PDA

View Full Version : Bowdrill

dustintml
08-12-2010, 03:38 PM
So I have tried off on for probably two years now to start a fire with the bowdrill to no avail. Getting smoke is easy, and so is getting black dust, but I just can't seem to get a coal. I have used spruce and quaking aspen. I may have tried with balsam fir before; I can't remember. I live on Prince Edward Island, so the woods available to me would be your New England area kind of woods. Any tips from someone from the New England/Atlantic Canadian area who has successfully done this before? I have read that fir is the best wood available in this part of the country, and that may be my problem (not sure if I tried with it before or not). I did get a bunch of stuff for a fir bowdrill set recently, but it wasn't dry/dead enough so I have been letting dry in the shed. I think this kind of defeats the purpose though; I'd like to be able to just go out, find the pieces in the woods, and start a fire with them. That is how it would be in an actual survival situation, but then again, in an actual survival situation I would likely be in the wilderness so a greater variety of woods would be available to me .... anyway, any tips you can give me.

Winter
08-12-2010, 03:42 PM
I have never been able to start a bowdrill fire here. I got one going in Tx once.

The woods here are predominately coniferous with the occasional mountain ash and alder.

I could use a bit of advice as well.

crashdive123
08-12-2010, 04:17 PM
So I have tried off on for probably two years now to start a fire with the bowdrill to no avail. Getting smoke is easy, and so is getting black dust, but I just can't seem to get a coal. I have used spruce and quaking aspen. I may have tried with balsam fir before; I can't remember. I live on Prince Edward Island, so the woods available to me would be your New England area kind of woods. Any tips from someone from the New England/Atlantic Canadian area who has successfully done this before? I have read that fir is the best wood available in this part of the country, and that may be my problem (not sure if I tried with it before or not). I did get a bunch of stuff for a fir bowdrill set recently, but it wasn't dry/dead enough so I have been letting dry in the shed. I think this kind of defeats the purpose though; I'd like to be able to just go out, find the pieces in the woods, and start a fire with them. That is how it would be in an actual survival situation, but then again, in an actual survival situation I would likely be in the wilderness so a greater variety of woods would be available to me .... anyway, any tips you can give me.

Your_Comforting_Company (YCC) is our resident bow drill "go to" guy.

your_comforting_company
08-12-2010, 04:23 PM
check your elements.
notch width? enough spin without squeek? enough pressure?

I have not used any of those woods, though I've had success with black willow, yucca, nandina, and crepe myrtle. I try not to use conifer woods, as around here they are usually sappy.
Perhaps if you guys elaborate a litle more on your process, and where it goes wrong, I might be able to help troubleshoot.

One thing I do, after I get smoke, I increase pressure and spin for a few seconds. This usually is the little extra kick it needs to turn grey smoke to yellow, and kick an ember out.
grey smoke is not hot enough. Look for the change... that little wisp of yellowish smoke.
And BREATHE! as you exhale, blow down gently toward the dustpile. sometimes the extra air circulation speeds up the process. Some days I can get fire in 3 minutes or less. Some days it takes me a couple tries. Hope that helps. If you can explain a little better, I may be able to offer more advice.

letslearntogether47
08-12-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm no expert(just posted 1st time today),but I can make fire just about every time with my starter set.
My suggestion would be to purchase some white cedar at a wood shop or Home Improvement store first.Cut your fire board and spindle from that wood probably a 1" x 6".
Make sure your spindle is multifaceted,hexagon shape works pretty good.This seems to help the rope from slipping.
Some nice cotton clothes line for the bow cortege has worked for me.
Biggest problem I had when first starting is sting slippage and too much residence in the hand hold.Look to get a nice bearing block and lube it good.
The reason I suggest purchased wood is because it's not only about materials,but technique as well.If you can get fire with the best of materials then you will notice when things are just not right with natural woods.
Squealing,ember burns out fast,no smoke.You'll know right away if you have some wood that just wont work.
Again,no expert here,just a guy that was struggling on and off for a few years and then got a coal.

