PDA

View Full Version : A specific thread for plant ID's

esp
08-12-2010, 08:11 AM
That would be very very helpful, we could all look at it in a flash, and maybe more help would be there for thoise who want to know if soemone can ID a plant/weed/tree.

There is another very good forum that is out there that has this and it is very handy, only problem is people who can identify plants, always give you the latin name-LOL

I always need the common name, it saves me some research steps.

crashdive123
08-12-2010, 08:16 AM
Not a forum, but Chris has a link to a pretty darn good data base (common and scientific names) http://www.wildcrafting.net/ It is the last sub-forum link in the Survival section.

esp
08-12-2010, 08:25 AM
Not a forum, but Chris has a link to a pretty darn good data base (common and scientific names) http://www.wildcrafting.net/ It is the last sub-forum link in the Survival section.

I have been to that site, it is a very good one, but sometimes if you can take a photo of your own plant, and post it, somebody can ID it for you easier than the via the pics at some sites.

but thanks for the info.

your_comforting_company
08-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Latin names are specific and necessary. I encourage you to learn the latin names because latin is a dead language and does not evolve or change, the way live languages do. There are several plants my grandmother calls portulaca, but only one truly is. There are several other examples of ambiguity with common names, but if you are talking about specific plants, that is the BEST way to refer to them. There will be no doubt what plant you are talking about.

Rick
08-12-2010, 02:01 PM
YCC is correct. The problem with common names is the same name can apply to several different plants. We've seen that occur on this forum several times. A plant is called one name in one part of the country and that same name is used to identify an entirely different plant somewhere else. Latin is the same way to go.

BENESSE
08-12-2010, 02:31 PM
That's exactly why the medical profession uses Latin in identifying practically everything from body parts to diseases.
The language might be dead but it's universal.
BTW...if your kids/grandkids ever have an option of taking Latin in school, make them do it. It will prove to be invaluable on so many levels.

crashdive123
08-12-2010, 04:11 PM
EGO reputo ut est a mirus informatio.

BENESSE
08-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Gratias ago vos.

crashdive123
08-12-2010, 05:16 PM
You're quite welcome.