMS named every road, gave every house a number so I have a box number on the mailbox and a house number on the house. Some businesses & agencies won't take a box no. as a residence location. Go with general delivery at whatever post office you are near. Good Luck

oldsoldier
08-25-2010, 09:17 AM
An alternative to a PO box is a place like kinkos that rents mail boxes similar to the post office. The only differance is there versus the Po is you actually have a street address kinda like..... 111 N manin street # 44 whatever town..... I know of a couple people who are owner/operator truck drivers that live in their trucks and use these in their "home base/town" where family is to recieve mail. They can also get packages there as well. And they are as cheap or cheaper than a PO box.

hoosierarcher
08-25-2010, 08:19 PM
I have a P.O. Box
P.O.Box 461
Vincennes, IN 47591

Rick
08-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Today's the 25th. Did you find a place?

hoosierarcher
08-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Not yet, but a peace has descended upon me that I am really enjoying. I'm not going to sweat this time of living in my truck. Something good will come out of it I'm sure. I have private land to deer hunt on this year. I have friends that while they have no place for me to stay will buy me lunch once or twice a week. I have a place to do laundry for free and a place to do my morning hygiene. Cold weather is months away and I have warm wool blankets and merino wool long johns and socks and pack boots good to -100. I have several wool toques(toboggan caps some call them). Like I said in a previous post food is not a worry.

crashdive123
08-26-2010, 10:14 PM
How are you getting Internet access? Library? Friends? Wifi?

hoosierarcher
08-27-2010, 03:03 PM
There are several free WiFi places in town. I'm not completely broke, just no place to move into. So I can swing a cup of coffee and be in a WiFi hotspot.

Ken
08-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Archer, take a look:

Cashier I - Company: Lowe's

http://www.job.com/my.job/jobdisplay/page=jobview/pt=2/key=61476109/us=702/

Several jobs in the food service industry:

http://www.snagajob.com/local-jobs?s=indiana&l=vincennes

Loads of other jobs posted:

http://www.advertisingomaha.com/free-classifieds/?l=Jobs_Help_Wanted+Vincennes+Indiana&view=ads&catid=5&cityid=2322&lang=en

hoosierarcher
08-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Thank you Ken I am looking for work nationally(locally too, snagajob.com has been useless to me). Maybe this was the reason that I am to move somewhere else.

canid
08-27-2010, 06:50 PM
i've been in that situation more than once [though with my youth to cushion me] and i wish you the very best.

somewhere there's a window opening archer.

hoosierarcher
08-27-2010, 09:11 PM
thanks canid, today was rougher than the last two days for some reason. The negative thoughts made their presence known. I don't think this could happen to anybody who wouldn't feel like a failure for it coming to pass. I couldn't see where to make my next step. Should I stay here or should I fill the gas tank, pick a compass direction and head out and see what happens.

Justin Case
08-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Have you thought about BP ? http://www.suite101.com/content/oil-jobs---help-wanted-for-deepwater-horizon-gulf-oil-spill-a249691

Beans
08-28-2010, 01:35 AM
My first thought would to head to a warmer area. 30 degrees would be easier for me then 0 or 0-

I am not sure any area has more jobs then another. Just different type of work.

I grew up in Northeastern Missouri and even as a kid I knew what being out in the cold most of the night was like in the winter time.

Alaskan Survivalist
08-28-2010, 01:44 AM
If I can't find employment I look for work. If you see something that needs to be done offer to do it for a price.

rebel
08-28-2010, 09:44 AM
What about cruise ships and dinner cruise boats. Seasonal resort work. Da islands man!

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Hoosierarcher,

Maybe we can help eachother. I have a vacant home that needs an occupant and it also needs fixed up. You pay utilities and fix it up. I am in Sumter SC and everyone I know is working. I'll PM my phone number.

mountain mama
08-28-2010, 12:08 PM
dontcha just love the networking that takes place here?

crashdive123
08-28-2010, 12:52 PM
That's one heck of an offer CS.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-28-2010, 12:55 PM
That's one heck of an offer CS.

As it stands it looks like I will be refinancing and roll in the necassary improvements to get the home where it needs to be when this market turns around. This might be perfect for both of us as I don't have the time to do all of what I want to do. Heck I even have an extra riding mower to put over there!:tongue_smilie:

hoosierarcher
08-28-2010, 03:32 PM
CS, I'm floored by your offer. I called you got voice mail and left my number. This is just to say I'll talk it over with you.

