PDA

View Full Version : The "Bushcraft Knife"

Erratus Animus
08-14-2010, 11:59 AM
I am curious to know how others define a "bushcraft" knife. I define the Bushcraft knife as a tool with a 5-3" blade and 5-3" handle, Drop, clip, or spear point. 1 1/4 - 3/4 wide and 3/32 - 3/16 thick. Scandi, convex, flat or hollow grinds are fine

IMO a bushcraft knife must be able to preform craft needs, skinning, traps and triggers, fire sticks,preparing my meal,etc. Not chopping wood( not meaning the splitting of small branches for a fire), hunting bears, blazing trails or building log homes.
http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz148/Erratus/101_0388-1.jpg

I typically make knives that I would use and that work very well for my bushcraft needs and knowledge. This the normal outline or blank I make to begin a new bush knife. I like it because after hours of of using many knives this is the most comfortable in the hand and on the hip.I am not saying that a bushcraft knife must look like mine either.

So if you are a knife maker (amateur or professional) let me know what you think a bushcraft knife is and is not, and what shapes you like and why.

If you are a user of a bushcraft style but not a maker plz say so and let me know what you think a bushcraft knife is and is not, and what shapes you like and why.

I am also placing this on 2 other forums just to see what answers I get. If you comment on any of them please dont duplicate your response on the other 2 forums. Dont want the "jedi mind trick" coming into play as some ppl have more sway with their comments.

rwc1969
08-14-2010, 02:50 PM
To me it's any knife that you are capable of crafting bush with.

Erratus Animus
08-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Yup I agree.

kyratshooter
08-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Yes, and one in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

I think the discription is adequite with some special considerations for personel preference.

Inside those parimeters I have my own desires and so does the next person.

Erratus Animus
08-14-2010, 03:58 PM
http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz148/Erratus/101_0389-1.jpg

Rick
08-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Just a user. I have no idea. Not trying to be funny but any knife I carry would fit the bill. I choose a knife for the job it can do. I have no idea what the definition of a bushcraft knife would be. Bushcraft sort of spans a lot of jobs from skinning to woodworking (traps, whistles, etc.) to fixing dinner.

crashdive123
08-14-2010, 05:57 PM
I've been enjoying learning about and making knives. I honestly do not label them with a particular style. For me, a knife is a knife is a knife. If it will do the tasks that I need it to do, then I will use it. I think some of the labels stem from an ever increasing focus on specialties. Call it marketing. Survival knife, bushcraft knife, skinning knife, and on and on. Give me a medium sized kitchen knife and it will probably do the things I need it to do. Sure, some shapes are going to be better for certain tasks - pick the one that works best for you. OleWVCoot really likes his Nessies - does that make it a bushcraft knife? Skinner? Survival knife? I guess it all depends on what he is using it for today.

rwc1969
08-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Actually I'm not a knife maker, didn't see that part, and was kinda being a smartaZZ, but I do like the shape of the one pictured and don't like a hollow ground, although most of my knives are. I like a 5 or 6" blade too, but can get in trouble with that length here in MI if I'm not careful due to concealed carry laws and such.

crashdive123
08-14-2010, 10:21 PM
He was looking for opinions from everybody, not just knife makers.

Erratus Animus
08-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Yup just wondering what others thought. If a person never looks outside his sphere of operation he lives in a vacuum of ignorance. hey that sounded zenish lol

crashdive123
08-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Either that, or you used to be an Electrolux salesman.

Winter
08-14-2010, 11:09 PM
I like the design. Looks very organic and flowing.

As to what a bushcraft knife is? It's all in how you use it.

Erratus Animus
08-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Either that, or you used to be an Electrolux salesman.

That would suck for certain :innocent:

Sarge47
08-14-2010, 11:38 PM
IMHO, when you say Bushcraft I think of Mors Kochanski's book by the same title. His "Bushcraft knife-of-chlice" is a simple Mora with a 4' blade like the one Cody Lundin uses. It's as good of a place to start as any and you can only go up from there. I'm like Crash, what ever knife you have that gets you through the day! :cool2:

Sourdough
08-15-2010, 12:56 AM
I like more "Belly" than most. For fleshing hides I like a lot of "Belly". A 3 3/4" to 4 1/2" Drop Point with a lot of belly and I am happy......:)