PDA

View Full Version : Used the dehydrated Turkey.

Winnie
08-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Back in April I dehydrated some cooked, ground Turkey thigh. I vacuum sealed it and then put the packet in a canning jar.
Yesterday I opened the packet and it was still sound so I made a one pot mince and veggie dinner with it.
Here is the verdict.
Visual: Looked just like Cooked, minced Turkey thigh.
Smell: Actually it smelt quite appetising.
Taste: Tasted exactly like fresh, cooked Turkey thigh.
Texture: Here's the kicker, it was very hard, even after overnight soaking in the fridge and gentle simmering for over an hour.

Overall would I dehydrate Turkey again? Not the way I had prepared before and not that particular cut.
Next time, I'm going to roast a piece of breast and then either mince or thinly slice and see how that goes.
I'll keep you informed!

Rick
08-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Nice write up. I've dried ground turkey but I haven't done whole. Your minced and my ground would be comparable I'd think. I wonder why it didn't rehydrate? I've never had a problem especially with a soak that long. I've never vacuumed it. I've always stuck dehydrated meat in a zip lock bag.

Pal334
08-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Perhaps it was the cut of Turkey you used? I would be interested in seeing how the breast meat works out. Thanks for the review

Winnie
08-13-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm thinking that was the problem Pal. It's a learning process and I was really just checking if I could actually do it.

I used the method you suggested Rick, I dry fried it first then dehydrated. The method worked well. Just don't use thigh meat!

Rick
08-13-2010, 02:49 PM
That may be it. When I use ground turkey I use breast meat. The dark meat is drier than the white in my opinion. That does seem to be the only difference.

Sourdough
08-13-2010, 07:47 PM
That may be it. When I use ground turkey I use breast meat. The dark meat is drier than the white in my opinion. That does seem to be the only difference.

Well there the the color issue, the color seems to be different......:innocent::innocent::innocent::snea ky2:

kyratshooter
08-13-2010, 08:41 PM
I put a turkey in the smoker one night and slept through the alarm I had set to remind me to remove it. In the morning I had 10 pounds of turkey jerky, still on the bone.

The kids loved it! No matter what I did to it it retained that crunchy texture. Tough as shoe leather too.

crashdive123
08-13-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the review Winnie.

Rick
08-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Well there the the color issue, the color seems to be different.

I'm sure there will be an inquiry by the attack geese to determine just how you know that fact. They consider turkeys to be their more backward cousins. Still, they are blood.

No matter what I did to it it retained that crunchy texture. Tough as shoe leather too.

On the upside, it won't spoil, rot, mold or mildew. It may well survive beyond anything else on the planet. True survival food.