PDA

View Full Version : food fatigue

wareagle69
08-12-2010, 09:11 PM
been suffering from this for a while, tried living off of my supplies just for a curiosity case. i fall victim to sales at the store seem some canned food for 70% off then i buy a hundred off them, then i gotta live on that, great at first, then boooorrrrrring, lots of stuff that way, make sure you have alot of variety in your stores.
Makes me think about those that want to go into the bush with limited supplies, sure moose or deer is great but not every day.
food fatigue is where even when you have a bunch of food in the cupboard you would rather go hungry, cuz if i have to eat pasta or hotdoga again today i'm gonna ralph everywhere

gryffynklm
08-12-2010, 09:39 PM
I had to eat out of the cupboard for two months and found the same thing lots of beans corn and string beans. I bought on sale and neglected the stock up on the rest of the recipe. I ended up doing things like making a canned veg salad with a dash of vinegar, dried oregano dill salt, pepper and Tabasco. I also did a canned tomato veg soup. I had to go shopping some of the dried herbs. I've only been stocking for a short time and eating out of the cupboard definitely made me rethink my buying on sale, I also pick up some go withs. It also made me rethink restocking because there were some things we stocked that we eat more then others. Any way still sorting out the changes to what and how much we stock. If you haven't tried eating from stores for the experience try it it might help sort a few things out. I highly recommend testing your storage strategy.

your_comforting_company
08-12-2010, 11:36 PM
We've been eating our stores, like we do every year. I guess I'm a venison and potato kind of guy. I can eat that stuff every day and never get tired of it. There's all kinds of ways to fix it up and even use leftovers to make a whole new meal! ever tried grilled venison sauteed in pearl onions, made into soup with peas, corn, squash, okra, and tomatoes?
All were leftovers in the fridge from this week.
Made a helluva delicious meal tonight.

I guess that's the purpose of this post.. BORING FOOD. Get creative with the stuff you have. Rather than buying 100 servings of the same thing just because it's on sale, buy 50 and come up with 10 different ways to fix it with spices, or supplements from your yard or garden.

.. of course, everybody likes a good taco every now and then, right?
maybe a good place to bounce around really simple recipes to spice up ordinary food store items?

Rick
08-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Probably why early Americans cooked a lot of soups, stews and porridge. The mingling of flavors helps reduce boredom, it makes the food stretch farther with the added liquid and you can keep it on the fire all day to keep it from spoiling.

hunter63
08-13-2010, 10:26 AM
"Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot, nine days old........."
Nursey rhyme.

I guess I never gave it a thought, when I had heard this rhyme as a child, and really didn't think about it at all for many years.

Then there was a several day stretch, at a deer camp when a large pot of bean soup ( kinda got looking like peas porrige) was pretty much all that was left, before pack out.
11 days, no showers, and bean soup......not a pretty sight (and that not all)

That kinda made me think about it, when looking at the ads for "One year survival food" assortments available list of contents.

Lot of #10 cans of beans, peas, rice, wheat etc, pasta, and kinda got me wondering just what would you make with that?
For how long? A year? (says a year in the ads)

As a person that has gotten used to something different at most every meal, after a upbringing of eating the same thing every week..........Pot roast on Mon, Chicken on Sunday, Fish on Friday.....You get the idea, this would be a concern for me/us.

I gonna say that you better get real creative on recipes, spices, methods, as well as foraging.

Sometime I think that when gardening/foraging, that stuff ready to be picked or harvested is only ready, ripe, etc for a short time, it's by natural design.......because if had to eat it every day, you would get sick of it.

Of course just your basic hunger is the best "seasoning".

As far as buying on sale/bulk, we do it to a point, but try to stay away from things that will go badand be wasted.
We do try to have the fixings for complete meals when doing a bulk buy, that helps.

Good subject!

trax
08-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Of course the other side of the coin is, if you're not aware of a hundreds of different varieties of foods, then you wouldn't know what you were missing out on.

Trabitha
08-14-2010, 12:30 PM
I get SICK of the same meal VERY quickly. Always have. I know my supplies are a bit scattered, but in the end if I have to live from my pantry for a while...I can keep my menu different. I grew up on a farm where we grew our own food. When things came into season, we needed to eat THAT for a long time. I was lucky that my mother kept a lot of her old recipes from that time and has shared them with me. Lots of soups, stews, and pot pie sort of things. I just make sure of bringing my menus with me when going to the store to purchase bulk...and if I can't make at least 3 things with that case of beans...I move on to other things. ;)

Justin Case
08-14-2010, 12:39 PM
If one is TRULY Hungry, almost anything tastes good and you will be damn glad to have it. Even if its the same thing over and over,,

hunter63
08-14-2010, 12:52 PM
We have been spoiled by the fact that we have refrigeration, freezers, canning that won't kill you, imports from around the world, out of your season, endless array of spices, dryers, etc to insure that we have balanced diet.

I sure your Grandparents, Great-Grandparents, if still alive, could tell you how to make do with what you have, be thankful for it, then tell you about eating rutabaga's for several winters in a row.......................Of course they would also provide 101 recipes.

"What we are having "left-overs again"?, generally would bring a slap on the back of the head.

Winnie
08-14-2010, 01:52 PM
I've suffered food fatigue some years ago when flat broke and living on what the dog caught. I can truthfully say, you get through it when you're hungry enough. However, to this day Rabbit would be the last thing on the menu.

rwc1969
08-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Just go hungry for a day or two and the fatigue will subside.

