PDA

View Full Version : The Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack... My Review

Beo
08-19-2010, 07:48 PM
So I got a Jumbo Pack a while back and this is just my review of the bag, other than I love this pack it is awesome for what I need it for. As with any backpack, shoulder bag, day hiker, BOB, you gotta get a pack you need and that suits you. Now I got the Jumbo in the ACU pattern because I wanted it, there are a variety of colors from black, OD green, khaki, foilage green, EMT Orange, red, royal blue, navy blue, and safety yellow and any combonation in between by mixing these colors.
I needed a bag for CCW and this fit the bill for me as it holds everything from a small frame handgun to large frame handgun.
The Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack has a main compartment 9 inches x 8 inches x 3 inches with front and back subdividers. This Jumbo Versipack main compartment is over 38% larger than the Fatboy Versipack. In addition, it has three zippered accessory pockets, two sleeve pockets, and one drawstring pocket. The Jumbo Versipack has three places for modular expansion. This pack also has an external keyper on shoulder strap for gloves and internal silent keyper for keys.
Side B : 7" x 3.5" diameter with cinch (can be compacted for low profile carry)
Top of lid pocket : 6.5" x 3" x 1"
Shoulder : Integral 2" strap (min 33" strap alone / max 56" strap alone ; min 45.5" loop / max 69" loop) with 2" non-slip shoulder pad
Empty Weight: 1.8 lbs
Attach : Velcro quick release belt loop
Point (1) The JUMBO's main compartment is over 38% larger than the Fatboy. In addition, it has three zippered accessory pockets, two sleeve pockets, and one drawstring pocket fitted for a 32oz/1L Nalgene water bottle or a radio. The Jumbo has three places for modular expansion with other Maxpedition accessories using 3" TacTie™. External keyper on shoulder strap for gloves and internal silent keyper for keys.
Point (2) The JUMBO's rear slip compartment is now equipped with large loop Velcro patches to accommodate our Hook & Loop Modular Accessories (e.g. #3501 Universal Modular Holster, sold separately). This allows the user to position their concealed carry firearm for a quick strong side draw or weak side cross draw.

Product Materials:
1000-Denier water and abrasion resistant light-weight ballistic nylon fabric
Teflon® fabric protector for grime resistance and easy maintenance
high strength zippers and zipper tracks
UTX-Duraflex nylon buckles for low sound closures
Triple polyurethane coated for water resistance
High tensile strength nylon webbing
High tensile strength composite nylon thread (stronger than ordinary industry standard nylon thread)
#AS-100 high grade closed-cell foam padding material for superior shock protection.
Internal seams taped and finished
Paracord zipper pulls (Why use zippers with paracord pulls? Answer: 550 paracord is durable, silent, readily available, and easily field replaceable. A paracord knot grabs well even with gloved hands and are pronounced enough to find in the dark.)
Stress points double stitched, Bartacked or "Box-and-X" stitched for added strength

Cleaning Instructions:
MAXPEDITION's nylon fabric is treated with Dupont Teflon for superb water and grime resistance.
To clean, simply wipe down with a damp cloth. Allow gear to dry naturally. Do not machine wash.
Do not use detergent or bleach.

Just my thoughts
Beo,

Winter
08-19-2010, 07:50 PM
That's a really cool purse.

crashdive123
08-19-2010, 09:12 PM
I've got both the Fatboy and the Jumbo. I use the Jumbo daily. Like em both, but have grown to prefer the Jumbo.

Beo
08-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Purse? Naw... more like a MANBAG... lol

Justin Case
08-19-2010, 09:29 PM
I wish I had one ! Thats a nice rig.

oldsoldier
08-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Agreed I have the UMG version in black. It's a well made bag and has seen some abuse and still does. I carry it with me at work everyday. It contains a small FAK, my uniden 40 channel hand held CB, my 200 channel uniden scanner, my solar cell phone charger, knife sharpener, 4" para frame folding knife, car cords for cell phone, 1 liter water bottle, small "pocket" pheonix arms .22 pistol, 2 extra mags., a compass, and a "lifeboat" survival bar. If I remember correctly i bought mine at cheaper than dirt for $39.95 about 5-6 months ago.

Rick
08-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Okay. I've stayed away from this thread and all the others on this type of pack, as well. This looks like the most uncomfortable pack made. All the weight is on one side. Doesn't it make you feel lopsided?

I know it's adjustable but how far down on your hip does it sit?

crashdive123
08-21-2010, 07:57 PM
It's only as heavy as you make it. I find it quite comfortable. I know one forum member bought one on my recommendation and couldn't disagree with me more.

When I do put a few extras in it, I use the loop on the back to attach it to my belt, thereby taking most of the weight off my shoulder. I'll bring a couple in October so people can try them on.

Rick
08-21-2010, 08:16 PM
That would be cool if you think of it. I like the fact that your carry is there by your hand but it just looks uncomfortable.

oldsoldier
08-22-2010, 09:32 PM
it just looks uncomfortable.

IMO they do take a little getting use to. But after using it for a while it's not bad plus as crash said the belt strap helps a lot.

Beo
09-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Rick, as Crash said its as heavy as you make it. I personally fill it up pretty good and carry it crossways on my right side. I like ccw aspect and the main compartment has a waterproof liner and it holds a ton of kit.
I usually put a 32 ounce watter bottle in the bottle carrier and slide chemlites into some of the holders, 550 cord, and my first aid kit along with my seal pup knife, matches, compass and other kit. It actually rides easy and comfortable for me, the maxpedition site offers a ton of bags and packs that are in my opinion better than most, and the backpack is really nice. Plus they have add on packs that attach to most of the packs.

Beo,

Sourdough
09-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Beo, thanks for the good review. My problem is that I am addicted to speed'walking, and I like to walk fast and swing my arms high. This makes having anything on my side not work for this exercise, even a holster on the side disrupts the rhythm. I think if I lived in town and went to the malls or zoo that it would work for me for hanging-out, but not for my exercise program, and that is where I need to have a firearm.

Rick
09-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Check out the Camelbak Goblin for conceal carry. It's a butt pack but it rides well in the front, too. I don't mind a .45 in it but I'm sure you have something a tad more noisy.

http://www.uscav.com/prodinfo/enlargedinsets/30497aL.jpg

Camelbak also makes the Demon that has concealed carry built in. I don't own one.

http://www.castlerocktactical.com/images/camelbak/Camelbak_Demon_Black_t.jpghttp://www.uscav.com/prodinfo/enlargedinsets/28561aL.jpg

Sourdough
09-16-2010, 07:55 PM
I have been using a old North Face "Wallaby" Lumbar pack. I don't think they still make it.