PDA

View Full Version : Question about tracking

Yakov
08-19-2010, 08:06 PM
Just a shot in the dark here, my friend has lost a cat. About how far/fast can an overweight, domesticated, female cat travel per day?

Rick
08-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Pretty far in a car but it's hard for them to get a driver's license.

The cat will wander back home when it gets hungry. How long has it been gone?

Yakov
08-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Going on 3 days. The friend of mine is really distraught about it. I figure someone ought to make a radius of travel for the critter as to where to look/check craigslist, etc.. It shouldn't be too hard since her home is situated on a beach...lol

LowKey
08-19-2010, 08:13 PM
As far as the coyote that ate it can get in a day.

I drive through a suburb of Boston on my way in to work. There's always missing cat posters on the tele poles. Occasionally a small dog too. Was going by a kid's ballfield/park early one morning last week and saw this very nice (and healthy) looking coyote padding across the grass... They're everywhere and they're bold.

If the cat can't run, or get its butt up a tree, it'll be breakfast.

welderguy
08-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Is she fixed? If no then she will be home when she is out of heat.

Rick
08-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Does she have a collar and/or RFID implanted? If she does then try the dog pound. If not then she could have gotten hit.

Yakov
08-19-2010, 08:34 PM
I really appreciate the compassion/help

Yeah Lowkey that's always a chance, but maybe not.

She's chipped, fixed, and all that jazz. I figure probably about a 1/2 to 1 mile per day neandering and moving at night. It's really hot, and if it's used to A/C she's probably gonna be super lazy and do less than that. I like tracking and have a lot of books and a good mindset for it, but they live on the other side of the country. So all I can do is explain to them what to look for in cat hair markings on trees etc., tracks, and poop.

LowKey
08-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Whew! unless they're out in the sticks, a single cat in a neighborhood of cats would be kinda hard to track.

Sorry I can't be more sympathetic. I like cats. I have two of them. But I know what would happen to my lazy one if he stayed outside overnight. No doubt whatsoever.

Justin Case
08-19-2010, 08:44 PM
As far as the coyote that ate it can get in a day.

I drive through a suburb of Boston on my way in to work. There's always missing cat posters on the tele poles. Occasionally a small dog too. Was going by a kid's ballfield/park early one morning last week and saw this very nice (and healthy) looking coyote padding across the grass... They're everywhere and they're bold.

If the cat can't run, or get its butt up a tree, it'll be breakfast.

Beat me to it,, Yep, about as far as the coyote carries it. sorry. Cats are VERY territorial, They do not usually run off,,

Camp10
08-19-2010, 08:45 PM
She hasnt gone far, if she is normally an inside cat then she is probably just being a cat and hiding someplace. Put out some of her favorite food and she might come back. If she is normally an outside cat then she is somewhere in her territory more than likely and she is either fighting with other cats in her territory or perhaps lost to preditors or hit by a vehicle.

I'd be happy to give you a replacement but you cant tell my wife where her cat went to!:innocent:

Yakov
08-19-2010, 08:50 PM
She hasnt gone far, if she is normally an inside cat then she is probably just being a cat and hiding someplace. Put out some of her favorite food and she might come back. If she is normally an outside cat then she is somewhere in her territory more than likely and she is either fighting with other cats in her territory or perhaps lost to preditors or hit by a vehicle.

I'd be happy to give you a replacement but you cant tell my wife where her cat went to!:innocent:

LOL yeah. That's what I figure. Lazy fat cat is probably outside somewhere being a cat. But.....what we have here is a learning experience for tracking domestic cats!

Maybe I'm weird, but when I find poop outside I think to myself what kind of poop it is based on its segmentation pointedness and such.

Justin Case
08-19-2010, 08:53 PM
LOL yeah. That's what I figure. Lazy fat cat is probably outside somewhere being a cat. But.....what we have here is a learning experience for tracking domestic cats!

Maybe I'm weird, but when I find poop outside I think to myself what kind of poop it is based on its segmentation pointedness and such.

If its partially buried, its probably from a cat :innocent:

Yakov
08-19-2010, 08:55 PM
If its partially buried, its probably from a cat :innocent:

I don't know, I found some feral cat poop on my front porch one day this spring.

finallyME
08-20-2010, 10:02 AM

When I find poop that is not in my dogs area, I think "WHO THE %#&^$*&^#* LET THEIR DOG/CAT POOP ON MY YARD!!!!