Sourdough
08-28-2010, 03:35 PM
I sure hope this works out for you guys. Now would someone find me a woman........:innocent:

BENESSE
08-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Let's hear your pitch SD.
Then, I'll get right on it.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-28-2010, 04:03 PM
I did get a call from HoosierArcher..I missed it.. I called back and left a message. We shall see.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Let's hear your pitch SD.
Then, I'll get right on it.

what about me? I have a pitch!

Inspiring and enhancing women’s lives by quenching the soul’s search for self-expression let me intruce you to Cowboysurvival!

BENESSE
08-28-2010, 04:06 PM
what about me? I have a pitch!

Inspiring and enhancing women’s lives by quenching the soul’s search for self-expression let me intruce you to Cowboysurvival!

Nice.
What else?

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Hosierarcher..

If you wanna google the home it is 6 Thomas Dr. Sumter S.C. 29150.

Look forward to hearing back from you!

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Nice.
What else?

I am a cowboy.....

Alaskan Survivalist
08-28-2010, 04:10 PM
I sure hope this works out for you guys. Now would someone find me a woman........:innocent:

That's easy. I never had any class but I had a friend that always had lots of girl friends so I asked him his secret. He said all you have to do is ask them. It's a numbers game and the odds may be one in a thousand so just ask a thousand women. It's surprizing how many actually do say yes.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-28-2010, 04:11 PM
That's easy. I never had any class but I had a friend that always had lots of girl friends so I asked him his secret. He said all you have to do is ask them. It's a numbers game and the odds may be one in a thousand so just ask a thousand women. It's surprizing how many actually do say yes.

Right again!

BENESSE
08-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Getting warmer...still up for grabs.
You better ask your daughter for some finer points. She'll nail it, I just know!

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-28-2010, 04:14 PM
Hoosier I see you are online.. I am serious but don't have alot of time to figure this out...I have offered this on facebook too. I have a response there that looks promising....contact me..I will honor that I offered it to you first. Contact me!

crashdive123
08-28-2010, 04:15 PM
CS - are you sure you want to put the address in the public forum?

Whose trucks are those (two in the driveway and one in the yard) and what is the trailer full of pipes for?

BENESSE
08-28-2010, 04:15 PM

LordAmighty...I kinda hoped it was about quality vs. quantity. If it weren't, SD would still be married...am I right?

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Getting warmer...still up for grabs.
You better ask your daughter for some finer points. She'll nail it, I just know!

She isn't here..visiting Mom.

But I do have this note sitting in front of me she wrote...

2 actually..

I love my Dad
My Dad is cool
Now it is time for school..

next one.

Dear Dad,
I am very sorry, but one thing I know..you love me.

Love, Cheryl

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-28-2010, 04:19 PM

Whose trucks are those (two in the driveway and one in the yard) and what is the trailer full of pipes for?

I am sure those google pics are from years ago. No different than selling a home?

Alaskan Survivalist
08-28-2010, 04:22 PM
LordAmighty...I kinda hoped it was about quality vs. quantity. If it weren't, SD would still be married...am I right?

Finding a good one is a numbers game too. I always advise young men to get rid of women and it's the one they can't say no to that is the right one.

BENESSE
08-28-2010, 04:24 PM
That's very sweet CS. I'm on the case!

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-28-2010, 04:26 PM
That's very sweet CS. I'm on the case!

Yeah, she is a chick magnet...too bad most of them don't measure up to Daddy's standards...

BENESSE
08-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Finding a good one is a numbers game too. I always advise young men to get rid of women and it's the one they can't say no to that is the right one.

I don't know...that just don't sit right. Sounds like crack. Sounds like trouble and you know it.

nell67
08-28-2010, 04:28 PM

He's probably right about that being old pics,I googled MY address,been here 3 1/2 years,and it still shows just a field,no improvements!

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-28-2010, 04:35 PM

Sounds like that was 10 yrs ago or so..

BENESSE
08-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Yeah, she is a chick magnet...too bad most of them don't measure up to Daddy's standards...

Don't know what daddy's standards are, but kids have this extra sense of who a good person is.
I know, because I was once a kid like that and I could tell. And my mom says (after all these years) that I was right. :)

Alaskan Survivalist
08-28-2010, 04:42 PM
I don't know...that just don't sit right. Sounds like crack. Sounds like trouble and you know it.