I have days whre nothing looks good and that's sometimes what I do to get over it.

I remember working 12-18 hours a day doing heating and cooling work. I had little time to prepare a lunch or stop and eat at a nice restaurant, so I'd eat fast food. After a month or two I got so sick of the fast food I wasn't even hungry anymore and just skipped lunch altogether. And trying to scarf down any meal in 10-15 minutes day after day all covered in soot, insulation and who knows what else just plain sucked anyhoo.

your_comforting_company
08-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Winnie should have a few rabbit recipes. Care to share any of them? I'm sure you came up with some creative ways to fix 'em up.

Batch
08-15-2010, 01:39 PM
That's a mental thing. I know a guy who eats the exact same thing ever day. Such as Tacos on Thursday and Chinese (same dish) on Friday. But every day of the week he has exactly what he had the week before. So every Friday for lunch he has either one or two hot dogs with chili, cheese, mustard and onions.

I would need to change up daily and make small changes to the recipe occasionally.

Winnie
08-15-2010, 02:43 PM
That's a mental thing. I know a guy who eats the exact same thing ever day. Such as Tacos on Thursday and Chinese (same dish) on Friday. But every day of the week he has exactly what he had the week before. So every Friday for lunch he has either one or two hot dogs with chili, cheese, mustard and onions.

I would need to change up daily and make small changes to the recipe occasionally.

That's not so much a problem, if you have a budget to stick to, at least you know exactly how much is being spent on food:)

Rabbit recipes.... stew, leftover stew blitzed into soup, other leftover stew made into a suet pudding. Roast Rabbit, Rabbit pie, Rabbit shepherds pie, Rabbit curry, Rabbit chilli, warm Rabbit with wild salad leaves, savoury batter pudding filled with pulled Rabbit, onions and gravy, Rabbit meatloaf. I could go on.......

wareagle69
08-15-2010, 03:01 PM
brings to mind a scene from a movie-you can bbq it, bake it, broil it, saute it,..........good ole gump

Batch
08-15-2010, 03:14 PM
That's not so much a problem, if you have a budget to stick to, at least you know exactly how much is being spent on food:)

Rabbit recipes.... stew, leftover stew blitzed into soup, other leftover stew made into a suet pudding. Roast Rabbit, Rabbit pie, Rabbit shepherds pie, Rabbit curry, Rabbit chilli, warm Rabbit with wild salad leaves, savoury batter pudding filled with pulled Rabbit, onions and gravy, Rabbit meatloaf. I could go on.......

We lived in suburbia. But, raised rabbits. We provided meat for all the BSA jamborees in the area and also sold rabbits to pet stores as well. Well a neighbor complained and we were told we had to get rid of all but three rabbits. A rough count was we had 175 rabbits and we had two weeks to sell or give away as many as we could.

You can't find enough people to give away a more common house hold pet that requires no cage such as cats and dogs. You ain't finding 175 homes for rabbits. I think we gave away like ten.

Then my father and I went to butchering and butchering. LOL

We ate rabbit till it came out of our ears. Breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Rick
08-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Oh, wow. I missed the call about the rabbit breakfasts, lunch and dinners. I like leftovers.

Ken
08-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Oh, wow. I missed the call about the rabbit breakfasts, lunch and dinners. I like leftovers.

We do, too. Especially pulled pork. :blushing:

crashdive123
08-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Yeah - like there's gonna be any left overs. :sad:

Rick
08-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Sadly, the USPS notified me there is an obscure law prohibiting the bringing of pulled pork into a postal facility. They regrettably confiscated the QC sample and asked if I had any sauce.

Ken
08-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Sadly, the USPS notified me there is an obscure law prohibiting the bringing of pulled pork into a postal facility. They regrettably confiscated the QC sample and asked if I had any sauce.

You sure is was USPS?

http://www.linkdev.com/Images/Clients/SaudiPost.gif

Rick
08-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Wait a minute. That guy WAS wearing a turbin! What the?!.........

finallyME
08-17-2010, 11:26 AM
I had food fatigue when I had to eat MRE's all the time. There are 24 different menus, but they do get old. My co-driver and I would take a box of 12 meals, open up all of them and put them all back in the box loose. Then just eat what we wanted and throw the rest to the Iraqi kids. It was amazing what you liked at the beginning compared to at the end. It was also funny to see the different ways of making the food interesting.

Old GI
08-17-2010, 11:43 AM
I have a food boredom problem only when my wife is away. Every meal she cooks is a SURPRISE!........ :hammer: OUCH!

Rick
08-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Dear Mrs. Old GI,

Please read the enclosed post from Mr. Old GI........

nell67
08-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Mr. Rick,

Thank you so much for bringing this post to my attention!

I can assure you,AND Mr. OLD GI,that his food boredom has only just begun,no more surprises for him,nosireee!

From now on,it's going to be the same thing,night after night,no need for him to bother asking the question he already has the answer to, " What's for dinner?"
My only problem with this plan,will be HOW to dress up tuna casserole for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner!

Again,Thank You Mr. Rick,and to prove my appreciation,a nice hot blueberry pie is on it's way to your door at this very moment!

God Bless,and Enjoy!

Mrs.OLD GI

Rick
08-17-2010, 02:27 PM
I'll bet he's never had microwaved cornflakes......yet.

Old GI
08-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm the boss of my house! (OK, she's gone for another two weeks.) How do I delete these darn posts before she gets back?

Rick
08-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Muhahahahahahahaha!