PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning cookware in the field

Justin Case
08-14-2010, 01:53 PM
I have always hated trying to clean cookware in the field, Its black from soot and always seems to have burnt on food, how do you clean your mess kit when there is no water supply and a simple wipe out is not enough ? I have used sand before to do the scrubbing then just wiped the pots out after, do you all have any Tricks to share ? :)

gryffynklm
08-14-2010, 02:25 PM
I have used sand and made a scouring brush from a bundle of tall grass. Take a 3/4 inch diameter hand full of grass about 12" long and fold it over. Then take a length of grass or twined grass and whip from the folded end down two or three inches and tie it off. Cut the brush about 3" from the wrap. This will last a while. If you are in a hurry like i am I just take the folded grass and scour the bottom with some sand. Rinse in a stream or lake if you have one. I then heat the pan over the fire to kill any buggies from the water and sand. May not be the best thing to do but I've never gotten sick.

rwc1969
08-14-2010, 02:37 PM
I use plants, but am careful as to not burn food or slop it all over and I don't worry too much about the soot that don't easily rub off with grasses, etc.

I do try to have soap and water when camping though and after I wash the big stuff off with the plants I give a quick wipe down with a light soapy water and light wipe to rinse.

Wipe off with weeds

Wipe off again with weeds or rag and light soapy water

Wipe off once more with weeds/ rags and pure water.

That way i don't waste drinking water and don't have to lug as much around. If there's a creek or pond, usually is, I wash right in there and don't worry about contaminants because I'll be heating those pans, etc. later when I cook.

If you can keep the flames from licking the pan/ etc. it won't get nearly as much soot on it too. Although, I don't seem to have much of a problem with loose soot.

ONLY
08-14-2010, 03:11 PM
If your not in a hurry just put it on top of a ant pile and let them do the work.

Justin Case
08-14-2010, 03:40 PM
If your not in a hurry just put it on top of a ant pile and let them do the work.

hey,, Thats a Great Idea !! :)

hunter63
08-14-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm kinda a sand/weed/grass scrubber, my self.

Bulrushes work well as they have silica in them, but if you find them it's most likely near water.

Been told that rubbing soap on the pan bottoms (outside) will keep off the soot, but haven't done that in a while, as you still need water to wash it off.

Cast iron, I generally boil out then reseason with cooking oil.

Rick
08-14-2010, 05:33 PM
You can wipe soap on the outside of the pot and the soot won't stick to it. I asked the same question a couple of years ago and received the above answer. I've tried it and it does work. Not 100% but it does a pretty good job. If you are cooking with an alcohol stove you can add some water to the alcohol and it won't soot.

For burned on food I generally add a bit of soap and let it soak, overnight if possible. Campsuds does a pretty good job cleaning gunk.

Justin Case
08-14-2010, 05:36 PM
You can wipe soap on the outside of the pot and the soot won't stick to it. I asked the same question a couple of years ago and received the above answer. I've tried it and it does work. Not 100% but it does a pretty good job. If you are cooking with an alcohol stove you can add some water to the alcohol and it won't soot.

For burned on food I generally add a bit of soap and let it soak, overnight if possible. Campsuds does a pretty good job cleaning gunk.

No foolin ? I never would have guessed that ,, does that work with oil lamps too ? or just alcohol ?

Rick
08-14-2010, 05:50 PM
I've never tried it with oil. I've seen 10%-20% water to alcohol. I've never figured out how you calculate that in the field. I've used alcohol stoves in the past (Trangia) and have added a small amount of water to them. I did see a noticeable difference in the amount of soot build up but alcohol was just to inconvenient for me so I use an MSR Pocket Rocket now. Not much soot with gas. More smokey than soot.

Justin Case
08-14-2010, 06:26 PM
I realized after i logged off that oil and water dont mix but water and alcohol do, this is why you can put some alcohol in your tank if there is water in the gasoline, The water will mix with the alcohol and burn, i dont think putting it in an oil lamp would be a very good idea :)

crashdive123
08-14-2010, 06:31 PM
That's also why some unrefined people add water to their Scotch.