I've adored my wife for 32 years but make no mistake, I'm still in charge, she said I could be.

crashdive123
08-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Oh, I know they don't update the pics - mine was from about 4 years ago. Work truck is in the driveway with the phone number plastered across it.

CS - my point was not about what was there, but that putting out an address that the world can now see is not occupied - that's all. The criminal element is always working.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Don't know what daddy's standards are, but kids have this extra sense of who a good person is.
I know, because I was once a kid like that and I could tell. And my mom says (after all these years) that I was right. :)

Quite the opposite for me..she tries to match me up and when I do introduce her to someone she longs for it to be more..Dad is the choosy one. I ain't trying to be funny but most women are on some type of meds to keep their head straight..I can't relate to that.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Oh, I know they don't update the pics - mine was from about 4 years ago. Work truck is in the driveway with the phone number plastered across it.

CS - my point was not about what was there, but that putting out an address that the world can now see is not occupied - that's all. The criminal element is always working.

Crash..it is how it is when a home is vacant..If it were on the market..no difference.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-28-2010, 04:59 PM
I just got to talk to Hoosierarcher and he is considering my offer.

BENESSE
08-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Quite the opposite for me..she tries to match me up and when I do introduce her to someone she longs for it to be more..Dad is the choosy one. I ain't trying to be funny but most women are on some type of meds to keep their head straight..I can't relate to that.

God, I hope not!
Maybe in NYC, but not where you are?! What's this world coming to?
I am not being facetious, it's just not what I see among people I know.
You can't be too careful though, it's just not worth it.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-28-2010, 05:10 PM
God, I hope not!
Maybe in NYC, but not where you are?! What's this world coming to?
I am not being facetious, it's just not what I see among people I know.
You can't be too careful though, it's just not worth it.

I am serious B! I am a dating machine..I hear the words xanex, zoloft, buspar, etc. I run like hell!

Rick
08-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Hey, that's a nice house and yard.

BENESSE
08-28-2010, 05:19 PM
I am serious B! I am a dating machine..I hear the words xanex, zoloft, buspar, etc. I run like hell!

As you should!
Don't get swayed by...you know...
men have a way of relaxing their standards when it's convenient. (I've seen it up close and personal.)
Actually, women do too. Seriously, it's not worth it.

Rick
08-28-2010, 05:20 PM
men have a way of relaxing their standards

Men have standards?! Nobody told me. (nobody tells me nothin'. [walks away kickin chat])

BENESSE
08-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Men have standards?! Nobody told me. (nobody tells me nothin'. [walks away kickin chat])

I'm sure Mrs. Rick will be only happy to explain it to you.
Why not just pour yourselves a drink of choice and you ask her?

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-28-2010, 05:23 PM
As you should!
Don't get swayed by...you know...
men have a way of relaxing their standards when it's convenient. (I've seen it up close and personal.)
Actually, women do too. Seriously, it's not worth it.

I am speechless hearing this coming from a girl!

BENESSE
08-28-2010, 05:36 PM
I'll bet there are quite a few people with enough experience to address this issue (Sourdough?)--
namely, choosing the right mate.
It's important enough to warrant a thread of its own, because, when push comes to shove,
being with like minded people starts at home--IMHO.

hoosierarcher
08-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Well, things to consider
1) I don't know anyone in SC although I called Parris Island home for a time.
2) It's an 11.5 hour (699 miles) drive from here which means at least 2 tanks of gas one way.
3) It's a "step into the unknown."
Plus a lot more than I can post here in minutes.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Well, things to consider
1) I don't know anyone in SC although I called Parris Island home for a time.
2) It's an 11.5 hour (699 miles) drive from here which means at least 2 tanks of gas one way.
3) It's a "step into the unknown."
Plus a lot more than I can post here in minutes.

I completely understand your reservations and will work with you the best I can..We are known as the armpit of the south!

hoosierarcher
08-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Even if they don't mention Xanex, Zoloft, buspar, etc listen for her to talk about her mother. Such as, "My mother had a nervous break down before I was born." or some such. As the mother goes so goes the daughter.

BENESSE
08-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Honestly, If I were single today looking for a mate, I'd be an old maid for sure.
Mr. B & I met in school--when we had nothing and certainly carried no "baggage"--and it was easier to make a life together from scratch.
We were also lucky to recognize a good thing when it came along. Can't underestimate that. (thanks mom and dad, on both sides!)

oldsoldier
08-28-2010, 07:08 PM
HA don't know if your interested BUT custom staffing in Evansville is desperate for help to work out at ameriqual foods. A friend/neighbors son works for them and they want people bad. currently they are working people 10 hrs a day 6-7 days a week. current pay is around $8.50 an hour. You may want to check on it.

