PDA

View Full Version : for the horse folks

wareagle69
08-12-2010, 08:50 PM
just wondering some prices around the way
hay -2.50 per sq bale of good timothy the second cut of alphla is 3.00 per bale this yr
horse feed is 20 bucks a 50 kg bag
beet pulp is 13 bucks a 50 kg bag
i also feed apples and carrots for about 10 bucks a week
and a shot of vitamin supplent every morning mixed in with beet pulp
i feed about 4-6 lbs per day of beet pulp depending on the horse and 10 to 12 lbs of hay per horse and 2lbs of grain plus free grazing

Beans
09-17-2010, 03:55 AM
The last time I checked was last year and hay 70 lb bale was $12-15 USD in this area. :scared:

nell67
09-17-2010, 05:31 AM
Hay here can run up to $6 a bale (small square)and up to $45 a bale for large round bales.

LowKey
09-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Hay prices here are $3 to $4 square bale and $30 to $45 for a roll bale.
Gotta watch delivery charges too. Either quantity or distance.
I don't have a horse, just occasion to buy hay this year that wasn't silt fence hay ($1 to $2 bale)

Pocomoonskyeyes3
09-17-2010, 08:02 PM
The best "Deal" we have come across is $2.50/bale. We actually try to barter services/Labor for as much as we can. We had our stallion breed one mans mare for 100 bales. Which I thought was a good deal for both parties. Another guy we know will split a "800 bale Hay field" for merely splitting costs of fuel,baling twine,and helping with the associated work.

Feed is another story though. It has to be bought. For our horses a 50 lb. bag of pelleted feed costs @ $8. We always buy pelleted feed as it is easier for a horse to digest,and can have nutrients added. As a General rule we don't use a lot of supplements except for Pregnant Mares and colts.... maybe an older Horse when we have one of those.

We are fortunate in that our horses are "Easy Keepers". Meaning that they get a lot out of their food without having to be fed a large quantity or extra supplements.

Vet Checks, having Their teeth Floated(Ground down so that their teeth don't have sharp edges...This is done every other year), vaccinations, and Coggins tests annually( A required test for EIA - Equine Infectious Anemia) Are almost always done around Tax return time so we don't really notice the "Big Expense" there. Other vet expenses are dealt with as they turn up.

Pocomoonskyeyes3
09-25-2010, 11:14 AM
How's this for a deal in Hay? We help in the hayfield, split costs in diesel fuel, and bought some Baling twine.... total cost -@ $53, so far we have gotten 135 bales. None of the equipment is ours, so we just help loading hay and hauling wagons/trailers to the barn. Still more hay to come....

wareagle69
09-25-2010, 02:46 PM
i like the barter system, did that last year with my vet, while i was laid off i did a reno at his office, still owed me a few bucks as of monday when he came out to look at the mare, her foot abcessed again, leanred allot about how to care for that tho, not much to get excited about...