PDA

View Full Version : True Grit

RangerXanatos
08-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Like many others here I'm sure of, I like the older western movies. Mainly the ones with Clint Eastwood. But I saw where they are planning on releasing a remake of True Grit with Jeff Bridges playing the part of Marshal Reuben J. Cogburn that was originally done by John Wayne. It comes out this Christmas, December 25, 2010. It's one that's going on my "to see" list.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1403865/

Justin Case
08-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Like many others here I'm sure of, I like the older western movies. Mainly the ones with Clint Eastwood. But I saw where they are planning on releasing a remake of True Grit with Jeff Bridges playing the part of Marshal Reuben J. Cogburn that was originally done by John Wayne. It comes out this Christmas, December 25, 2010. It's one that's going on my "to see" list.

Thanks for the Heads up :) I Love Westerns , we are overdue for a new one .

Rick
08-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Sorry, but that's a recipe for failure. John Wayne "owns" several roles and no one could ever fill his boots. Marshal Cogburn is one of them. Sgt. Stryker is another.

John Wayne movies are like Buffalo Nickels. Only the dates change. The Duke is the Duke no matter what show he played in.

Pal334
08-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Heretics!!!! The Duke is Rooster Cogburn! I have to agree, is a formula for failure . But, its their money, just won't add mine to their profits

Rick
08-19-2010, 06:41 PM
He did an interview in Playboy that proved he was probably the same in real life as he was in the movies. One of my favorite quotes from him.

"I eat as much as I ever did, I drink more than I should, and my sex life is none of your god****** business."

Erratus Animus
08-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Hmm Flexed the Ol, Mighty Mind Muscle thinking the script up for that huh. I personally believe that you should never mess with Icons. When I think Jeff Bridges I think ; keep flipping the channel or marshmallow man :innocent: Guess I am getting old :tongue_smilie:

Justin Case
08-19-2010, 06:57 PM
I heard a couple say " Crazy Heart" was pretty good, The trailer looks ok,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0349E7kFEM

NightShade
08-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Sorry, but that's a recipe for failure. John Wayne "owns" several roles and no one could ever fill his boots. Marshal Cogburn is one of them. Sgt. Stryker is another.

John Wayne movies are like Buffalo Nickels. Only the dates change. The Duke is the Duke no matter what show he played in.

I hafta agree

Rick
08-19-2010, 07:38 PM
I like Jeff Bridges but even Eastwood can't pull off the Duke.

From the Sands of Iwo Jima:

Sgt. Stryker: "Guys make mistakes but every one we make, a stack of chips goes with it. We make a mistake and some guy don't walk away! For evermore he don't walk away. I guess all we can do is just take it......and hope we don't make the same mistake again."

kyratshooter
08-19-2010, 08:07 PM
I thought at one time that Tom Selleck might nearly come up to the standards of the Duke. He has not quite made it.

Eastwood was good, but not the Duke.

Jeff Bridges? Perhaps for Brokeback Mt, but not True Grit!

crashdive123
08-19-2010, 08:27 PM
At least the didn't cast Paul Reubens.

LowKey
08-19-2010, 08:31 PM
When you can't think up something original, you can always think of doing a remake. :rolleyes:

roar-k
08-19-2010, 08:54 PM
My pappaw may finally rollover and die because of this.

coyote hunter
08-20-2010, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=Rick;241877]I like Jeff Bridges but even Eastwood can't pull off the Duke.

I agree !! If they were going to make a new western why not spend the money and get Sam Elliott to star in it ? :sailor:

wareagle69
08-21-2010, 07:06 PM
can't picture any one else playing JW MC CLINTOCK, ole john and maureen what a duo
as far as modern westerns tom sellock and sam elliot make good cowboys

hoosierarcher
08-23-2010, 05:13 PM
can't picture any one else playing JW MC CLINTOCK, ole john and maureen what a duo
as far as modern westerns tom sellock and sam elliot make good cowboys
Sorry but it was G.W. McClintock
short for George Washington McClintock.
Jeff Bridges is Dude Lebowski not Rooster Cogburn.

letslearntogether47
08-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Sorry but it was G.W. McClintock
short for George Washington McClintock.
Jeff Bridges is Dude Lebowski not Rooster Cogburn.

Not according to this.
This is another reason to boycott Hollywood.

Justin Case
08-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Not according to this.
This is another reason to boycott Hollywood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLintock!

gryffynklm
08-23-2010, 09:02 PM
I'll wait for you guys to review it. I don't want the movie ruined by watching a mess. Like Rick said Duke owns that role in my mind.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-23-2010, 09:10 PM
I like the response I get when I ask my peers if they know what Grit is....

Asger
08-24-2010, 05:27 AM
Clint Eastwood is the coolest man to ever live, 'The good, the bad and the ugly' is in my top 3 movies DEFINATELY.

Rick
08-24-2010, 07:23 AM
Don't let Chuck Norris read that. He might kill you with a thought.

Asger
08-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Clint Eastwood would have shot him before Chuck would start thinking

Justin Case
01-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Well, I just seen the new "True Grit",,, you all were right, The original is much MUCH better !

Sarge47
01-01-2011, 07:53 PM
They ought to give Jeff Bridges a party for that role...a "neck-tie party!" :hang:
Just look at the cast in the original, Kim Darby was outstanding as Mattie Ross, then you also had Robert Duval, Dennis Hopper, & Strother Martin. The only better actor that I can see is Matt Damon taking the role that Glen Campbell did. Glen can sure sing purty, but his acting sucks. :no:

Let's face it, the Duke's boots will be really hard to fill.

Justin Case
01-01-2011, 07:58 PM
The only "good acting in the new version is by the girl,, she did a pretty good job,, as for the movie, I almost stopped watching mid movie if that tells you anything,, I just could not help picturing John Wayne through out,,

Rick
01-01-2011, 08:20 PM
I've actually heard rave reviews on it from several different critics. I've also read that it was written directly from the novel and didn't depend on the previous movie version. I do want to see it. I like the cast.

Justin Case
01-01-2011, 08:22 PM
I've actually heard rave reviews on it from several different critics. I've also read that it was written directly from the novel and didn't depend on the previous movie version. I do want to see it. I like the cast.

Its almost exactly like the original word for word,, the very beginning is a "Little" different,, very little.

Justin Case
01-01-2011, 08:26 PM
For example,, all this stuff is EXACTLY the same, word for word,, http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi4043243801/

Rick
01-01-2011, 08:28 PM
That's not a plot spoiler is it? 'Cause I'm not gonna look if it is. I'm curious to see if this one ends like the other one. NO! Don't tell me.

Justin Case
01-01-2011, 08:35 PM
That's not a plot spoiler is it? 'Cause I'm not gonna look if it is. I'm curious to see if this one ends like the other one. NO! Don't tell me.

lol,, its the trailer from the original,,, Ok, I wont "Tell" you, but I have already answered that question ;)

Ted
01-01-2011, 10:02 PM
At least the didn't cast Paul Reubens.

LOL! I was thinking Jim Carrey must have been busy!!!!

Justin Case
01-02-2011, 09:56 AM

If you seen the original , it will be spoiled !

beetlejuicex3
01-02-2011, 09:57 AM
I heard a couple say " Crazy Heart" was pretty good, The trailer looks ok,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0349E7kFEM

Crazy Heart is one, long cliche. Don't bother with this one.

I didn't miss John Wayne as Cogburn, personally. Anticlimactic is the best word for the film. Especially if you re expecting a typical Coen Brothers movie.

hoosierarcher
01-03-2011, 01:33 AM
Well I broke down and went and saw it. It's just a mite different. The best lines from the original are from the novel so they are in the remake. Jeff Bridges did a passable job and Matt Damon was actually better the Campbell. The costumes were more historically accurate. The guy that played the role originated by Struther Martin wasn't a bad actor but he was near as good as Mr. Martin nor anywhere near as humorous.
If you haven't seen the original you'd like this movie. It wasn't offensive in it's changes. One elderly gentleman on the way out said to me, "Did you notice that the fellow playing Lucky Ned Pepper, well if you closed your eyes you'd a swore it was Robert Duvall's voice from the first movie?"
He wasn't far off the mark. Anyway I'll say this, as the young men in their teens now are in general not interested in the films their grandfathers watched, having Westerns even remakes so that they can see the American ideals that the western embodies I'm glad for it.

rwc1969
01-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Well call me un-american as I can't stand the Duke. Clint Eastwood is much more my style and probably a bit more realistic.

I think this movie might be a good one. I don't get caught up in the fanatacism of actors and such, so I might be a bit biased.

crashdive123
01-03-2011, 03:11 PM
When I go to a movie, which isn't that often, I go for entertainment value only. Is it better or worse than the origina? Eh. As long I'm entertained then I figure I got my monies worth.