Chris
08-28-2010, 08:40 PM
I've heard some stories about some towns in ND that have the lowest unemployment rate in the country, some businesses can't find enough employees. Then again, I hear it is cold there.

http://burghdiaspora.blogspot.com/2008/12/labor-shortage-north-dakota.html

hoosierarcher
08-28-2010, 08:51 PM
oldsoldier I'll look into it.
Chris that too.

Justin Case
08-28-2010, 09:40 PM

and Viagra ? ! :innocent:

hoosierarcher
08-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Benesse, you wouldn't be an old maid. Beauty compels men to all manner of bravery, daring and bravado and even guile. Some man would have been smart enough to figure something out that would have worked on you, if only persistence.

oldsoldier
08-29-2010, 04:48 PM
oldsoldier I'll look into it..

Cool if nothing else maybe you can work a couple of weeks and make enough to relocate if you choose.

hoosierarcher
08-29-2010, 05:31 PM
HA don't know if your interested BUT custom staffing in Evansville is desperate for help to work out at ameriqual foods. A friend/neighbors son works for them and they want people bad. currently they are working people 10 hrs a day 6-7 days a week. current pay is around $8.50 an hour. You may want to check on it.

I googled Ameriqual and looked at their listed jobs, there are some supervisory jobs I am qualified to do so I'm calling them on Monday and trying to get an interview with their HR department. I'll tell them that if nothing else I'm willing to work my way up, even at my age.

hoosierarcher
08-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Well I had my first run in with the police last night. Sleeping in the Denny's parking lot and they knocked on the window asked for ID then told me Denny's doesn't want me sleeping in their lot. I was in the parking space farthest from the door almost in the parking lot of the adjacent business. It wasn't like I was depriving anyone of a prime space or that I was visible to patrons as they entered. Anyway At police I went to the Walmart parking lot. They apparently are used to overnight parking situations. In fact the back edge of the lot looked a little like a camp ground what with two or three big motor homes parked there. Had to break my sleep up into blocks. At 06:30 I moved to covered parking in the downtown area. I have things in the bed of my truck I don't wish to get wet and rain was coming. I actually got the best sleep of the night from 07:00 and 09:00 in the covered parking. I asked the police and they are not keen on overnight parking in the covered pavilion. Anyway the police were amiable and professional and didn't make me feel bad for my circumstances. I'm going to have to find a place to set up my tent soon. I need to lay down and stretch out soonest.

Justin Case
08-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Well I had my first run in with the police last night. Sleeping in the Denny's parking lot and they knocked on the window asked for ID then told me Denny's doesn't want me sleeping in their lot. I was in the parking space farthest from the door almost in the parking lot of the adjacent business. It wasn't like I was depriving anyone of a prime space or that I was visible to patrons as they entered. Anyway At police I went to the Walmart parking lot. They apparently are used to overnight parking situations. In fact the back edge of the lot looked a little like a camp ground what with two or three big motor homes parked there. Had to break my sleep up into blocks. At 06:30 I moved to covered parking in the downtown area. I have things in the bed of my truck I don't wish to get wet and rain was coming. I actually got the best sleep of the night from 07:00 and 09:00 in the covered parking. I asked the police and they are not keen on overnight parking in the covered pavilion. Anyway the police were amiable and professional and didn't make me feel bad for my circumstances. I'm going to have to find a place to set up my tent soon. I need to lay down and stretch out soonest.

I had similar things happen when i was homeless, was asked to move a couple of times from various parking lots in town, I found the best place was where big rigs parked overnight,, near restaurants ,, I was in a very small town though,, One female police officer after checking me returned with a bag of MacDonalds cheeseburgers for me and my Dog,, :) Best hamburgers I ever ate !! I was very thankful for that "Police Contact" lol :)

hoosierarcher
08-30-2010, 07:20 PM
I need 10,000 people to send me $10.00 to buy a decent house and some small bit of land. LOL

Rick
08-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Yeah, me too.

Rick
08-30-2010, 07:42 PM
WalMart actually encourages folks to use their parking lot although they don't advertise it. I guess they figure it drums up business but our Wally always has motor homes and big rigs parked overnight.