Winter
08-14-2010, 06:43 PM
I rarely clean my cookware in the field. My small rat dog Abby usually takes care of that and I just rinse out the dog spit.

hunter63
08-14-2010, 07:17 PM
I rarely clean my cookware in the field. My small rat dog Abby usually takes care of that and I just rinse out the dog spit.
LOL

....As clean as cold water will get them...........Here boy, come on Clean Water, good boy ...got some dishes for ya.......

Winter
08-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Bacteria, the other white meat.

BENESSE
08-14-2010, 07:37 PM

You know, I never understood that. Or soda for that matter. (Yuck!)
I don't even want ice to dilute it. But then that's just me and Mr. B.
Never ever met anyone who felt the same way.

justin_baker
08-14-2010, 08:10 PM
I hate when soot on the bottom of your pot rubs all over your clothes :S

Rick
08-14-2010, 08:12 PM
You ever pick up a pot and do whatever. A few minutes later you wipe your face and everyone starts laughing. You just transferred the soot from the pot to your face. Been there.....

BENESSE
08-14-2010, 08:12 PM
At least you've got a pot to pi$$ in. :)

crashdive123
08-14-2010, 08:14 PM
You ever pick up a pot and do whatever. A few minutes later you wipe your face and everyone starts laughing. You just transferred the soot from the pot to your face. Been there.....

Just tell em that you're going tactical. Next step is to make your gillie suit over top of your wet suit.:innocent:

Rick
08-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Man vs. Gunk

Right. When you find yourself in the bush, mate, and your cookware has gone simply rancid you can always pee in the pot. Slosh it around a bit and have a bit of a go at it. Once you get past the smell the taste isn't too bad.

Justin Case
08-14-2010, 08:24 PM
I would rather use weeds and sand thank you ,

your_comforting_company
08-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Despicable! Abominable! Outrageous!
NEVER ruin a good scotch by adding ANYTHING to it. A lot of work and pride went into making that flavor. Would you go finger painting seagulls on the statue of David or the Thinker? GAH!
:art:

You know, I never understood that. Or soda for that matter. (Yuck!)
I don't even want ice to dilute it. But then that's just me and Mr. B.
Never ever met anyone who felt the same way.
Now you have! If you want it cold, stick it in the freezer!

At least you've got a pot to pi$$ in. :)
Don't remember if it was hunter or sourdough, or who pointed out, that saying came from ye olde tanning days. Families would save urine in a pot and sell it to a tannery. If you had to do this for money, you were "p*ss poor", and if you were any poorer than that you "didn't have a pot to p*ss in". Thanks to whomever brought that to my attention.

I would think that if you didn't have a nearby water supply, peeing in the pot to rinse it would be a good alternative to wash out the sand and grass. It has never occured to me what to do, as we always seem to either have a stream nearby, or a water supply with us (when not camping near water). You could heat it again on the fire to kill any baddies that might be in the urine. I don't necessarily LIKE the idea, but it is a good alternative, I suppose, for rinsing.

Batch
08-15-2010, 01:52 PM
We very rarely use pots and pans. Canned goods get cooked in the can in the coals. Meat gets cooked on a grill over the flame or scooped out coals.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/bigcypress/CIMG0557.jpg

Justin Case
08-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Now thats what I call Roughing it , Did you snare that meat ? :innocent: (looks good !)

Batch
08-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Snared it off of the meat section at the store. Chicken legs and breast cutlets smothered in a habenero mustard with collard greens and corn. Actually, there is a fire ring at that site. That's a luxury.:) We was camping luxuriously!

