PDA

View Full Version : Solar pannel died

kyratshooter
08-11-2010, 11:12 AM
After 8 years of use my $20 solar trickle panel died. I checked it this morning and there is not current comming off the panel.

This was a simple little auto battery charger hooked with aligator clamps to the battery. It was only rated at 1 am per hour, but it could keep me going all summer.

This panel was my origional set up that included the panel, a deep cycle battery and a power inverter/12v circuit. I used it as off grid power for my RV. At one point the system gave me reading lights for 2 hours each night from April until November, that was 2002 I believe.

I was living in the RV and building my house. I was off grid and using a generator for power tools.

I got my money's worth and learned a lot of tricks with that pannel. As long as you can charge at one amp for 16 hours and use one amp for 2 hours you can go forever!

Rick
08-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Jeepers. There isn't really too much to them. Could you have a broken conductor?

hunter63
08-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Did you try a continuity test?
Haveing work one day then just die sounds like a break in a line/cell, somewhere, usally they just slowly fade away.

kyratshooter
09-12-2010, 04:41 PM
I think I trashed it in the move. It has been stored and moved twice this year and I may have crunched it one time too many.