Justin Case
08-30-2010, 10:37 PM
Me three....

sooo,,,,you can buy a decent house and land for only 10,000 dollars ??

BIG TONE
08-31-2010, 09:01 AM
I need 10,000 people to send me $1000 dollars so i can buy a ranch in the mountains.

Rick
08-31-2010, 01:07 PM
Man. The first couple of scammers don't stand a chance around here. You guys go find some other forum to bilk. (of all the nerve!)

Now, $10. Is that too much to ask? I've got my eye on a new F150.

Justin Case
08-31-2010, 01:07 PM
I've been wanting to buy an ultralight:innocent:

Rick
09-04-2010, 11:13 PM
So how goes the search? (home/work) Any news? Any changes?

mountain mama
09-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Chris is right about North Dakota: http://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm only 3.6% unemployment in the whole state.
And Rick is right about Walmart. Here are some other free camping ideas: http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/7-12-2005-73042.asp
http://www.freecampgrounds.com/results.aspx?s=19
http://freecampsites.net/attribute/states/in/

Rick
09-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Any update? Are you having any luck finding work or a place to stay?

hoosierarcher
09-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Update, A friend invited me to use his couch until I find my own place. An acquaintance has invited me to be his roommate BUT he is in a domestic relationship with a significant other and that is less than appealing. Still for 300/month which includes all utilities and full cable w/HD that is not bad at all. My cousin is doing her best to get me a job at the local Hospital. I have redone the whole applications and resumes run around town. I am sure something will happen soon.

pgvoutdoors
09-20-2010, 04:48 PM
hoosierarcher - I know how bad things must feel but hang in there, something always comes up. I too have been in that situation but I adapted and better times did come. Resort on your skills, all of them. I found a job first but was still homeless for a long time before I got back on my feet. Take care of yourself and hold your head up, don't become your own worse enemy. Build on your strengths and experience, and your good nature and knowledge. Keep us updated...

hoosierarcher
09-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks pvg

crashdive123
09-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Good luck HA. Hang in there.

Sourdough
09-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Hang in there, tie a knot and hold on tight.

cowgirlup
09-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Update, A friend invited me to use his couch until I find my own place. An acquaintance has invited me to be his roommate BUT he is in a domestic relationship with a significant other and that is less than appealing. Still for 300/month which includes all utilities and full cable w/HD that is not bad at all. My cousin is doing her best to get me a job at the local Hospital. I have redone the whole applications and resumes run around town. I am sure something will happen soon.

I hope things change for the better really soon.
Glad you have some friends who can help you out too. :)

wareagle69
09-24-2010, 06:29 AM
WalMart actually encourages folks to use their parking lot although they don't advertise it. I guess they figure it drums up business but our Wally always has motor homes and big rigs parked overnight.

actually, sam walton was homelss once himself and always wanted people to have a safe place to be able to spend the night, it is mandated not to change even after his death, although you will find folks always takeing advantage of a situation, in flagstaff they would set up rv's just like at the park, awings out green carpet on the ground and some fake trees under the awning and lounge chairs, last i knew the flag walmart was banning overnight parking, not sure how that worked out

Rick
09-24-2010, 07:47 AM
Cool! Thanks for the explanation.

hoosierarcher
09-24-2010, 05:50 PM
My Interview at the hospital went well. If affirmative action doesn't bite me on the rump again I probably have this job. I also am applying with the local county sheriff's department for a job as Jailer/Radio Dispatcher, with some fairly strong references. I've pretty much decided against moving in with the domestic couple. I can't see that lasting longer than 3 months before the arguments get out of hand. Seems some one bedroom apartments might become available by the time I am employed. It also looks like I just might be able to work the hospital job and the Sheriff department job together. One days and the other evenings. It won't give me much free time but I'll be building two pensions and a nest egg if I can work both.

aflineman
09-24-2010, 05:59 PM
Good luck. Took me awhile, but I am almost where I am comfortable again (and doing a job that I love). Didn't figure I could do electrical work again. After my operation and graduation, a term job fell into my lap. Permanent one starts next month. I does feel good.

coyote hunter
09-24-2010, 06:04 PM
I don`t know if there is much construction going on down your way but you might call the local laborers union hall and find out if there is any work to be had. It`s pretty easy to get in their union and I think their scale is 21.00 or 22.00 ? an hour now.

hunter63
09-24-2010, 06:16 PM
I asked at our local Walmart, manager did say the allow it as a matter of policy, but the township doesn't.
Still something to keep in mind.