BTW, as we are talking about cleaning up. I am on the volunteer collard green clean up crew!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/bigcypress/CIMG0560.jpg

Rick
08-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Batch, you know the interior of those cans are lined with an epoxy based resin, right?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=earth-talk-can-dont

crashdive123
08-15-2010, 05:23 PM
It cuts down on the hot sauce.:innocent:

rwc1969
08-16-2010, 07:24 AM
Habanero mustard, epoxy based resin, what's the difference. :0

finallyME
08-16-2010, 04:26 PM
I use sand. Sometimes I do use my dog. Sometimes I cook in a bag, so no clean-up. But, for the black stuff on the bottom, sand.

NCO
08-16-2010, 06:10 PM
What about me. For the inside, a spruce branch(small one). You can scrape stuff with it and use the needle end as a dish brush. Ad some water and you are good to go. For the underside, sand.

Rick
08-16-2010, 06:11 PM
'Bout time you show up. Where you been?

NCO
08-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Living a life... Nah, breaking up with "almost-a-wife" and stuff. Moving around.

Rick
08-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Life doesn't play fair.

Justin Case
08-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Living a life... Nah, breaking up with "almost-a-wife" and stuff. Moving around.

Dodged That bullet :innocent:

NCO
08-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Dodged That bullet :innocent:

Haha, almost last minute.

klickitat
08-16-2010, 06:26 PM
I like to use sand, grass and fire to clean my cook gear. I do not like to use soap at all with cookware, because of the danger of not getting all the soap rinsed out. Not that it would happen very often, but diarrhea is a serious condition in the bush.

As for the scotch thing, well I think the Irish and particularly Mr. Jameson are geniuses. They blended the sweat nectar of the gods so that it perfectly balances out as the ice melts. Yum. Dang! it's only 3:30.

BENESSE
08-16-2010, 06:30 PM
I like to use sand, grass and fire to clean my cook gear. I do not like to use soap at all with cookware, because of the danger of not getting all the soap rinsed out. Not that it would happen very often, but diarrhea is a serious condition in the bush.

As for the scotch thing, well I think the Irish and particularly Mr. Jameson are geniuses. They blended the sweat nectar of the gods so that it perfectly balances out as the ice melts. Yum. Dang! it's only 3:30.

But it's 5 pm somewhere. :)

klickitat
08-16-2010, 06:31 PM
But it's 5 pm somewhere. :)

Get behind me Satan. :drool:

Rick
08-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Exactly where do you want me to stand?

Batch
08-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Batch, you know the interior of those cans are lined with an epoxy based resin, right?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=earth-talk-can-dont

"As for what metals may be leaching into your canned food, it depends. In the U.S., most food cans are made of steel while beverage cans are usually made out of aluminum. Chromium and nickel can find their way out of steel, but the amounts would be miniscule to nil. Slightly more troubling is the fact that aluminum—large amounts of which have been linked to nervous system disorders and other health problems—could in theory leach out of cans into their food or drink contents."

I appreciate the heads up Rick. But, I cooking beans, corn and what not in the cans they came in since I was a kid. I'm a gonner. Save yourselves...

You know I am gonna be dead in a hundred and fifty years anyways, right? :innocent:

Justin Case
08-16-2010, 07:59 PM
By the looks of the label on the can you are eating out of here, you didnt cook it very long :innocent:

Batch
08-16-2010, 09:42 PM
By the looks of the label on the can you are eating out of here, you didnt cook it very long :innocent:

Well, I cook it till it boils. I am sorry that the label doesn't reflect your expectations. But, I can assure you that the greens required blowing on to eat. You can see where they were in the coals if you look close enough at the picture with the grill. Coal ain't fire.

Winter
08-16-2010, 10:02 PM
bah, I love dinty moore stew cooked in the can. The plastic won't cook off because liquid is always touching it.

Just like boiling water in a plastic bottle.

Justin Case
08-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Well, I cook it till it boils. I am sorry that the label doesn't reflect your expectations. But, I can assure you that the greens required blowing on to eat. You can see where they were in the coals if you look close enough at the picture with the grill. Coal ain't fire.

