PDA

View Full Version : The Art of Doing Nothing

Rick
12-28-2007, 07:21 PM
We've spent a lot of time talking about how to build shelters, snares, bows, etc. but here's an article that teaches we should be less concerned about doing something than about doing nothing at all. It's a great article but be prepared to think outside your paradigm.

http://www.primitive.org/nothing.htm

Tony uk
12-28-2007, 07:50 PM
A nice article, Thanks Rick :D Yo Da Man

Smok
12-29-2007, 04:41 AM
I would have read it but :rolleyes: I was practicing the art if doing nothing :D NO NO good article

mbarnatl
12-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Two years ago, we had an ice storm... no electric for three days. The only thing I had to do was bring in the wood for heat and cook food. The daughters and I, just basically play cards, read books, talked and slept. I had been prepared so there was nothing else to do when the storm hit. We actually had a great time and it was funny to hear all the others complain/horror stories when I went to work after the storm.

woodwose
12-29-2007, 09:04 PM
One of the reasons I am a survivalist is that I like to go out into the wilderness (the environment that we are all put in) and discover the provision for me that is there. By this article is shown that the hunter/gatherer is in the same mind set that I am. Take advantage of the items provided and be happy with that. In living that way a person would be grateful and humbled which is a good balance to life.

Rick, you should read my blog entry on 'Survival of a People'... That will give you another perspective of how modern indians are surviving in this day and age...

Rick
12-30-2007, 09:35 AM
Excellent blog, Woodwose. Sadly on the mark, I think.

When I taught college English I was blessed to have a young lady in my class that was full bloodied Navajo, straight from the reservation in Arizona. Her English was a bit clumsy because she had spoken Navajo all her life and been taught the rules of the Navajo language, which are quite different from formal English. It forced me to go on quite a learning mission in order to teach her. I had to take a crash course, if you will, in formal Navajo so I could "translate" the rules of English.

My quest took me to a number of individuals in the Navajo Nation that were so helpful, including Karletta 'Daane' Chief who was an invaluable help. I learned a deep appreciation for a language designed to paint a picture in the mind rather than our language that is far more mechanical in structure.

As it turned out, the young lady was one of the best writers in the class. She was quite gifted. In truth, I think I learned more from that class than she did.

On the subject of the thread. I try to gather as I walk rather than go searching for something. I'll pick plants or birch bark or tinder fungus as I go. When it's time to make camp, I usually have acquired many of the things I need.

Jay
12-31-2007, 02:22 PM
Doing animal research in the wild will teach anyone the art of doing nothing. sometimes you just have to sit still for hours in order to just catch a glimpse of you quarry. it surely taught me patience. In my experience, most people are unable to sit still. they fidgit, talk, cough etc etc..
If you want to spend time in nature, you need to be still. do nothing. just be! it can bring wonderful rewards. (hope this makes sense..... or maybe I had too much moonshine!)

pgvoutdoors
12-31-2007, 03:01 PM
Nice article, fun reading. I strongly believe in the learning of the different levels of survival; bare bones, assisted survival, to primitive living. Much of the survival training I teach is based on a forty eight hour window. The primitive living training goes totally the other way by learning a multitude of skills. The hunter-gatherer method I taught in the Corps as part of a survive, escape, and evade program. Movement is usually a must under combat conditions.

Anyway the above article is a good reminder for all of us that self educate or educate others to learn to do with as little as possible as it can save your life one day.

Sarge47
12-31-2007, 03:06 PM
I've been "doing nothing" with this thread. Never thought of it as an "art" though.:rolleyes:

Jay
12-31-2007, 03:52 PM
I've been "doing nothing" with this thread. Never thought of it as an "art" though.:rolleyes:

Well now you know Sarge! You are an artist!

Two Rivers
12-31-2007, 09:31 PM
As I sit here on the couch, doing nothing and reading these posts. I realize what an art form this doing nothing really is. I'm good, no...gifted at it. Realizing how good I am at it, the words of my Dad came back to me..." You should be an artist,...You draw flies real well !"

Smok
01-01-2008, 01:40 AM
As we have all said time and time again practice, practice , practice ... It is the only way to become truly great in the art we all would love to master "NOTHING "

Elkchsr
01-05-2008, 03:57 AM
This is a great article

There is more to this than just conserving energy

One learns to become more in tune with Mother Earth when they sit back and do nothing

As you become more in tune, you start to listen to the spirits that inhabit your surroundings

Only then, can you start to become more one with the Earth and at peace

Jay
01-05-2008, 04:13 AM
There is more to this than just conserving energy

One learns to become more in tune with Mother Earth when they sit back and do nothing

As you become more in tune, you start to listen to the spirits that inhabit your surroundings

Only then, can you start to become more one with the Earth and at peace

I agree totally. Not only are you at peace with mother nature you are also at peace with your self.

the more you are in tune with nature the more sensitive you are to its moods and vagaries. you also get a lot of warnings of impending danger, such as predatiory animals, weather changes etc

Listening is the key....and sometimes it has nothing to do with your ears.

dilligaf2u2
01-10-2008, 10:12 AM
If doing nothing is an art! I am Rembrandt.

I am retired and live as such. After the 2 hours a day of honey doo's, I don't have a lot to do. I got into camping to give me something to keep me busy now that I can no longer fish. I got into survival many years ago when the US Army in their infinite wisdom sent me to every course they offered at the time.

I do a lot of camping in the spring, summer and fall. In winter, I get gear ready for the next season and thank God I only have to winter camp if I want too.

This winter I have had 2 pre-school grand daughters to keep me busy.

Don

Beo
01-10-2008, 12:10 PM
I don't know, I have a problem doing nothing or just sitting around, it makes me tired and then I go to sleep (have that mastered) so I guess sitting around doing nothing I don't do cause then I'm sleeping and that is doing something, its sleeping :D

Elkchsr
01-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Beo...

It can actually be an art form to do nothing, but in all actuality, (as I tell the kids around me when they say their doing nothing) it's impossible to do "nothing"

In this quiet time when you’re sitting 'doing nothing'

Quiet your inner self and start paying attention to the world around you

Scents
Sounds
Sights

You may start to see a world that is present but modern man doesn't see much of :)

Beo
01-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Elkchsr, bro, that was a joke.

Elkchsr
01-11-2008, 12:58 PM
:p My bad :D

RBB
01-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Used to notice this when we'd go hunting with my Ojibwe cousins. We'd have a canoe full. They'd have an old rifle, a kettle, and a piece of canvas - and they'd get more deer.

Also notice it walking through woods with friends. They go as fast as they can go. I like to meander around, stop often, see and hear what is going on.

smudd55
04-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Great article. Thanks for sharing.

Justin Case
04-17-2011, 02:27 PM
We've spent a lot of time talking about how to build shelters, snares, bows, etc. but here's an article that teaches we should be less concerned about doing something than about doing nothing at all. It's a great article but be prepared to think outside your paradigm.

http://www.primitive.org/nothing.htm
good article :)
Pretty much like homeless people do today..