hoosierarcher
09-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Well I have gone and caught the latest variant of the flu and it has knocked me for a loop. Temperature spikes :sweatdrop: and valleys, hacking up chunks of what looks like jellified pureed oysters :eek: and my nose is stuffed up beyond the relief of any otc cold remedy. :triage:
I guess I need a few more things to go wrong. Can someone give me a paper cut and pour vinegar into it?

your_comforting_company
09-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Sounds pretty gross.. Isn't there a Health Department where you can see a doctor? I just went and got 2 immunizations that didn't cost anything. Often the doctors will have meds they can give you in the office too. The good stuff for the flu is really expensive and for the most part you gotta let it run it's course, but maybe they could help ease your suffering.
Get well soon!

Ted
09-27-2010, 10:32 PM
Damn Dude, sorry to hear that! Any word on the job prospects? You get a place to stay yet? Wish you the best!

hoosierarcher
09-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Well one job is currently checking my references and it looks like I will probably get it. Bad news the fellow that was letting me crash on his couch is overburdened with work and family and such and has asked me to leave by Friday.So it's back to Wally World Parking lot if I can't find another arrangement.

Sourdough
09-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Well one job is currently checking my references and it looks like I will probably get it. Bad news the fellow that was letting me crash on his couch is overburdened with work and family and such and has asked me to leave by Friday.So it's back to Wally World Parking lot if I can't find another arrangement.

Well, that sounds semi-good. I sure hope the employment works out for you. And I really appreciate you staying in touch with us, Thanks.

your_comforting_company
09-30-2010, 12:09 AM
I said a little prayer for you too. Good luck with the job and place to stay. Best wishes.

hoosierarcher
09-30-2010, 09:55 AM
thanks everyone

Sourdough
09-30-2010, 10:26 AM
How soon will you know about the employment........?

equus
09-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Sorry hoosier. I hope things work out for you. Mel and I have been there. It takes time but you can do it we did not easy by no means but with determination you can make it through. Have you tried staying at the Salvation Army or a shelter of some kind?

hoosierarcher
09-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Sorry hoosier. I hope things work out for you. Mel and I have been there. It takes time but you can do it we did not easy by no means but with determination you can make it through. Have you tried staying at the Salvation Army or a shelter of some kind?
There is a men's shelter in town but they have limited space and I know there are those worse off than me that need the space they have available. In this town the Salvation Army shelter is for women and children only.
The job has checked my references so I guess it's just how long they take to make decisions.

equus
09-30-2010, 06:27 PM
You are in my prayers. I will pray that you can get the job soon and then be able to get a place again. Take care my friend.

Trabitha
09-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Hoosier, you may have said it...but I can't find it. What is your skill set? What did you do for a living?

hoosierarcher
09-30-2010, 08:23 PM
I've been a chef(and every other restaurant position), concert and night club security, Marine(sniper), shipping and receiving manager, a interior house painter, a janitor, sales clerk, cashier. I've published poems and short stories and "how to" articles in magazines and anthologies,been a landscaper, newspaper delivery(to the paper boys) and a farm hand. I've also been a substitute teacher and am a fair hand at teaching people how to work with computers or doing anything I know how to do. I've also been a better than average babysitter.

Jin
10-01-2010, 02:22 AM
Sorry to hear that bud, I know nursing homes are always hiring though if you don't mind the dirty part of the job. They usually start at 10 or so an hour if not your not a certified aide, but it's a good start. Some places will even train/certify you.

sthrnstrong
10-01-2010, 03:11 AM
If you have any interest in Middle Tennessee you can send me your resume. I have no problem helping a fellow Marine. I work as a Software Specialist for Nissan. The plant I work at is gonna hire around 20 something people to work the assembly line. If you have any experience with SQL, C++, Cimplicity or PLC's then I might be able to get you a interview with my department. Also I have a buddy how owns a electrical company in GA if you know that trade. Matter of fact just PM if your interested and we can discuss details. I won't be around the net till Monday night but let me know either way.

hoosierarcher
10-01-2010, 11:11 AM
I GOT THE JOB I HAVE BEEN WAITING TO HEAR ABOUT!!!!!!
I got an experience based initial salary bump. Full benefits.
Now I just need to find a place of my own. One down, one to go.

crashdive123
10-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Congratulations!

Rick
10-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Congrats, HA!!