I was just funnin with ya :)

welderguy
08-16-2010, 10:46 PM
"As for what metals may be leaching into your canned food, it depends. In the U.S., most food cans are made of steel while beverage cans are usually made out of aluminum. Chromium and nickel can find their way out of steel, but the amounts would be miniscule to nil. Slightly more troubling is the fact that aluminum—large amounts of which have been linked to nervous system disorders and other health problems—could in theory leach out of cans into their food or drink contents."

I appreciate the heads up Rick. But, I cooking beans, corn and what not in the cans they came in since I was a kid. I'm a gonner. Save yourselves...

You know I am gonna be dead in a hundred and fifty years anyways, right? :innocent:

Wow Batch you having health problems, i didnt think you would go that quick.:innocent:

welderguy
08-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Ive always used dirt as a scrubber and soap and water to clean my cook ware in the field.
And I eat out of cans as well as heating it in the can too. And im still ok , or I think I am.

your_comforting_company
08-16-2010, 11:14 PM
eating out of the cans... maybe THAT is what's wrong with me.. gave me this nervous disorder where I can't stand to go to the MALL! hahaha! Oh you said nervous system disorder... nevermind

remember welderguy... crazy people don't know they are crazy!

welderguy
08-16-2010, 11:24 PM
eating out of the cans... maybe THAT is what's wrong with me.. gave me this nervous disorder where I can't stand to go to the MALL! hahaha! Oh you said nervous system disorder... nevermind

I will remember that. that is a very good point

finallyME
08-17-2010, 11:10 AM

Yeah, I am not crazy, it is everyone else who is crazy.

finallyME
08-17-2010, 11:13 AM

The aluminum links to Alzheimer have been found to be false. Also, any can has a plastic liner in it, whether the can is aluminum or steel. Of course, I still use the cans for cooking.

tsitenha
08-18-2010, 04:35 PM
My cooking pots fit into the bottom section of an old pair of used "jean" material made into a bag and that for me is good enough for the outside of the pot. For the inside I carry a brass scrub pad (in the pot when not in use), and preheat the pot before putting in the meal, figure the heat will take care of whatever is left.

hunter63
08-18-2010, 05:47 PM
NOTE, when heating a can of cherry pie filling (swiped from mothers cupboard) in the fire at nite (pretty dark) make sure you OPEN the can prior to heating.

The dark makes it hard to tell if it's just hot filling, or blood after it explodes.
You will only do this once, if you survive the first one.

Batch
08-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Wow Batch you having health problems, i didnt think you would go that quick.:innocent:

I don't know how long I'll live. But, I am willing to bet I will be dead 150 years from now.

I have been cooking in cans for many years and it hasn't affect, affect, affect, affected me at all...:tongue_smilie:

Camp10
08-18-2010, 06:43 PM
I never gave any thought to health problems from cooking in the can. I will leave a can of soup over the pilot on the cook stove at camp when I go hunting and I have some hot soup at the end of the day without having to cook it.

Rick
08-18-2010, 07:06 PM
I don't think the liners have been in cans all that long. I understand the industry is moving to a baked on oleoresinous c-enamel. For some reason I envision some guy painting the inside of the can now.

Camp10
08-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Is this new baked on liner safe to cook in?

Rick
08-18-2010, 07:13 PM
(shrug) I don't think you'll find any can manufacturer that will say it's okay regardless of what they have or don't have inside the can.

Batch
08-18-2010, 09:30 PM
I don't think the liners have been in cans all that long. I understand the industry is moving to a baked on oleoresinous c-enamel. For some reason I envision some guy painting the inside of the can now.

Now we're cooking with oleoresin capsium! :)

Rick
08-18-2010, 10:50 PM
OC to his friends.

finallyME
08-19-2010, 05:36 PM
NOTE, when heating a can of cherry pie filling (swiped from mothers cupboard) in the fire at nite (pretty dark) make sure you OPEN the can prior to heating.

The dark makes it hard to tell if it's just hot filling, or blood after it explodes.
You will only do this once, if you survive the first one.

Yeah, and whatever you do, never bury a can of chili in the fire pit and have the boy scouts build a fire over the top. :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: