PDA

View Full Version : Honey

abe
08-18-2010, 08:33 AM
I've heard that using homegrown honey is a good way of easing allergies. What is a recommended daily intake?

crashdive123
08-18-2010, 08:38 AM
I don't have alergies, but know people that swear by it. They just take a teaspon in the AM and use it as a sugar substitue in some of their food.

BENESSE
08-18-2010, 08:42 AM
I have allergies but unfortunately it hasn't worked for me.
Could be a certain type of honey, say buckwheat vs. clover is more effective, just not sure. (tried both though)

crashdive123
08-18-2010, 08:44 AM
I think the key may be raw honey. Once it's heated in the pasturization process it supposedly kills off the things that help.

abe
08-18-2010, 09:52 AM
I have raw honey, several people in my area have bee hives. I had a quart of honey given to me by a buddies brother, and he swears by it. I will try a couple teaspoons a day and see how well it works, thanx.

crashdive123
08-18-2010, 12:59 PM
What allergies do you suffer from? The reason I ask - for this to work (again - just what I've been told) the honey needs to be made from the pollen of the type of plant that you are allergic to.

BENESSE
08-18-2010, 03:52 PM
What allergies do you suffer from? The reason I ask - for this to work (again - just what I've been told) the honey needs to be made from the pollen of the type of plant that you are allergic to.

Dust mites, mold, cat dander. :tongue_smilie:

crashdive123
08-18-2010, 05:17 PM
I'll keep my eye out for some moldy, dust covered cat dander honey.

BENESSE
08-18-2010, 06:12 PM
I'll keep my eye out for some moldy, dust covered cat dander honey.

That would be the bees knees!

Camp10
08-18-2010, 06:52 PM
I've heard that using homegrown honey is a good way of easing allergies. What is a recommended daily intake?

I think the key may be raw honey. Once it's heated in the pasturization process it supposedly kills off the things that help.

This worked for me. I have been able to cut way back on honey with very little problems from my allergies. I put it in my cereal in the mornings or eat a peanut butter sandwich with honey instead of jelly. I might just eat a spoonful right from the jar. I never over loaded on it, just a few spoonfuls each day. It took a few months for me to notice it was working but I can go most of the year without any troubles with allergies. There are still a few days in the spring and in the fall where I am coughing and sneezing but not as bad and only a few days!

Crash is right though, it works best if it is raw honey and preferably from bees that are in your area (making honey from the same pollen that might be causing your reactions).

Rick
08-18-2010, 06:59 PM
When I see that title I have this urge to say, "Yes, dear?"

Camp10
08-18-2010, 07:04 PM
When I see that title I have this urge to say, "Yes, dear?"

Didnt know you and Abe were that close!:innocent:

Rick
08-18-2010, 07:07 PM
I'll answer to anything. If you've been called half the names I have....honey sounds pretty good.

Camp10
08-18-2010, 07:11 PM
I'll answer to anything. If you've been called half the names I have....honey sounds pretty good.

I did non-pay disconnects for 6 years as a service worker, I might have hit that half way point.

Rick
08-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Been there, done that, faced that shotgun.