Made it, Ma! Top of the world!

http://afi.chadwyck.com/images/home/cagney2.jpg

hoosierarcher
10-01-2010, 12:49 PM
There is employee copay (about $60/check) on the benefits BUT there are benefits.
Looked at an apartment, not great but it is a place to live. I'd like something nicer(it falls just short of what I call a decent place to live.) I'll keep looking.

Sourdough
10-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Congratulations............wow some relief.

hoosierarcher
10-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Well this is the type of job that once you're in you can count on having it as long as you like. Barring a major screw up and I don't do those........usually. My cousin, who helped me get this job has worked there since she was 19, I think, and she is older than me so over 30 years without many complaints by her. Oh I forgot to tell you what the job is.... Hospital Food Service. I play me cards right and I'll be made responsible for all the hospital's outside catering. Even if that doesn't happen I'll be making a living wage with a schedule that will allow me to make more money other ways.

gryffynklm
10-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Excellent news. Congratulations!

Batch
10-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Glad to hear you got the job! Congratulations!!

oldsoldier
10-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Great news Curtis, I'm happy for you. If you get down this way I'll buy you a celebratory beer (or two)

hoosierarcher
10-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Great news Curtis, I'm happy for you. If you get down this way I'll buy you a celebratory beer (or two)
Where exactly is "down this way?" Now that I am employed I will most likely spend an occasional day off in Evansville. At leat I did when I was fully employed before.

aflineman
10-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Congratulations! This is truly excellent news!

pgvoutdoors
10-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Good for you, I'm happy to hear your luck is turning for the better. Stay strong and you'll work out the other problems in no time.

hoosierarcher
10-02-2010, 02:49 AM
Thanks pgv

Camp10
10-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Congrats HA!! Bet your sleeping a little better at night now. Oh, the $60/pay period for bennies is a great deal..with insurance, 401K, etc I pay over $200 a week for mine!

Ted
10-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Sweet! Glad to hear you got the job!

equus
10-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Awesome Hoosier. That is excellent news.

nell67
10-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Great news HA!!!!!!!!

mountain mama
10-02-2010, 09:57 PM
I am so happy for you, HA! Congrats :)

hoosierarcher
10-28-2010, 01:47 AM
till don't have a place to live. Apartments that are not worth living in(as in infested with vermin and deplorably filthy) are going for $500/month here because of construction workers from all over the country descending on the area for the building a coal gasification plant in a near by small town. It's frustrating, to say the least.

BENESSE
10-28-2010, 07:37 AM
HA, I know this is not ideal, but is there a way you could rent a room in someone's house (say, an old lady who needs to supplement her income) til you get back on your feet? The important thing is you have a job and if you can just hang on to it and hang in there things are bound to improve.
btw...How's the job going? What do you do, what's your day like?

rebel
10-28-2010, 07:39 AM
till don't have a place to live. Apartments that are not worth living in(as in infested with vermin and deplorably filthy) are going for $500/month here because of construction workers from all over the country descending on the area for the building a coal gasification plant in a near by small town. It's frustrating, to say the least.

For 500 dollars you could get a camper that has a kitchen, bathroom and heat.

rebel
10-28-2010, 07:50 AM
http://evansville.craigslist.org/rvs/2023544093.html

BENESSE
10-28-2010, 11:25 AM
http://www.apartmentfinder.com/Indiana/Evansville-Apartments/The-Martin-Group-Inc-Apartments?refer=FP16A&ecid=DF|FP16A|228645

http://www.apartmentfinder.com/Indiana/Evansville-Apartments/Given-and-Spindler-Companies-Apartments?refer=FP16A&ecid=DF|FP16A|231423

http://evansville.reachoo.com/ads/112825799

your_comforting_company
10-28-2010, 11:23 PM
HA.. I know you aren't in a position right now to move away, but housing is a LOT cheaper down here. Not a lot in the way of work right now, but the farming industry always needs help, seasonal, and full time. Cotton and peanuts are in full force and will be for several months, and then the farmers themselves will be hiring again.. Not sure if that is something that interests you at all, but my SIL just got a really nice apartment up town for around $350 (It's cheaper for her, being a single parent, and getting housing assistance). I'm not talking about housing projects.. real houses, usually duplex apartments, in really nice neighborhoods. Heck, her house is nicer than mine (but mine is paid for, lol).
If work ever picks back up for me, I'll definately hire you.
Just tossing an option out there. It ain't city life, but it's gotta beat living on the street.