Good luck.

wareagle69
08-12-2010, 08:33 PM
not my cup of tea, i prefer a different method, but my mentor is very accomplished in this method even using a method he calls "bows" bow drill it is a two stick method as a fire board, the two sticks tied togetjer and using that as your notch, try googling the name allen bow beauchamp and look at his many articles

Alec_end
08-13-2010, 08:21 PM
What woods would you guys recommend for making the bow drill in Australia because I know that the Aborigines were able to make a bow drill without the bow they just made a notch in a fire board and used a stick in their hands and they used the same motion as a bow drill. So I was wondering if anyone knew what woods they would use for it.

Cheers Alec

your_comforting_company
08-13-2010, 10:27 PM
Sorry, I just don't know much about the plants of australia. Look for light woods. you should generally be able to dent it with your thumbnail, and it should grow pretty straight. a tighter grain usually grinds into a finer powder.
I try just about everything that fits those descriptions.

Alec_end
08-14-2010, 01:49 AM
Ok thanks man I will see what works when i get up to the farm.

wareagle69
08-14-2010, 07:26 AM
i think what you reffering to is a hand drill, allan halcon is great at hand drills maybe look him up, that is something i have never tried

Alec_end
08-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Yer thanks man i looked up his videos and his advice was really helpful.

Thanks alec

wareagle69
08-15-2010, 09:03 AM
glad to be of help

Rick
08-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Alec - Why not pose that question to a local? If you know someone that spends time outdoors then they might be able to answer your question on the type of wood.

Alec_end
08-16-2010, 04:59 AM
Yer i would have done that but because I live in the center of newcastle and my dad loves to fish but he is not into survival and primitive stuff as much like when i use my fire steel he is like y not use a matches. There is really not a lot of people to ask and i don't get to go bush anywhere near as i like i wanted some advice about what woods were good ones before i went this firday.

your_comforting_company
08-16-2010, 06:26 AM
Admittedly, I'm not real "search savvy" but I tried to look up a few plants that grow here and in Australia. The results mostly pointed to cannabis. If that is the case and it's so abundant, I say try that. I did find some info that would suggest (to me) that yucca grows there. That is one of my favored materials.

This link tells me that cottonwood grows in Australia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibiscus_tiliaceus

You might do some similar searching and find plants like the ones I've mentioned, or just start trying random materials that have the right qualities.

crashdive123
08-16-2010, 06:43 AM
Alec - some possible local sources of information on what plants might be available in your are are the University of Newcastle, Australian Plant Society, or even a local plant nursurey.

Alec_end
08-16-2010, 07:45 AM
OK thanks guys and I think I might struggle to get cannabis lol. I think that I might just try random woods if I can’t get the info form the uni or the local nursery. I am really pumped for camping on firday and I would like to thank everyone for all the great advice.

Alec_end
08-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Actually I think I saw cannabis plant growing just up the creek form my nan’s so I might keep my eyes peeled for one just for a bow drill lol.

Rick
08-16-2010, 07:51 AM
So, if you are having trouble getting an ember with cannabis and you only make smoke, will there be a point at which you don't care if you make an ember or not? Just curious.

letslearntogether47
08-16-2010, 07:55 AM
So, if you are having trouble getting an ember with cannabis and you only make smoke, will there be a point at which you don't care if you make an ember or not? Just curious.

The quest for fire might turn into a search for wild edibles.:tongue_smilie:

crashdive123
08-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Now that right there is funny. I don't care who you are.

Alec_end
08-16-2010, 08:42 AM

Probably after five min I will stop caring about having a fire for warmth and being more worried about having a continues flow of smoke and if I do get an ember I will put it out quick as not to waste good cannabis on stupid fire. :innocent:

rwc1969
08-16-2010, 10:39 PM
The quest for fire might turn into a search for wild edibles.:tongue_smilie:

LOL!