hoosierarcher
10-29-2010, 08:04 PM
YCC Thanks for the offer. I have a decent job and I was just told of an apartment that is becoming available on November 6. It is right across the street from the hospital I work at.
Benesse, Evansville is an hour south of here. That is too far a commute for what they pay and the price of gas. Thank you very much though.
Rebel the construction workers also have all the RV parks and campgrounds in the area full; but I still may buy that camper trailer for hunting and 3D shoots. It's too good a deal.Thanks to you as well.

y2k
11-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Do you or will you have funds? If you can put together $500 (or so) by selling stuff, etc, you can buy and old van and live in it. I've done so, off and on over the years, for months on end. By not having rent or utilities, by moving it only 1/2 mile at a time, twice a day (to keep people from siccing the cops on you) and riding a bicycle, your living expenses come down to just food, mostly, and food can be as little as $3 a day, if you know what to buy. If you set up someplace where you can garden, food can be $1 a day, too.

y2k
11-06-2010, 04:01 PM
This tactic would save most people at least 10k a year, and if you really look into what you waste, it might well save you 20k a year or more. When you don't drive much, and have a junk car, you only need the legal minimum insurance. When you save so much money, you can buy insurance by the year, instead of by the month, and that will save you another $20 a month (or so). When you save this much, you can afford to go to college, or take some sort of training. When you live in your van, you park it where you need to be, and you stay there until you need to be elsewhere. You run errands on the bicycle. You live up North for the summer, and move south for the winter, so you don't need heating or cooling. If you install cabinets, and a chest of drawers, the van has plenty of room, but you can use a public storage place to keep a small, pull-type trailer, or just a space to hold your "extra" stuff. When you move, you just pile the stuff in the back of the van, until you can get another storage space, or leave some of it with a friend, etc.

Rick
11-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Seriously? A couple of folks have suggested an introduction. You've made some pretty bold statements/claims. Just so we know you aren't a 12 year old blowing smoke (not that all 12 year olds do) why not take a look at this.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7813

hoosierarcher
11-10-2010, 08:45 PM
UPDATE: Today is the Marine Corps Birthday and I also signed a lease on an apartment. Moved mostly in today. I will be sleeping there tonight. Headed over to Wally World to buy a few groceries, mostly snacks for my new diagnosed diabetes. I have never been much of a snacker; but it's a required dietary part of managing diabetes. Nice little place, I am blessed to have found it and had so many friends pray for me, help me over this rough patch and family that helped me get this fine job, which led to this apartment. A coworker told me about it.
My diabetes is proving to be tricky to manage here at the beginning. My medications working too well and the fact that I have really cut back on my consumption of food have caused my BG to be as low as 68(tonight before dinner.) Anything below 70 is BAD and they don't want mine to go below 90. I've lowered my A1c 3 points in 1 month. I got an "attaboy" from the RN at the Diabetes Education center.
I average BG for the last 3 weeks has been 114 so I am responding well to my medication, diet changes and exercise increase.
Life as they say is good. God is Great and I am pretty happy. Now I just need to find a woman to share this adventure with, or is that asking too much?

crashdive123
11-10-2010, 09:37 PM
congratulations again.

Rick
11-10-2010, 11:01 PM
I don't know, HA. Maybe you and SD can compare notes. He's lookin' too, so I hear.

BENESSE
11-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Hey, wait a minute!!!
Maybe HA & SD could go in on time share.

Rick
11-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Well, there is land for sale and I think a town that size needs a Whiskey Emporium.

BENESSE
11-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Well, there is land for sale and I think a town that size needs a Whiskey Emporium.

I was talking about a 'lady friend' time share.
Jeez!!!
Do I have to spell it out?

rwc1969
11-10-2010, 11:22 PM
That's great HA, glad to hear it.

Beans
11-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Time share :-) RUMOR? was

When the Luxor was being built in Las Vegas years ago there was a shortage of ironworkers. They were bringing them in from out of state and paying them per diem for room and board.

Several of them went together and rented one apartment with a time share house Keeper :-).

It was my understanding that this went on for several months. Their PER DIEM paid for the apartment, the time share house keeper, a refrig full of beer, and what food they wanted.
They were not out any of their wages.

Someone ratted them out and they got busted. Changed the way the contractor paid per diem instead of paying the workers direct he paid for the rooms individually and had them on a not to exceed charge account a local resturant.

It was the talk of the construction trade for a while. Didn't make the news either