My search for wild edibles has turned into a quest for fire. I'm still recovering from last winter's attempt at bowdrill fire, but when I do I'm going to give Autumn olive a try. It doesn't seem too hard and has all kinds of straight branches in all sizes. And I think the bark may make a good makeshift cordage as well. There are a number of other related bushes that may have the same characteristics.

your_comforting_company
08-17-2010, 10:12 PM
rwc... check this out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaeagnus_umbellata

the berries are good for you. you may have another multi-use plant there!

and according to this it's invasive, so eating the berries and harvesting the limbs would be a good thing!
http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/plants/autmnolive.shtml

sthrnstrong
08-18-2010, 12:06 AM
Does anyone else notice that YCC is a walking and talking survival encyclopedia? Good job on the education YCC, I always learn something new when post a comment.

your_comforting_company
08-18-2010, 06:03 AM
Thanks sthrn. The world is full of wonder and knowledge. I try to keep it equal amounts of both. RWC opened the door, I explored the opportunity, and found a new resource. I have learned so many things from you guys, that I feel it's my duty to share any new info with you.
I view everything as a potential resource. Rather than being locked in a "struggle for survival" I hope my knowledge will help folks realize that we are creatures of nature, not seperate and apart from it. Rather than being parasitic and destructive, we can be symbiotic and productive.
What's that old saying again? the more ya know, the less you have to carry. The interweb is a wonderful source of information that would otherwise be unavailable to me. This forum is a terrific resource for ideas and possibilities to be explored.
I simply explored the possibility.

When everything you set your eyes on is seen as a resource that can make life more comfortable, you realize that people lived for aeons without our "modern" resources, and they did it comfortably.

For me, the world is full of wonder. I can't take credit for what was published on the net. I can take credit for my desiring to learn, but that's all. Before RWC's post, I had no idea what an "autumn olive" even was!
The funny thing, indigenous children would have already known this (tree) by the time they were 1/4 of my age... hey, I didn't say I was a fast learner hahaha!

(sorry for the rant!)

rwc1969
08-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks YCC! But, I gotta confess, I made some Autumn olive fruit leather the other day and yesterday I found out Autumn olive leaves make good tinder, the branches are all sizes from pencil lead on up and take a flame like they're soaked in gas. I made a fire yesterday using reindeer moss and the autumn olive. It was the easiest fire I ever made. I used a lighter, but only enough to get an ember. Then I blew on the reindeer moss and crushed leaf pile and poof, instant fire. Threw a bunch of small AO branches on that and poof instant bonfire.

I've actually known Autumn olive for a long time as a food source and cover for wild game, but confused it with Russian olive and perhaps a few other species as well. But, until a couple years back I didn't know it had edible berries. I didn't trust the source of the edibilty info and researched further until this year. Now I'm confident and familiar enough with AO to use it as an edible fruit. The ripe red berries are AOK, kinda like cranberries or Granny Smith apples in flavor, sweet, but tart.

But, back to the subjext of the thread, I was out last winter trying the bowdrill and found lots of dead Autumn olive branches. Many are real straight and they looked like the right consistency for bowdrill. I don't recall if I ever got around to trying them. I think I gave up before getting to the AO.

Around here it is really invasive, back in the 60's? the govt' used it extensively to fill in old ag areas, strip mine areas, roadsides, etc. to prevent erosion all across the country.

After reading your posts YCC, I look at every part of every thing I see as a potential resource for something, but there's only so much time in the day and I can't try em all. I've been spreading the word about the AO in hopes others who are more expereinced, or not, will give it a try as a firestarter.

It's you and WE's train of thought that I admire most, the skills are great, but it's the thought process I like the the most. you've both taught me a lot and you could have not showed me a thing and I'd have still learned just by understanding the thought process that goes into what you guys do and how you go about learning something.

You are both a great asset to this forum. Many here are! But, you two have a way about you that just works.

Thank you both for the wisdom you impart upon us all. :)

your_comforting_company
08-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Wish I'd have gotten into this mindset when I didn't have obligations.. job, kids, bills, etc. I don't have a great deal of spare time myself, but I try to make the best of every moment I do have. There is just so much to learn and it all takes practice and hands-on. Sometimes I just don't have the energy level after work to focus/practice the way I'd like to.
Let us know how your experiment goes, when you have time to give it a try. I'll keep my eyes open for some and if I do locate some, I'll give it a go also.